Sega mech problem

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
carpetlee

Sega mech problem

Post by carpetlee »

Hi I’m wondering if anyone can help I’ve got a Sega bonanza star took the reels out to replace and clean but now when I’ve put it all back together this lever is rubbing against the teeth and I can’t seem to work out where it goes it can only either be up rubbing against teeth or down and it seems to jamIf I wire it up everything seems to work okaySo I’m not too sure what’s going wrong This is only the second machine I’ve owned so pretty new to this and help would be appreciated I have Added photos thanks
Attachments
F0A14BA5-1BA1-446A-BF01-15B0FF1A5AABa.jpg
CB7342FE-3364-48E9-AA43-B6A8E101CB9Ea.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Sega mec problem

Post by coppinpr »

Only a guess because I can't really see what the part is (a photo of the part out of the machine would help ) My guess is this might be an added Sega part as it's not (I think from what I can see, a standard Mills part. It could be to do with paying a token (unlikely) or locking out the reels to stop any play. it seems to lock into the reel discs if its movement is back and forwards it would need to have a spring somewhere, if its side to side it would need a connection elsewhere to move it. Some machines have devices that stop the machine from being played at all when the mech is out of the case or if some fraud is in play. two things to try, first ,if it is a lockout its not really needed in home use,remove it and check that the machine works ok, also look to see what could possibly be used to push it back or to the side.
carpetlee

Post by carpetlee »

Yes I can’t seem to work out what it’s for all it seems to do is rub against the reels and slow everything down to a stop with a Clatter as it rubs against the teeth and yes it is spring-loaded it seems to work okay if I wire it back so it’s not touching the teeth just wasn’t sure cause I’ve had the reels out if it’s somehow went underneath the reels
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

It is part of the reel disc stop assembly and should return to the stop position when the main operating fork releases it at the end of the cycle. If it is dragging, either the operating fork is not pushed far enough by the handle or it has got bent. You could first try adjusting the dog and anvil by moving the bar inwards fractionally
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Tom, if that's the case why are there two? the normal one above it and that one(yellow)? and why would the machine work ok if that one is held back by hand? which it does!
Attachments
CB7342FE-3364-48E9-AA43-B6A8E101CB9Eba.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Every Sega I have owned, quite a few you could imagine has the two bars. Some Mills like this ropey one below also have them, usually later variants.
Attachments
743033D8-4D17-4B19-B15C-972E5CD5E8A8a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

True, I've never owned many Segas, but I've never noticed it before (and of course it's not in the Mills manual as far as I can see). Why did they think it needed two?
brigham

Post by brigham »

The two SEGA mechs I looked at last night don't have it. I'll check some more this evening.
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

It's listed in my Sega parts book as disc stop lever part no. 9118.
Attachments
20220715_142506a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

If that's part 10 in your manual, that part some of us call the anti reversing lever/catch, its role is to release a fraction before the spinner flicks the reels and re-engages with the pay-disks after they've stopped.
The timing is essential in order to do its job, which is to keep the reels from rolling backwards as you pull the handle. This would occur because as you pull the handle the reel stops lift and the kicker drags itself under the teeth on the discs before it fires. That action will move the reels backwards a tad. It can also cause a miss fire as the dics' teeth must all be in line and on edge as the kicker is released otherwise it misses.

However that's not the part I can see in The OP's photos. The arrow is pointing to a similar but different lever beneath the anti reversing lever. It looks like the bit one sees fitted at the top of the reels on mechs with Gold Award payments.
carpetlee

Post by carpetlee »

Thanks for the replies I think I’ve sorted it now I’ve just given the bottom of the arm a little bend and now it stays open and closes momentarily Before the machine cycles many thanks for the replies guys much appreciated