English Execution identification

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
tim575

English Execution identification

Post by tim575 »

I acquired an English Execution from Todd in a private sale back in 2015 and want to try and get some history on it. The U-tube video was done when it was under a prior ownership and attributed it to Charles Ahrens in 1930. Looking online and in books, the model itself does look maybe like the latter Ahrens smaller version (1930 not 1920). But all the Ahrens English Models I see look like they were in custom made cabinets. In this case it is a repurposed cabinet that used to hold some very old type of music machine. Is there any specific things I should look for to confirm the model maker was indeed Ahrens? Did Ahrens ever repurpose cabinets or only make his own? It appears to have seen many modifications over the years, remains of bayonet sockets and notes would seem to relate to 220V operation before it came to the US, motor seems very new, both could be part of conversion to power in the US. Refitted with relay circuit and modern coin mech. for US Quarter maybe also at that time. The cabinet is very unique to this one with that ledge under the model, maybe someone has seen it in another collection?

Attachments
FrontCaba.jpg
Modela.jpg
InsideBottoma.jpg
InsideNotesa.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: English Execution Identification

Post by pennymachines »

I'm afraid I can't throw much light on it. As you point out, the cabinet is atypical, but the model is unmistakably Ahrens, albeit a slightly wider version than other oversized Ahrens English Executions. The marquee frame has the distinctive Ahrens shape, so if that's original, it suggests the cabinet is Ahren's work too.

I have vague memories of seeing an enormous version of this in a collection many years ago. Unfortunately, it was dark and pre-digital camera days.

Below - Ahrens English Execution - wide c1921 model (with incorrect marquee), page 25 of Darren Hesketh's book.
Attachments
ee1.jpg
tim575

Re: English Execution identification

Post by tim575 »

Thank you for the feedback. I have seen pics of Ahrens executions that were half height for the model, later 1930 version. One is on p26 of the Penny-in-the-Slot Automata and the Working Model book by Hesketh. From another forum member that has seen these I also had feedback that the mechanism and large wooden pulley wheel is correct for Ahrens, but they only used their own cabinets, whereas this one is in an old Polyphon type cabinet.

One possible suggestion was that in the UK there were several documented fires on piers and arcades and at least two of those had Ahrens machines destroyed or partly damaged, so this could have been one that was salvaged and re-cased.

Remaining question is if anyone has seen a working model in this style cabinet before in any collection or arcade, as I am sure it is likely the only one like that, or any mention of restoring Ahrens models that were fire damaged to put together more history on it.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: English Execution identification

Post by pennymachines »

tim575 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:35 pm One possible suggestion was that in the UK there were several documented fires on piers and arcades and at least two of those had Ahrens machines destroyed or partly damaged, so this could have been one that was salvaged and re-cased.
That sounds very plausible. Apparently Ahrens himself built one or two cabinets to house models built by others.