Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
malcymal

Sega on Ebay - What is that ugly bit at top ??

Postby malcymal » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Guys, I've seen these ugly looking plates on front of Segas? Can you tell me what's gone on for this to be on there? e.g. has something been chopped, mucked about with. There's another one on eBay right now, nice looking for machine that has been totally uglified with the plate under the denominator badge?
8027_1.JPG

andy g

Re: Sega on Ebay - What is that ugly bit at top ??

Postby andy g » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:06 pm

The plate is covering the hole where the progressive meter should be. The top glass is also incorrect - it should be a progressive glass (the one fitted is the same as on my Diamond 3 Star).
meter2.jpg
meter2.jpg (27.14 KiB) Viewed 2024 times
sega progressive star 1b.jpg
sega progressive star 1b.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 2024 times

malcymal

Postby malcymal » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:33 pm

Oh right, so I assume you call the attendant for a 'hand pay' then if you hit the jackpot?? Thanks for this, never seen a photo of one until you posted yours! appreciated.

chris rideout

Postby chris rideout » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:07 am

Unlike the melons and bars, the 3 star award was not paid by the machine. An attendant had to be present to pay out the cash over the bar. The correct Progressive Star display panel shows "100 coins plus meter reading". When the attendant paid the winner, the meter would be reset to zero with a key. In later years, this method of payout was outlawed and all wins had to be paid by the machine.

I have one of these machines myself. It had been converted from 6d play to 5p (shilling size) in the early 1970s and has a Shefras escalator. The reel tapes (also from Shefras) differ slightly with the stars printed inside a ring shape and not combined with the lemon-orange-bar as was the case with most machines. The 3 stars then paid another jackpot. An extra cherry (in place of a bell) is on the first reel. This was probably to put the payout above 75 per cent. Remember, the old 5p coin was larger than the 6d and the jackpot could not hold so many coins. However, I removed the paint and body filler off the top right hand part of the casing and I now have the meter working visibly.

As for currency, It now works with 20p coins. The rejector needed only a slight modification and a smaller coin entry was made to stop the new size 10p coins from being inserted. I bought the machine for £25 nearly 36 years ago. Not a bad deal? Well, that was a week of take home pay in those day when Guinness and Stella was onlt 25p a pint!

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:44 am

Is the meter operated mechanically or electrically?

andy g

Postby andy g » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:28 pm

Hi
The meter is mechanically operated by the coin advance bar on the mech,
20 plays adds 1 to the meter. The two pictures show the meter on a Sega light-up and a Continental.
lite up.JPG
continental.JPG

chris rideout

Postby chris rideout » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:13 am

On my Progressive, the Philip Shefras escalator presumably could have linked up the meter but when I bought mine, the 3 stars meter had a label stuck over it and informed players that 3 stars paid a jackpot. To get the meter working, I hooked up a large tension spring to hang down from the meter incrementor lever to the coin advance crank. When I saw your picture, it shows me what should be inside but part of mine had been taken out years ago. Not to worry; it still works even if it isn't a standard fitting.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:39 am

Chris Rideout wrote:....... Not to worry; it still works even if it isn't a standard fitting.
Yay! "bodging" the bastard child of invention whose mother was necessity and the music track was done by Frank Zappa ....... pauses to take today's medication and rejoins the world of the straights! :oops:

chris rideout

Postby chris rideout » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:46 pm

Andy G wrote:Hi
The meter is mechanically operated by the coin advance bar on the mech, 20 plays adds 1 to the meter. The two pictures show the meter on a Sega light-up and a Continental.
Re the first picture, there should also be a meter on the inside of the progressive Star. It is a small 5 digit affair and increments by 1 unit each time the handle is pulled. Mine is there and I also think some Sega machines had a 3 digit door opening meter which (obviously) counted the number of times the back door had been opened. I am not too sure where it was fitted. Mine was found in the coin box amongst a few springs, nuts, bolts, etc. when I bought it. Also, my machine has a long slot cut into the "back bonnet" fitted with a plastic window. It enables the internal meter to be read without taking the machine apart. I don't know how many Sega machines had this modification.