Stevenson and Lovett Fireworks

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
treefrog

Stevenson & Lovett Fireworks allwin

Post by treefrog »

A bit of a long shot, but I remember seeing an allwin or possibly flick-a-ball type machine for sale a few years ago that had a Fireworks theme. It may have been called Fireworks or possible Rocket. As I remember the artwork definitely had a rocket launching across the to the right. My main reason for the interest is my other passion, Pyrotechnics, which I have been doing now for over 20 years, displays that is, not setting fire to things... any ideas or pictures much appreciated.
JC

Re: Fireworks Allwin

Post by JC »

Fireworks was produced by Stevenson & Lovett, late 1940s. It's quite a complex, multi-ball allwin with electro-mechanical score keeping. They're pretty rare, I've only ever seen two or three......
but if you fancy one, there is a very nice example entered in the Coventry auction.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, it's Fireworks you have in mind. The equally rare Rockets was a Bryans flickball-type game which has a simple cascading, exploding firework graphic. I've also seen a three ball allwin called Rockets but don't remember the artwork. The Crackerjack allwin has a very simple yellow fire-burst and the Ball Past The Arrow games have rather firework-like sparky graphics.

As you can see, the multi-ball Fireworks is quite different from other allwins; it looks more like a pinball machine inside. You have to get a high score to win your penny back. There's also a cigarette payout version.
Attachments
fireworks.jpg
fireworks2.jpg
fireworks2.jpg (18.82 KiB) Viewed 6455 times
fireworksMech.jpg
fireworksMech.jpg (18.17 KiB) Viewed 6455 times
jingle

Post by jingle »

That's my floor in the kitchen. Who's been stealing my pictures???
I had 5 of these, think I still got 3 left - this one maybe.
I had the fag one but I don't like the ciggy wins as I want stuff only to operate and payout pennies, so I sold it. I think it's dead money and would rather put the money into something to operate (which I will soon). But I believe the ciggy one's very rare.

And yes, you're right, they look like pinballs inside and that's why I have never seen one work yet. They need going over and that's not going to be me - me and electrics don't get on.

I believe when the ball spins around it hits contacts and the stars flash on and off. Looking forward to seeing one work. Maybe Jerry is going to get power to the one in the auction - if it's working... Fetch a good price if it's playing.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Aha - I wondered if someone would say "That's mine!"

Hope you don't mind me using the pictures - very nice floor if I may say so. I must have grabbed them off eBay when you had it up for sale.

I've had three Fireworks, one on Ciggy payout, and no - none of them worked, or I didn't have the courage to try. But one day...
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Tree-frog, you're into fireworks? Me too! Are you on the UKPS forums?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I remember missing out on these when they were on ebay last year :dammit:
I like the "Heath-Robinson" electrics on this type of machine :D
The photos show the cig machine !!PHOTO!! and yes Bob, it's your Tarmac drive :o
Attachments
fireworks cig1.jpg
fireworks cig.jpg
jingle

Post by jingle »

Yes that's my drive lad and my old machine.
That machine has a cracking mechanism in, done it?
Am sure they must be easy to sort out for someone with courage and a bit of wire wool.

Tell you what, if anyone has the know how and can do my 2 up, I may give him the 3rd for a very very very low price :shock:

Tree frog , Operator Bell and me all fireworks lovers... great !THUMBS!
I collect old stuff, blue touch paper, fireworks and posters. Anyone has any, come to me first !!YIPPEE!!

Am looking for old Catherine Wheels and Rip Raps - the brown paper ones were you used to put them on the floor and they used to chase ya when you set them off !!ESCAPE!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Operator Bell wrote:Tree-frog, you're into fireworks? Me too! Are you on the UKPS forums?
Not a member no, but will certainly look this up... I have been considering starting another collecting habit for a while, every time I see a show display Crackerjack (memories of my father throwing these at us kids, which would now be deemed child cruelty or an offence) or Brock rockets for sale as Jingle has stated, but been holding back... The problem is, it would be another out of control habit like the slots, but of course this probably won't stop me. I am actually a firer working for a British Fireworks company, started this in 1991... Very busy period next week with Guy Fawkes and will be out for day after day, mainly covering the South East of England... good fun...

The Fireworks machine displayed wasn't the one I had remembered, so it must have been the rocket machine, but this certainly looks interesting. I do worry a little about all that electrical stuff though, the one reason I have not bought an old pinball machine is my fear of having to isolate faults in the circuits or contacts, I like the Art Deco design though.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Here's the Rockets and close-ups of the Crackerjack and Skill-Fun allwins.
Attachments
rockets.jpg
skill-funCU.jpg
CrackerjackCU.jpg
jingle

Post by jingle »

Tree Frog,
I am 99% sure you have never seen a Bryans Rockets on eBay UK this side of the Millennium.

I think there are only 6 known lad, so it must have been something else.

If you do see a Bryans Rockets and it's cheap, buy it quick !!ESCAPE!!
because they are very rare: $$$$$$$$$$ and more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ mate !!YIPPEE!!
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

It lives here now :D
Attachments
Picture 035.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It's nearly November 5th so - more Fireworks!
jingle wrote:I don't like the ciggy wins as I want stuff only to operate and payout pennies
How about putting them on Chocolate Cigarette payout?
Anyway, I'm really excited to hear you're planning to operate some of your machines, Jingle.
Attachments
mo-fireworks.jpg
l_chocigs.jpg
l_chocigs.jpg (32.83 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

treefrog wrote:I have been considering starting another collecting habit for a while, every time I see a show display Crackerjack (memories of my father throwing these at us kids, which would now be deemed child cruelty or an offence) or Brock rockets for sale as Jingle has stated, but been holding back... The problem is, it would be another out of control habit like the slots, but of course this probably won't stop me.
Ah, I don't collect them. It's far too tempting to LIGHT them! I see some of the old firework collections on UKPS and wonder how they had the self-control.

My interest is more in making them. I specialize in small shells.
Attachments
D1-Blue.jpg
jingle

Post by jingle »

Where can you get the choc cigs from? Not seen them in years.

Yep, am ready to operate now. Still got a few things to buy but they're not ready to sell so am going ahead with it now. Sick of waiting.
Had a meeting with Liverpool museum, the new one that opens next year, but they decided against the machines in there. To tell ya the truth, I was having second thoughts anyway as I don't want to be tied to anyone. If it doesn't work in Liverpool, I can just move it somewhere else. Liverpool is on fire at the moment, it's rammed with tourists. The Albert Dock gets 7.5 million people through a year.

So that's where I am aiming, but they want 20k a year for rent and I don't think they have somewhere big enough to take all my machines, and am sick of paying storage at the moment, so I need to get on with it.

Still looking to pick up a few more models. Anyone got any for sale?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Attachments
chocolate-ciggarettes.jpg
chocolate-ciggarettes.jpg (43.93 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
bgcig.jpg
bgcig.jpg (30.51 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
jingle

Post by jingle »

Thanks,

Have you not got a job lad?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hey lad - I took a day off just to introduce you to the wonders of Google search. !WINK!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I am sure we can all remember these choc cigs as kids, but how they are still available is odd, given every form of advertising around cigarettes has been banned for years. I cannot deny it was a contributor towards my habit for 20 years....

OB I have not made anything like this, shells that is, but fire a lot upto 12", getting hold of the raw materials is an issue here. I was about post loads of pictures if the pyro we use, but stopped short when I realised I am probably not supposed to (company rules)......One thing I can say for anyone interested, most firework companies are always looking for additional firers/help, so it is always worth asking if interested......found this interesting link on historic firework history etc..

http://www.fireworkmuseum.co.uk/
jingle

Post by jingle »

thats exactly what am looking for
tree frog :!:
them kind of old fireworks
got any for me

if you have a pile may swap
machine for them !!IDEA!!
also old firework posters
am interested in too