The Mystery of Mad Money - Sega or Mills?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
cheeky

The Mystery of Mad Money - Sega or Mills?

Post by cheeky »

Help me please. I have an old one arm bandit called Mad Money. The words Mad Money appears to be cast actually on the machine. It looks like a Sega, it plays like a Sega but is it a Sega?

The case does not have the words Sega actually written on it. Most Bizarre!

So the question is, did Sega buy up Mills old stock of cases which appeared identical? Any ideas?

Just another quickee. My machine does not have the usual escalator. I was told that it was a Shefras conversion. When would this have happened and why? Did Sega actually fit Shefras parts and who were Shefras???? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
bryansjim

Re The Mystery of Mad Money - Sega or Mills?

Post by bryansjim »

My basic knowledge of slots tells me that Shefras made replacement parts and that the shefras escalator I had in a copper sega was a two play for one shilling .The coin would be retained until the second pull of the handle where the coin would run and fall into the coin tube. The only Mad money machines i have seen have been sega.I take it the machine is of the curved front type with the "bullet proof" glass in front of the reels?. I always thought this style of case was exclusive to Sega then a few years ago I saw one with mills on the front. I have seen hundreds of segas but only one mills so I deduce as with the high top, sega must have copied the design.
Incidently the mad moneys I have seen have had sega cast into the case under the jackpot window.
Hope this helps.
:boing!:
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Thank you. Still puzzled by the missing Sega sign cast in the case. I have taken a photo for further views/discussion.
Attachments
DSC00149.JPG
Pete White

Post by Pete White »

I can confirm that
Philip Shefras YOUR 'ONE-STOP' SPARES SUPPLIER
Attachments
Picture 016.jpg
Pete White

Post by Pete White »

Here is a scan of the Sega Mad Money flyer.I do have a Sega Mad Money machine but no pictures to hand.
If you post some pics of the mech i'm sure someone will tell you if it's Sega or Mills.
Attachments
Picture 017.jpg
Pete White

Post by Pete White »

Here is a pic of my Mad Money it does have a Sega mech and the jackpot was disabled for use in the cafe's.
I expect it was a club machine before.
No Sega logo below the award window!
Attachments
002.JPG
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Mine looks the same as yours. Bizarre because the stars which are also cast next to the Mad Money sign are also missing. Note this only happens on those missing the Sega sign.

So why?????? Are these Sega copies ?????
steinslots

The Sega / Mills link

Post by steinslots »

The history of of Sega's involvement with Mills, as I understand it came about during the late 50's when the Mills management decided to expand machine production to the rest of the world and took on a friendly deal with Sega to produce the Mills design under license from Mills but Badged Sega. They were given the tooling and full design rights.
But things went pear-shaped when Mills ran into financial difficulties and apparently Sega took over their debts and so effectively liquidated the Mills name.
This explains why Sega internal parts are so similar (and sometimes interchangeable with) Mills internal parts, up to the point where Sega were producing their own designs (Mid/late 60's). The only noticeable difference being the part numbers and the chrome plating.

Most of the parts were probably produced on Mills press tools anyway!
cheeky

Re The Sega / Mills link

Post by cheeky »

Very, very informative. Thank you. I will check the mech to see if it has been stamped with a Sega or Mills code.

Does anyone know where Mills or Sega would have stamped their details on the inner part of the case? Does anyone have a photo of a similar shaped Mills machine?
Pete White

Does anyone have a photo of a similar shaped Mills machine?

Post by Pete White »

Does anyone have a photo of a similar shaped Mills machine?
Here you are!
Attachments
mills light up.JPG
steinslots

Identifying Mills

Post by steinslots »

Most of the Mills had a serial number PRINTED underneath the cabinet across the bottom in black or blue ink. It is usually very feint. You will need to tip it right over to see it.

All of the internal Mills mechanism parts have a code commencing MLB. If your not sure if just the mechs been changed for a Sega (as it will fit) have a look to see if MLB is stamped on the handle or damper assembly.

Mills also have a different internal facia surrounding the reels underneath the glass - I think there are 3 individual ones whereas Segas were geared up for flourescent lights and have a single white casting behind the glass.

There's a thing, oringinally very few Mills had any lighting except for the odd light-up panel at the top. The Segas were nearly all lit, and have earth wires installed everywhere. I think they also fitted anti-drill plates on the insides of the cabinet.
cheeky

Re Identifying Mills

Post by cheeky »

The plot thickens. I found the serial number on the top of the base but it is just a number without any letters. From this serial number is it possible to determine its age? I haven't been able to find any other useful numbers.

Interestingly, like all the others Segas I have seen,the electric wire comes out from the left hand side of the base, not the right hand side of the cabinet, so on my one it is well chaffed. I wonder if this means it is an older model? There must be some way of telling?