New additions to my collection

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
brigham

Re: New additions to my collection

Post by brigham »

ddstoys wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:18 pm That Sega looks great with the glass back and you're right, the old Harley does fit in well.
THAT is the first type of helicopter game I remember playing. Two rotors worked independently, instead of tilting the axis. It seemed to disappear quickly when the talking 'flying saucer' version appeared.
(Not a proper Harley, by the way).
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I know what you mean, in so much as it's not the typical 4 stroke twin V, but it is a Harley.
"The Hummer was a motorcycle model manufactured by Harley-Davidson from 1955 to 1959. However, the name "Hummer" is now incorrectly used generically to refer to all American-made single-cylinder two-stroke Harley-Davidson motorcycles manufactured from 1948 to 1966."
brigham

Post by brigham »

badpenny wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:22 pm I know what you mean, in so much as it's not the typical 4 stroke twin V, but it is a Harley.
"The Hummer was a motorcycle model manufactured by Harley-Davidson from 1955 to 1959. However, the name "Hummer" is now incorrectly used generically to refer to all American-made single-cylinder two-stroke Harley-Davidson motorcycles manufactured from 1948 to 1966."
The British version is called the BSA Bantam. Soviet one is the Minsk, or VOSKHOD. There ought to be a French one, too.
All originally DKW designs, 'liberated' after the war.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

And all humans look similar, but tend to be a tad different.
Some people will even claim the origin is two individuals in a garden.
Perhaps industrial espionage, war spoils and copying somebody else's research and development is much older than we thought.
The Japanese are masters at it.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

the original DKW design was not so much "liberated" in that we just took them, it was handed over to the allies as part of the war reparations, supposedly to cover part of the losses BSA incurred during the war in bomb damage and forced government production (BSA made a fortune making arms during the war anyway) I can just about understand why Britain got the designs (and Russia just stole them in East Germany) but the USA? why did they get them? Harley was producing their version even before BSA were (Russia simply rebuilt the German factory and started churning them out before anyone else!)
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Reminds me of the 'GPO' Bantam that was used by post office boys to deliver telegrams, the bike delivering only just enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Reminds me of the 'GPO' Bantam that was used by post office boys to deliver telegrams, the bike delivering only just enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding.
just what the modern pizza delivery man needs !OMFG!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I love this site. PennyMachine members are the BEST! :cool:

J Peterson
FanBoy, USA
roger

Hiding in plain sight...

Post by roger »

hiding.jpg
hiding.jpg (5.25 KiB) Viewed 312 times

Some time ago I responded to another post entitled "Ahrens Marathon Bike Race". I indicated that I had owned an American version of this machine manufactured by Munves Co. I had always assumed that it was a very rare machine. And now ddstoys posts a picture of his marvellous collection on July 8th with the Munves Bike Race hiding among dozens of British machines. Perhaps ddstoys will let us know when and where he acquired this Bike Race.
Thanks, ROGER
ddstoys

Re: Hiding in plain sight...

Post by ddstoys »

Hi Roger
My bike race came from a collector in Melbourne who was downsizing. I can’t remember where he said he got it. I bought a few machines in the same deal and it got confusing.

Do you still have yours? If so, I might need to pick your brain as mine's not working and hopefully get some time on it soon.