Nixie tubes in slot machines

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pennymad
Reactions score: 0

Re: Nixie tubes in slot machines

Post by pennymad »

Blimey that's my old machine I put into Steve's auction.
I even put two brand new bulbs in before I sold it and still have the old ones in my garage.
coppinpr
Reactions score: 31

Nice little Nixie tube style clock

Post by coppinpr »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

I just bought this Nixie tube style clock for my desk, and I love it. As yet I haven't decided on what colours to set it on (choice of a dozen colours for each tube plus different fade options). It also has a calendar and count down function and a USB charging point, really well made and larger than expected (28cm). The photo doesn't do it justice. It makes it look like the tubes are solid with colour which they are not. I think I paid £28 for it.
Attachments
clock.jpg
clock.jpg (66.66 KiB) Viewed 665 times
arrgee
Reactions score: 8

Re: Nice little Nixie tube style clock

Post by arrgee »

Where does the penny go in Paul? :lol:
coppinpr
Reactions score: 31

Post by coppinpr »

it would need to be more than a penny if it used "new old stock" Nixie tubes (which incredibly can still be bought) the largest production model now sells for £100 each ! For some reason no one is quite sure why they do not deteriorate over years of storage (my guess is they were just made well) It's fascinating to read just how important an invention they were in their late 50s - early 70's heyday, they played a large role in the early "Space Race" from both the American and Russian hardware design because they gave off cold light with little power (early LEDs were the only other option and they needed too much power and were too dim. By the time their era was over they had improved from a 5000-hour life to a 200,000-hour life.
These new style cheap ones are clearly made using a cheaper design and method, plastic tubes of course but the real difference is the gaps between the filaments is wider and the light source is (I assume) LED-based)
tim575
Reactions score: 24

Post by tim575 »

From appearance it uses a method used in the '70s or earlier based on light pipes. Each number is a plastic sheet with engraved/stamped number and illuminated from beneath. The layers of numbered plastics are stacked up. I had such a display in a 1977 car using incandescent lights below and it displayed various messages! Lots of interesting digital displays of the past. I had also seen one from 1950s using a rotating wheel of film with numbers of 0.00 through 9.99 on it. A Zenon flash lamp behind would strobe and illuminate the desired number based on timing from a once around index (used in a vacuum tube based DVM!).

However, regarding the first reply, I don't think I have ever seen a clock with coin op mech. required to see the time. Does any such thing exist other than coin op timers?
pennymachines
Site Admin
Reactions score: 64

Post by pennymachines »

slotalot
Reactions score: 14

Post by slotalot »

tim575 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:18 pm From appearance it uses a method used in the '70s or earlier based on light pipes.
As you say it's an engraved acrylic sheet with LEDs shone from underneath. Back in the early 1970s when I was running the mobile discos, we experimented with a system like this for the light box in front of the turntables. It was "ok" but we didn't have the LEDs back then and the lights we used got very hot by the end of the night. !!FLAMED!! !!FLAMED!! !!FLAMED!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator
Reactions score: 32

Post by badpenny »

Did you wear shirts with big round collars, cravats, bell bottoms and platforms?
Time to put up that photo of you and Elaine with your Ford (?) plus names on windscreen.
BP :cool:
slotalot
Reactions score: 14

Post by slotalot »

That's uncanny. How did you do that? !PUZZLED! and it was a Hillman, not a Ford. !WORSHIPFULL!
You truly have the gift of second sight. :didact:
Let's try another one. What am I holding in my hand?? !!ESCAPE!!
Attachments
imp-(2)a.jpg
imp-(2)a.jpg (121.3 KiB) Viewed 416 times
arrgee
Reactions score: 8

Post by arrgee »

I recall back in the late 1960s at college evening classes, our tutor told us to ditch our good 'old fashioned' boxwood slide rules and log tables and use a new box of tricks supplied by the college to produce calculations. The calculators were very large, about 8" wide and 10" long and had a read-out screen not unlike the nixie tube, if you looked carefully, when a number was illuminated, you could just see the other numbers all stacked behined each other. We all thought this technology was incredible - only basic maths was possible though: division, muliplication, additional and subtraction. :didact: