Reel mech query

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Reel mech query

Post by badpenny »

You're right, which is why I dithered at the beginning of this thread over whether an additional function had been employed such as a counter.

However we don't know if the mech (or parts of it) haven't been swapped from an older machine at some time in its dark murky past.
I've mentioned before on here that I'd arrive in the 60s to do a Summer stint at Uncle Gordon's arcade in Paignton to learn that the day before opening for the season he'd been grabbing mechs from one side of the bench and chucking them into the nearest cabinet at the other end. He usually ended up with a perfectly working mech that in no way possible would ever fit into the only case left.

It wasn't unusual days later to realise a Firman bandit sporting number reels was sitting comfortably in a case awarding fruits.

BP
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Thank you. The ubiquitous reel swap. It appears to be a Sega part although I can’t think of any that would have had need for this ‘extension’. :!?!:
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

cheeky wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:58 am Thank you. The ubiquitous reel swap. It appears to be a Sega part although I can’t think of any that would have had need for this ‘extension’. :!?!:
As for Uncle Gordon, I bet you wish you were back there today purloining/borrowing some of those machines. 😉
Last edited by cheeky on Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I still believe it is possible it was in a machine with a special feature (or the feature was removed from your machine). I've seen similar where this sort of attachment moves every time the handle is pulled and turns a cog which in turn drops the tooth into a deeper slot every 5th pull, deactivating a switch and ending the special feature, if the special was not switched on by the payouts it simply clicks round harmlessly. The photo below is the only one I can find quickly that shows a special feature in that area, but this one uses a different method to switch off the special power.
Attachments
7D3DC8F4-D302-4F5A-86C2-BED8B4051FBFa.jpg
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Now that seems highly probable. The electric fandanglement. I bet it has been re-purposed as BP suggested.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Wasn’t going to repeat what I wrote two pages ago, but this is not for vendor release as there is no trigger on the end and never was. Picture 4 is part of the anti cheat mechanism. I have a few Sega Hi Tops with the same part and number on board and probably came from a Hi Top...
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Best you keep repeating it. Someone might listen, eventually. !!IDEA!! Others thought otherwise but I’ll bow to your knowledge if you have others. How does it work as an anti-cheat mech? I did read that it ‘locks the payout’ in case you thought you were speaking to yourself.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Likely it has mystery wins too. What is it chaps, orange melon bar, orange orange melon? Orange melon bar is definitely a mystery combo. Give it a go by hand and see if it pops out 10.

They vary. It's always a combination of orange, melon and bar, but some differ on how generous the combos are.