Duo Mat newbie questions

General vintage slot machine related topics.
toonboy

Duo Mat newbie questions

Post by toonboy »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for having me in your forum. I’ve been after a penny arcade game for some time and have just got myself a Gunter Wulff Duo Mat machine and have a few questions. It’s a beautiful machine and I love it already. It has a few problems and by the looks of it needs a clean internally. I’m a complete novice with these machines but also very handy at stripping things down and repairing them. What are the basic rules for stripping down and cleaning the mechanics, what do I use to clean it (I’ve read that the metal it’s made from is very poor quality) and are the components lubricated or not? If so, what’s the best lubricant to use? Is there anything that I shouldn’t touch or strip down? The case has what looks like its original two locks but I don’t have the keys for it. Is it possible to get keys made for the locks or do I need to replace the locks?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions to follow but I’d be over the moon if someone could shed a bit light on what I’ve asked.

Thanks very much, Tony
coppinpr

Re: Duo Mat newbie questions

Post by coppinpr »

The German machines are very different to most machines, so some of the rules are different but basically clean off all old oxidised grease with a good de-greaser (WD40 makes a good spray de-greaser, do not use standard WD40). Beware of dismantling German machines if they don't need it. As you say, some parts can be fragile. Lubricate all the basic moving parts VERY lightly with thin sewing machine oil. Nothing else is needed. The golden rule is never oil any part that comes into contact with a coin. Simply clean these parts. Having said German machines are different from most machines, the Duo-matt is different from most German machines, so handle it with care, although it is a more robust machine than most German machines and usually runs forever if played regularly. As you seem to have access to the locks take them to an old style locksmith. He might be able to re-key them. Any questions, just ask: someone will help,... Welcome to the forum :cool:
Always post photos... We love photos.
toonboy

Post by toonboy »

Hi Coppinpr,

Thanks very much for the reply. I’ll use your information carefully although I’m a bit worried to touch it now ha ha.
I’ve included some pictures of my machine.

Thanks Tony
Attachments
4EF80837-2552-4167-8D8B-F148C7C29A1Aa.jpg
4EF80837-2552-4167-8D8B-F148C7C29A1Aa.jpg (278.58 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
0315F070-9DB7-411F-AA77-D327403AE47Ba.jpg
0315F070-9DB7-411F-AA77-D327403AE47Ba.jpg (258.9 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
toonboy

Post by toonboy »

The coins get stuck in the coin mech (top red x) when the game is played it releases the coin past the bar that stops it but it gets caught just after.
The second problem is when the coin tube gets coins towards the top a coin drops in but doesn’t lie flat and just stands up. Is it supposed to somehow go into the chute that takes it to the coin box (missing)?

Many thanks, Tony
Attachments
8C07F693-F9A9-4552-A7D6-71808BA23074a.jpg
8C07F693-F9A9-4552-A7D6-71808BA23074a.jpg (133.09 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME:
toonboy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:27 amThe case has what looks like its original two locks but I don’t have the keys for it. Is it possible to get keys made for the locks or do I need to replace the locks?
If they're the original Zeiss Ikon locks, it may be possible, but difficult to source the correct blanks. See Locks for a Beromat /Gunther Wulff wall machine

You might also find some useful titbits in this topic: Duomat penny slot machine
and this blog.

The mechanism is mostly held together with circlips and therefore quite easy to strip down (but harder to reassemble, unless you take loads of pictures). !!PHOTO!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You've not told us what coin you're playing it on. It's been converted at some point as the coin tracks have been cut in order to widen them. That's likely to be behind most of your problems with sticking coins and issues at the overflow.
Also the coin entry not being bolted to the mechanism doesn't help align it either.
Don't strip down the clock governor unless you really need to.
Most other mechanical amusement machines are quite sloppy in their mechanisms, but are made from mild steel.
These German ones however, are the other way round. Made mainly from Mazak the tolerances are very tight and need almost micro adjustments.

Take many photos, you'll benefit from them when you come to reassemble.
BP :cool:
toonboy

Post by toonboy »

Hi,

It works with old pennies.

Thank you Coppinpr, Pennymachines and Badpenny for the great advice.

Cheers Tony
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

The worst part in these machines which are similar to the Gunther Wulff bandits are the pay slides and the cradle that holds them. If you decide to remove slide, be seriously gentle as parts will be difficult to source as they are not the same as bandits as they mount in reverse.

You will see the steel rods all have adjustable screws at one end for the operations and coin acceptable functions. These can need marginal adjustment to allow each gate to open the correct lever to detect coins correctly.

Slow operation on the wheels if an issue, will likely need a complete disassembly to access the bearings on the large wheels and clean all lever posts and lubricate… It is not as difficult as one would think, but can advise if you decide to do.

I did have six at one point. Think I have a video on YouTube with 5 of them. [Embedded below - Site Admin] Now I only have one and a spare mechanism. Love these machines - great action. !!THUMBSX2!!

Last edited by treefrog on Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
toonboy

Post by toonboy »

Wow that’s great, thanks for taking the time to message.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

One vital thing to remember toonboy, be exceptionally careful with the front glass. Almost impossible to find a replacement should it break.
raj

Post by raj »

I've had a few of these great machines. A few tips from my experiences: work on a clear workbench with an old sheet doubled over. This will protect the glass when it falls out, if you decide to unscrew the fixings. Don't force anything. Use releasing fluid on any sticking screws. Most are fine pitch and can strip easily in the Ali corner casting. The circlips gain wings and tend to fly around the workshop when released. A big magnet can be useful for holding loose bits.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Excellent advice that Raj.
Especially regards the magnet. Some years ago I got hold of a large neodymium magnet from a scrap 24V wind generator. It sits self-attached to one of the legs of my work shed stool. I use it as an endless supply of nuts, screws, washers and bolts (or was that a schoolboy joke not to be repeated in front of maiden Aunts?).
Neodymium magnets can give you a nasty nip if they suddenly leap towards something ferric and your skin gets in the way. This particular one is so large it could shatter small bones, especially wrists down to finger tips. Dead good though for sucking swarf from eyes.

Returning to Duo Mats. Whenever I work on one and have the case backed up against a wall or vertical surface. I use one or two small wooden wedges under the front leading edge to prevent it face planting the glass.

BP