Bajazzo Clown wall machines

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
martynbr

Re: Bajazzo Clown wall machines

Post by martynbr »

Hi everyone, can someone show me what the end of this lever looks like I assume it’s shaped to stop the ball until another coin is inserted. Mine has unfortunately been broken off and I need to reproduce it. Any pics would be great thanks.
Attachments
8A335256-95F0-45C6-AC48-C65834894233a.jpg
joerg_gm

Post by joerg_gm »

Hey.

Here is a short video:

I made this video some time ago and it shows how the mechanism works.

Here are some images of the lever:
Attachments
IMG_0671a.jpg
IMG_0661a.jpg
IMG_0660a.jpg
martynbr

Post by martynbr »

Thank you so much. This is amazing! Mine is missing the piece below where it swivels. Thank you. I will make it and get it working correctly. Cheers
martynbr

Post by martynbr »

Thanks everyone for the information on the payout arm, this has been fixed and is now working when a coin is inserted.

I do have a couple of other questions if you are able to help.

1. Does anyone have the file for instruction card for the machine, I have the original machine without the circle token wheel just the token slide.
2. What is the size of the token that was used? is it 18mm?
3. My machine has the serial J354 stamped into it is anyone able to tell me approximately the year it was made?

Sorry for all the questions but appreciate the help.

Thanks
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

The tokens are around 17.5mm diameter as you can see from an example from my machine.
I've also uploaded a photo of my restored Clown so you can see the text of all the labels on it. (Pretty sure I've done this before.) It should be easy enough to make a copy using any computer drawing package. Looking at other examples in this thread, it would seem that the text varies quite a lot and I don't know whether mine is contemporary with your machine.
Finally, sorry but I can't date it for you.
Attachments
Clown-restored-01a.jpg
Clown-tokena.jpg
martynbr

Post by martynbr »

Thank you so much, appreciate the help. Are you able to show the thickness of the token as well? I might have to get some made as the cost of original ones are very expensive.

Your machine looks amazing.
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

The Clown you have looks to have a green cloth making it later, probably 1920s. The number on the side J... suggests it may be Jenson and made in Germany.

Regards tokens for this machine, they are quite easy to find. I suggest a wanted add on this site. They should cost you 25/50p each, depending if brass or silvered, and value on back 1 or 2. Higher payment of 3, 4, 6 are quite rare and would cost £1 each, if you could find them, although you would only want one or two as a "random jackpot". Cheaper than having them made and original for the machine. 50 would be plenty for this machine.
joerg_gm

Post by joerg_gm »

martynbr wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:07 pm
3. My machine has the serial J354 stamped into it is anyone able to tell me approximately the year it was made?

Could you post more pictures of your machine, including the inside? This would help to find the producer and production time of your Clown.
Judging by the picture you posted earlier, I would say it's not a German-made machine.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

martynbr they are 1.2mm thick but, as sweetmeats says, it probably would be cheaper to buy the originals, unless you know a very helpful mechanic who could stamp them out for you.. They do come up on Ebay from time to time at about 50p each.

Isn't it amazing that machines of around 100 years old are still working with only a little refurb. Mine needed practically every spring replacing but that isn't surprising really.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

sweetmeats wrote:The Clown you have looks to have a green cloth making it later, probably 1920s
Interesting....... the subject of cloth colours (brown, red, green,) and their introduction, has been discussed before but no one has yet demonstrated definitive proof or any firm information about the dates of the introduction of these colours. I suspect that the colour sequence will never be established.

sweetmeats, not saying you are wrong but how do you know the green cloth was introduced in the 1920s?
martynbr

Post by martynbr »

Thank you everyone for the help on the Bajazzo. Its finally completed.

Here are the before and after photos, sorry not sure why they have rotated.
Attachments
Before
Before
IMG_7258a.jpg
IMG_7261a.jpg
IMG_7229a.jpg
IMG_7226a.jpg
After
After
IMG_7756a.jpg
IMG_7760a.jpg
IMG_7736a.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Outstanding work!! !!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Fantesticles! :cool:
joerg_gm

Post by joerg_gm »

Looks good. !THUMBS!
But why did you remove the reserve ball mechanics? This is very rare with such Clowns.
I'm sure it was added later, but somehow it's also part of the history.

Nevertheless a very nice machine.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Very very good. Well done martynbr.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Excellent developmental history of the Clown/Bajazzo at Alte Spielautomaten.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Thanks for the link Mr P to the Alte Spielautomaten website. Very interesting.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

The Alte Spielautomaten article is an excellent resource on the Bajazzo. Any way we can add it to the inventory, Mr. PM?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Actually Alte-Spielautomaten is in Archive/Links/European Slot Machine Websites, and has been for years. It remains a great source of diligent ongoing research into pre-war German slot machine production.

If you find any other decent slot machine-related sites not already listed, please do click the provided form links and add them to the Archive.
phurst

"Katgit" Clown Catcher glass removal

Post by phurst »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hello all,

I recently picked up a Clown Catcher called "Katgit". It could use some love cosmetically, and some fine tuning, but it DOES work, with the occasional hiccup. I'm confident I can work out the mechanicals, but have run into a snag in the cosmetics department. There's a bit of mildew or mold growing on the wood below the playfield, where the coins stack up prior to being paid out. This area is covered by a second piece of glass, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove it so I can clean back there. It's bordered on top by the ball track, and on the left by a strip of brass. The right and bottom are recessed into the wood. I assume the ball track can be removed somehow, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how.
Attachments
Area in question
Area in question
Inside
Inside
Full front
Full front