BM Co. Fleet Air Arm, Bomber Command, D-Day etc.

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
coin-op
Forum Moderator

BM Co. Fleet Air Arm, Bomber Command, D-Day etc.

Post by coin-op »

In a recent thread in the auction section on rare Oliver Whales WW11 allwins
( viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1926 ), Gameswat made the comment that the BM Co Air Fleet allwin is not particularly rare. As if to prove the point, a fellow collector in the south west has just discovered this example of the machine. Note the artwork is different from the example shown in the Oliver Whales thread.
Attachments
Machine 007.jpg
Machine 006.jpg
Machine 005.jpg
Machine 005.jpg (21.14 KiB) Viewed 10604 times
Machine 002.jpg
Machine 001.jpg
Machine 001.jpg (25.26 KiB) Viewed 10604 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: BM Co. 'Fleet Air Arm'

Post by pennymachines »

What is rare, is to find one with the original metal name-plate top casting, like the manual payout example below.
Gameswat mentioned there are four versions of these war-themed allwins. I think I've seen three, not counting the Win-A-Cig below, but don't remember the names (probably because they're usually missing).
Attachments
FleetAirArm.jpg
BMCo3.jpg
bmco1.jpg
bmco2.jpg
bmco2.jpg (25.23 KiB) Viewed 10505 times
BMCOWinAFag.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Cool marquee! I've only seen one other example with a top sign which I think was a Steve Hunt advert wanting BMCo machines or parts. I've looked in my meagre collection of his old mags but can't find it? Pretty sure it was a Bomber Command. I've seen mention of a D-Day too. Attached pic of my machine though I don't believe this one ever had a marquee as I can't remember seeing any filled holes.
Attachments
fleet air arm rhd.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Fleet Air Arm, Bomber Command and D-Day. Yes, those are the three I know of but couldn't remember by name (until you reminded me).
gameswat wrote:I don't believe this one ever had a marquee as I can't remember seeing any filled holes.
I think you'd only spot them if you were looking for them - just two very small filled holes towards the front edge of the top. Couldn't have been very secure - maybe why most marquees are missing.

Funny you should mention Steve Hunt's machine. I can't find the picture either, but if memory serves me right, it was the most original example I've seen. Unusually, it still operated on a battery (I think this is how they all were before being upped to 240v). I found it a joy to play, with its straightforward layout; rewarding ding of the bell and automatic payout when you won. I think the target disc flashed as well...

For the record, the plaque on the second example I posted reads: Supplied by Chicago Automatic Supply Company, 11 - 15 St. Georges Road, London S. E. 1.
Yours says: W. West, Automatic Machine Maker, Bannerdale Road, Sheffield. (Edited to correct address).
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I'm pretty sure I've seen another different playfield artwork as well as these three. I've also seen a couple of different cabinet configurations, there was one on eBay several years ago. Though looking through my photos, which are all over the place because of computer rebuilds etc., can't seem to find any of these variations. A friend of mine owns mine now so when I deliver a few more pieces he's just bought I'll check the roof for the filled holes. Though I'm usually quick to spot any tell tales of former add-ons. When I found this machine the badge was covering the payout hole.
Attachments
fleet air arm badge.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Well in fact there's four variations shown in the pics on this page! I imagine the red painted version on the top of the page with the bombs below the winning slots would be called Bomber Command. I guess since the artwork is quite similiar on the Fleet Air Arm and on my version that they were both called that. And probably the tank vesion is D-Day. There still could be another wartime theme but I can't remember if it's one shown on this page or not........getting old! And I'm certain I've seen at least two more cabinet styles to the ones shown here.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I found a pic on my hardrive I had of the tank artwork and it's the exact same photo as here, found on somebody's website in 2005 when I was researching these things. The door is made differently with thinner side wood. My cabinet had used recycled wood because there was an odd routered cut running inside the rhd side panel. There was also one on UK eBay a few years ago with different artwork to mine that had a very tall unusual cabinet style.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Here's a picture of the machine I posted at the top of this thread and which has now been restored by its owner. He believes that the machine is known as 'Bomber Command'.
Attachments
Picture 742.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It looks a whole lot nicer now the red paint has gone.

I notice the mechanism had the original large bell but no solenoid to strike it. I wonder if your friend found a suitable replacement for that.
Posted below is a mechanism with bell missing but solenoids in place.

The one I'm restoring (bottom image) was missing both bell and bell solenoid. Fortunately I've found a bell, but now I need the solenoid. I'm not sure quite what I'm looking for. The payout solenoid on mine doesn't appear to be original. If I return it to battery power, I wonder what voltage the solenoids need to be.
Attachments
bmco-em-mech1.jpg
bmco-em-mech1CU.jpg
bmco-em-mech2.jpg
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Dave, the solenoid and bell look like they may be ex-pinball units??? they normally work on about 25volts, I am sure you could get one to run on say 12 volts, but the battery would not last very long before it needed changing, the photo is taken from my Gottlieb world fair pinball, I hope this has helped !PUZZLED!
Attachments
bell.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Thanks Stuart. I'll see if I can find a suitable solenoid on fleabay.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

The machine which opened this thread has just been re-united with it's brother !!CHEERS!!
Attachments
HPIM0194.JPG
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

This one finished on ebay today with the top flash

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320885385858? ... 836wt_1185
Attachments
arm1.JPG
arm2.JPG
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Nice refurb project, did you win it treefrog?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I am curious about some allwins that were painted, as this one and the one at the start of the thread were both painted and though they may well be a nice oak finish underneath, is it possible they were produced like this?

Yes, I did get this one, there are those occasions when I just can't say no and really fancied this. It looks all complete, I have yet to try connecting to the power as a couple of wires are loose. The previous owner (probably his father) put in some earth wires I guess the protect his kids as this was bought for the owner over 30 years ago when a kid and another machine. Still deciding whether to strip off the paint, which I am sure you will probably advise....A question though, when would these have been produced?

Thanks
TF
jingle

Post by jingle »

alright treeie lad

i have 2 of these
one i bought form an antique shop
and its was all polished nice

the other i bought in a lot found in a barn
not used since the 60s
it was painted red
and looked original
its been stored away for a while now
but am sure i stripped mine to match the other
also one had a bell in, when you
won it rang,and a bulb flashed inside to look like a bomb going off
hence the red circle in the corner

also one had a mercury switch in
and the other never

i dropped one in my garage and broke the mercury switch :cry:

it was the wifes fault
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Anchor Supplies in Ripley N Derbyshire had a big box of little mercury switches sitting on a shelf for years.

Naturally after I realised how useful they could be, they withdrew them for sale. Something to do with not being able to sell mercury unless it falls under being part of an antique like a barometer.

:(
jingle

Post by jingle »

i bought 5 in a box on ebay
about 3 years ago
they were 30 pounds buy it now

thought they would come in handy

they are still sitting next to my pc
in the box

and i moved house last year,,

what age do ya think ,,