Bradley/Whales: Ballwin, Baby Bradwin, Allwin De Luxe etc.

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
Brian

Bradley/Whales: Ballwin, Baby Bradwin, Allwin De Luxe etc.

Post by Brian »

Can anyone tell me a little about the history behind the Ballwin name and is the one in the picture an original?
Attachments
Ballwin.JPG
arrgee

Re. Bradley/Whales: Ballwin, Baby Bradwin, Allwin De Luxe etc.

Post by arrgee »

Interesting little machine Brian, I do not know anything about it but no doubt someone will. What is the machine to the left of the Ballwin?
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi! It is a jackpot probably by Oliver Whales of Redcar. It was one of those they painted in the mid sixties. It is in lovely condition and is my granddaughter's favourite because of the false Jackpot.

I enclose a picture.
Attachments
allwin jackpot.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Ballwin De Luxe is an apt play on the traditional name of these games - i.e. "Allwin Deluxe with a Ball at the front". Also the 'B' in front is a clue to the manufacturer.

With its name, diminutive cabinet size, top mounted coin entry, distinctively framed instructions and side payout - it has to be a Bradmatics product (LC Bradley of Perry Bar, Birmingham). Compare it with their Baby Bradwin De Luxe, below (probably the smallest commercially made allwin). I'm surprised it doesn't carry their name.

The wood has obviously been refinished but originality of the case is hard to judge without closer inspection. Do you have reason to suspect it isn't? I haven't seen another to compare. Maybe it once had some decorative castings on the flash. Sweet machine. Wonder if it pre-dates the Bradwin.

The maker of your Jackpot Allwin remains obscure, although it has been suggested it could also be a Bradley product. Far less certain though.
Discussed here: Jackpot Allwin Identification

Brian

Post by Brian »

Thank you very much for your informative response. I have no reason to think its not original, but within the forum you hear of many changes to machines.
Like yourself I have never come across one like this and I have looked hard. I do note the drawing pins holding the instructions and have a copied transfer that is the same, however I think after your information I will leave it as the "cheap man's allwin".

Brian
YONTY

Post by YONTY »

Topic merged - Site Admin

Help please - I am very new to this. Information required, please see photo. What is it? How old? Can I get a cup for the coins? What wood is it made of? And anything else it might be useful to know. THANK YOU.
Attachments
ALLWIN 002.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: OLD ALLWIN ?

Post by pennymachines »

Hi YONTY - Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your allwin purchase - at a bargain price it would seem.

To answer your questions in order:
Although the card says "Sole manufacturer Oliver Whales", I wonder if this was replaced at some time, because the other features point to it being a Bradley or Bradmatics product. Compare it to the pictures of the Baby Bradwin Deluxe and the allwin discussed in the thread merged above. These games date from the early 30s I believe. If you look at the Baby Bradwin Deluxe, you'll notice it doesn't have a cup and I suspect the Ballwin didn't either, originally. The coins drop out of that gap on the right. I'm not sure about the wood, except that it isn't oak. The cash draw appears to be a pine replacement and no doubt you can find something which matches better.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

£216.00 that was cheap !!THUMBSX2!!
grabber

Post by grabber »

That allwin has two squares on the playfield - the same are used on old fortune tellers made by the Coin Operating Company.
YONTY

Post by YONTY »

Thanks for the information so far. It looks more like a Baby Bradwin than anything else I have seen. The size of mine is 18"x24". Are there any better photos anywhere so I can see better what to make for the payout slot? My front door is hinged - I cannot see any hinges on the one in photo. How do you get in? If mine is a Baby Bradwin, can I get backing to convert it back? I live in Evesham - has anyone got one I can look at?
fourfive

Post by fourfive »

Maybe these pictures of one of my machines may help. Bradwin patent, manufactured by Oliver Whales.
Attachments
allwin minor2.jpg
allwin minor1.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

fourfive wrote:Bradwin patent, manufactured by Oliver Whales.
Aha! Whales made allwins under licence to Bradley. Very interesting. That answers YONTY's first question, "What is it?" - an Allwin De Luxe (just as it says on the label) made by Oliver Whales and designed by Bradley.
YONTY

Post by YONTY »

Thanks for everything so far. I enclose a photo of the works if it helps. I am wondering if my works have been transplanted into a later hinged case as I can see no machines with a hinged case with the payout slot where mine is. What is the difference in size between the two machines (hinged or not)?
Attachments
ALLWIN 002.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Actually the Ballwin has hinges and payout in the same place. When I first saw your game on eBay, I suspected it might be a replaced cabinet but now I'm leaning towards original. There are significant variations in all four: Ballwin, Baby Bradwin, Minor and Allwin De Luxe.

Attachments
de-luxe1.jpg
fourfive

Re: Whales/Bradley Allwin De Luxe identified

Post by fourfive »

Here is a picture of the inside of the Whales/Bradley allwin.
Attachments
minor3.jpg
YONTY

Post by YONTY »

Before I start to make one, I wonder if anyone has a spare payout chute to suit my machine? approx 2"x1" plus surround at the front.
fourfive

Post by fourfive »

Here are a few pictures of the payout chute.

The dimensions of the Allwin Minor machine are as follows:
height 21.5"
width 14.5"
depth 6.5"

The dimensions of the payout chute are:
length 4"
width 2"
Attachments
pay chute3.jpg
pay chute 2.jpg
pay chute1.jpg
YONTY

Post by YONTY »

Thank you very much fourfive, that is going to be most helpful.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Take a look: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1154

It's a Ballwin Deluxe on Ebay-US.

It starts a 99 cents. !!CHEERS!!

J Peterson
Your American Spotter
Attachments
ballwin-1.jpg
ballwin-2.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Thought I would add this one on eBay where the seller in Mablethorpe is on another planet asking a grand for barn find machines. The below Bradwin looks the most interesting and complete and from this thread assume this is a tiny Allwin, possibly one of the smallest production machines of its type. Looks like Olly Whales made a version and cannot see the one PM points to in the museum....

Nice little thing, over-priced in my opinion, but cute...

https://ebay.co.uk/itm/Bradley-allwin-F ... SwdoZacrAV
Attachments
59176308-06E1-4EC4-AB66-6A4F80967C59.jpeg