Airship wall machines

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Airship wall machines

Post by pennymachines »

Glad to hear it arrived safely.
The projectile should be either an old penny or halfpenny, whichever fits!
martynbr

Post by martynbr »

Great thank you. Will give that a try and see what happens. Cheers
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

The instructions, mostly indiscernible from the pictures, should give you the clue as to the "projectile." The wear pattern does suggest a coin as opposed to a ball. You may have to experiment with a range of coinage to get the correct coin. If it is of Italian vintage, start with mid-Century Italian coins. Since coinage is fairly similar in size, coins from other countries may well work too. Good luck.

J Peterson
Penny wise, pound foolish, USA
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

!SORRY! OFF TOPIC ....
I was intrigued by your use of "Penny wise, pound foolish" John.
Is it an expression commonly used in Americaland, or have ya'll got you're own version?
:cool:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

john t peterson wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:04 pm If it is of Italian vintage, start with mid-Century Italian coins.
It's British John, as in 'made in England' by Pessers Moody Wraith & Gurr Ltd.
(Il Dirigibile on the previous page was described as Italian, though I suspect it might be French...)
Attachments
Payout token
Payout token
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Actually BP, the "penny wise, pound foolish" is a fairly commonly used expression here in the States. I believe it to be more popular with the older generation than the youngsters.
I know of no similar American phrase.

J Peterson
In for a penny, in for a pound in the USA
martynbr

Post by martynbr »

Almost finished the restoration. Seems the previous owner had painted the felt red which was actually originally tan, painted the loops, hardware and put a lacquer over everything.

Everything is now done with the exception of the award card which I should done soon.

Hopefully I have done it some justice.

Here are some before and after photos
Attachments
machine 4.jpg
Machine 2.jpg
Machine 5.jpg
Machine 3.jpg
Machine 6.jpg
Machine1.jpg
Machine 7.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Nice job, looks lovely. The felt would not have been tan, but gone like that after fading. The original colour is usually seen on the hidden parts behind the wood battens…..usually green and seen red as well !!CHEERS!!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

treefrog wrote:The felt would not have been tan, but gone like that after fading.
Not so convinced about that tf, there is a thread about felt colours that was discussed a while ago.
brianh

Airship Profit Sharer

Post by brianh »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Good morning folks - would appreciate some advice please on a machine I've just got.
As you will see from the pic, it needs a bit of TLC on the cabinet but the mechanism works brilliantly. I have 3 queries if anyone can help please:

1) What should the Zeppelin itself look like as far as artwork is concerned? Presume it would not have originally just been plain metal.

2) The backcloth is in lovely condition but very dirty and a careful wiping of a hidden bit shows it to be a dark green colour, a lot greener than shown in the pic. How best to clean this without damaging it?

3) Would the original have had a hand written instruction card as pic? If not, any idea what it should be like please?

I imagine this machine must be 90 to 100 years old so I would love to tidy it up a bit without losing its original features so any help would be much appreciated please.
Attachments
airship2.jpg
airship2.jpg (646.44 KiB) Viewed 644 times
bryans fan

Re: Airship Profit Sharer

Post by bryans fan »

Hi ,
Nice machine. If you type Airship profit sharer into the search you will find lots of info.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Airship Profit Sharer

Post by pennymachines »

brianh wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:07 am 1) What should the Zeppelin itself look like as far as artwork is concerned? Presume it would not have originally just been plain metal.
I've moved and merged your post with the existing Airship topic. See this post for an image of the correct airship.
brianh wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:07 am 2) The backcloth is in lovely condition but very dirty and a careful wiping of a hidden bit shows it to be a dark green colour, a lot greener than shown in the pic. How best to clean this without damaging it?
Something along the lines of Gameswat's technique for cleaning cloth-covered wires?
brianh wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:07 am 3) Would the original have had a hand written instruction card as pic? If not, any idea what it should be like please?
Several in this topic - not very clear but possibly the best image we have.
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks for everyone's help on this. Work progressing (after a few weeks of gardening break !SMILER! ), still lot to do on the cabinet, but meanwhile does anyone know what part is missing behind the payout knob at the bottom as pics please? There are 2 holes in the cabinet front and marks to show there was a fitting there but nothing attached inside so I don't know what it was or how it would have affected the workings (or is it just cosmetic?). As it is at the moment, it does seem to pay out when the ball is caught. Any ideas please !PUZZLED!
Attachments
airship2.jpg
airship2.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 781 times
airship1.jpg
airship1.jpg (583.39 KiB) Viewed 781 times
airship4.jpg
airship4.jpg (957.43 KiB) Viewed 781 times
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

It is cosmetic in that it does not affect operation and is a shroud like you see on some allwins to stop force from a lever be applied to the handle…..you will see others on this thread like below….
Attachments
IMG_0225.jpeg
IMG_0225.jpeg (295.49 KiB) Viewed 771 times
brianh

Post by brianh »

Thanks treefrog, that's good - in that case I guess I can make something to fit.