Places to visit

Britain's only vintage coin-op magazine.
ilovemyjukebox

Re: Places to visit

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

If you look in the archive section on the site there's a list of locations there..
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

The Grabber wrote:Thanks for the info.
Is there a list of penny arcades or places that have old arcade machines?
Hi Grabber, just for the record, I sold my building at 2 Marlborough Terrace due to problems with access. It would have cost too much money to convert it to be disabled-friendly. All the collection is in storage and I hope to be back with a bigger and better venue in 2011. Look forward to seeing my old customers again. Chris Parcell.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Chris, That's good news **xXx** , will you be back in Brid or don't you know yet? :tarah: Stuart.
grabber

Post by grabber »

Best of luck Chris - hope you find a good building soon.
grabber

Post by grabber »

Today has been a long day for me, I set off from home, London at 6am, got stopped on the M25 with a crash then carried on to Southport, Merseyside to visit Clive and Ross Baker at the arcade they run on the pier there.
It took me four hours drive and I parked next to the pier at 10am, all day parking £2.50 (in case this might help someone), anyway got breakfast in Mc Donalds, also next to the pier and walked on to the pier to find an old weighing scales advertising the penny arcade at the end of the pier.
A couple of minutes later, I walked into the arcade that was quite busy at 10.45am.
I played a few machines and had a general walk around and found Clive filling and emptying machines. He has four mutoscopes, all good reels, an Ahrens Marksmen - very good to play, Gypsie fortune teller in oak case, Ahrens Palmist, Ruffler and Walker Grand National and many other wall mounted machines. I will post some pictures soon,. I left just before 2pm and on the way out of Southport met at least ten miles of traffic trying to get into the town on country roads, got back home at 7.45pm due to lots of car crashes and road works with no one working on them. It's well worth a visit - lots of machine to play and the other half of the arcade is a cafe, so it's easy to get a coffee or a sandwich. Weather was great - full blue English summer sky, only one or two clouds, light wind and Blackpool in the distance across the bay.
Bye for now, the grabber.
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

slotalot wrote:Hi Chris, That's good news **xXx** , will you be back in Brid or don't you know yet? :tarah: Stuart.
Hi Stuart, Hope to stay in Brid., but would consider any good site in my area - will keep you posted. Chris.
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

The Grabber wrote:Best of luck Chris - hope you find a good building soon.
Thanks Grabber.
Chris.
JC

Post by JC »

After a few months rest, Stuart has been Vintage Penny Arcade visiting again. He wrote an interesting report for issue 53 about a place I had never heard of - Bygones, in Torquay, which he visited after the Coventry auction last year. It’s one of those places with lots of Victorian street scenes and period shop displays. They also have a very impressive collection of Vintage Penny Slot machines.

Here are the pictures:
Attachments
Bygones 1.jpg
Bygones 2.jpg
Bygones 3.jpg
Bygones 4.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

Stuart’s been out and about again, this time visiting Bygone Times, in Lancashire (just up the road from Botany Bay). Like Botany Bay, Bygone Times is an old converted Mill now selling antiques and collectables – and like Botany Bay, it also has an old penny arcade!
The arcade has been run by Clive Baker for some time, but has recently been taken over by Darren Hesketh. Darren is still using some of Clive's machines, but is gradually introducing more of his own.

Here are the pictures that were published in Issue 57, plus some extras:
Attachments
Bygone Times 1.jpg
Bygone Times 2.jpg
Bygone Times 3.jpg
Bygone Times 4.jpg
Bygone Times 5.jpg
Bygone Times 6.jpg
Bygone Times 7.jpg
Bygone Times 8.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

Stuart Dale (our regular roving vintage penny arcade reporter) gave an account in Issue 70 of one of his recent visits, this time to Weston-Super-Mare. There is a small, but very impressive collection of vintage machines to be found at the Weston-Super-Mare museum. This is another of Clive Baker’s sites, and the machine line-up includes Ahrens two-player Football, Ahrens Palmist, Laughing Sailor, American Execution working model and a very rare Chinese Crystal Gazer fortune teller. Here are the pictures:
Attachments
Birnbeck pier, in a very sorry state, which Stuart mentions at the beginning of his article
Birnbeck pier, in a very sorry state, which Stuart mentions at the beginning of his article
The entrance to the small arcade display.
The entrance to the small arcade display.
American Grip Tester, which was pictured on the front cover of Issue 70.
American Grip Tester, which was pictured on the front cover of Issue 70.
Grip Test, Mutoscope, American Execution and Chinese Crystal Gazer.
Grip Test, Mutoscope, American Execution and Chinese Crystal Gazer.
Ahrens two-player Football and Laughing Sailor.
Ahrens two-player Football and Laughing Sailor.
Ahrens Palmist.
Ahrens Palmist.
Detail of the American Execution.
Detail of the American Execution.
JC

Post by JC »

Richard Goddard wrote a very detailed piece for Issue 78 on Clive Baker's new(ish) penny arcade at Milestones, Basingstoke. Richard supplied me with a good selection of pictures, many of which I was unable to publish in the magazine due to lack of space. Here are some of them - more to follow:
Attachments
Milestones 1.jpg
Milestones 2.jpg
Milestones 3.jpg
Milestones 4.jpg
Milestones 5.jpg
Milestones 6.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I know this says more about me and the perverse way I think but, how/what?????

Where does Clive find these things?
Untitled.png (271.57 KiB) Viewed 6327 times

JC

Post by JC »

..........and here are some more piccies, most of which were not published in the magazine. I'm afraid I still haven't found the time to visit Milestones, but do hope to do so in near future. If you get the chance, do try to visit - I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Attachments
JP Steer-a-Ball
JP Steer-a-Ball
Hawtins Clutching Hands merchandiser
Hawtins Clutching Hands merchandiser
Madam Zasha fortune teller
Madam Zasha fortune teller
Ahrens Piledriver and Jolly Fireman racer
Ahrens Piledriver and Jolly Fireman racer
R&W Grand National
R&W Grand National
Novelty Merchantman crane<br />and Bolland Drunkard's Dream
Novelty Merchantman crane
and Bolland Drunkard's Dream
Shake Hands with Merlin
Shake Hands with Merlin
Bolland Oracle fortune teller
Bolland Oracle fortune teller
Oliver Whales Victory Ball allwin
Oliver Whales Victory Ball allwin
JC

Post by JC »

More to the point, why? It's actually someone bending over (doing what, I've no idea).
Attachments
Milestones 1 (2).jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

JC wrote:More to the point, why? It's actually someone bending over (doing what, I've no idea)
.............Hiding !!ESCAPE!! - my camera and I seem to have this effect on people !PUZZLED!
JC

Post by JC »

.......also in Issue 78, someone has finally written something about my arcade!
Martin Larcombe wrote a detailed account of his visit back in April, when he ventured down to the sea front after visiting the Brighton jukebox show. There were just 3 pictures published in the magazine, but Martin has recently emailed some more he took on the day.
So here they are.......
Attachments
MM1.jpg
MM2.jpg
MM3.jpg
MM4.jpg
MM5.jpg
MM6.jpg
MM7.jpg
MM8.jpg
MM9.jpg
MM10.jpg
MM11.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Do I win the prize for spotting Elvis?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Well, well seems pretty obvious to me that that a modern game slipped in there...... the infamous Japanese "Boong-ga Boong-ga". Read the link about it as one of the strangest games ever. Best part is the trophy it vends for especially great playing!?!? http://www.screwattack.com/news/strange ... a-boong-ga
Attachments
boongga.jpg