Original Manufacturing Co. (JG Brenner) Human Analyst

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
john t peterson

Original Manufacturing Co. (JG Brenner) Human Analyst

Post by john t peterson »

There is an interesting fortune teller on Ebay US right now. It is "The Human Analyst" by John Brenner under the banner of the Original Amusement Company in 1932. The machine appears to be complete although inoperable. The Ebay item number is: 160313704225. It's worth a look.
slotalot

Re: "The Human Analyst" fortune teller for sale on Ebay.

Post by slotalot »

Hi John :D , Its an interesting looking machine, I have never seen anything quite like it :!?!: but I would love to get it down the shed and put some life back in to it.... but its only me dreaming this time :zzz: .... I have copied some of the photos so we can all have a look... :tarah:
Attachments
d597_12.jpg
d4b2_12.jpg
d280_12.jpg
treefrog

Re: "The Human Analyst" on Ebay

Post by treefrog »

One of these machines has popped up for sale on a Facebook group. Only added as not around the corner, but in Switzerland. They have shared a note that talks about Botany Bay, but note the one that was there is less deteriorated. Anyway, could be yours for a small fee of £3600.

Anyone know what it actually does, as lots of wires and mechanical parts in the bottom? I cannot work out what they are for. !PUZZLED!
Attachments
846577EB-E6CB-4096-9383-77E4E9D5EFACa.jpg
37F42FD5-A2C3-4CA6-A143-95D2BCDB1277a.jpg
84E7439A-BFED-454D-BF80-FAC3A86FAF3Da.jpg
DACE4BFE-9731-438B-B3A7-A3976EDFA5C8a.jpg
8C044F14-A745-4E79-AAEA-343C99ED1BE2a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Was Darren Hesketh at Botany Bay?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I believe so. The one from Botany Bay is pictured in his book.

Human-Analyst1.jpg

Like the Green Ray, it delivers a printed fortune after its electro-mechanical brain has ruminated a while, to the accompaniment of various buzzes, clicks and flickering lights. No smoke, but plenty of mirrors, and as can be seen in the video below (and evident in the mechanism picture), there was a large central rotating element. These Brenner fortune tellers instructed the punter to concentrate and 'grip and raise the analysis handle'. If you let go, you received a 'spoiled reading' card, and were encouraged to try again.
Analysis spoiled... this scientific analysis machine will do its part of the work only... if you co-operate and follow the instructions... you did not grip and lift the magnetic handle... before inserting the penny... the vital contact between you and the machine was therefore not made in time... please do your share... read the simple instructions... try again... and concentrate.
It's strange that this Swiss example is lacking the card dispensing tray.
HUMAN ANALYST
Embodying the Secret Scientific Principles of
Prof. Renerb

-
UNFAILINGLY DELIVERS A
TYPEWRITTEN RECORD OF
YOUR CHARACTERISTICS
-
COME AND
BE ANALYSED
Click on the image and enlarge the video to see Brenner Radio Analyst working:
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

The carousels are missing that hold the cards stacked in a criss cross manner. When dispensed, the card should slide down a chute to the tray at the front, all of which is missing, along with most of the running gear. The video above is a slightly different model. The eBay machine is the same type as Clive's (formerly at Darren's arcade), which has a triangular arrangement of tall rectangular mirrors that slowly turn to reveal different views of your face from differing angles as you look in.
They don't take a bean, yet when converted into a fortune teller as many were, do very well indeed.

Various conversion kits were available for these, the cheaper options with pressed papermache torso and head combined, painted face and suitably dressed. The left hand fixed and the other moving left and right holding a quill pen. The grander options right up to quality wax head with glass eyes, and wax hands. The odd shape, tall height, heavy weight, and generally awkward size of these cabinets make them a bugger to move around!
Oh and these use the penny to make electrical circuit, so if it jams with pennies right back up to the slot it's 'frying tonight!' for the player.
Complete rewire required, along with a hefty reduction in price.
The previous images of the machine with the witch in the cabinet is a complete bodge job, as the witch is a modern plastic toy automaton, made by US toy designer Gemmy and just a Halloween prop stuck inside an old empty Human Analyst cabinet.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

moonriver wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:14 am The video above is a slightly different model.
Yes, it's the Radio Analyst, not the Human Analyst. It looks like it offers different readings (i.e. different cards) on all three sides of the machine. The large trapezoid cabinet makes more sense in that context, and was presumably the original concept when it first went into production.
IN FRONT
I Analyse
WHAT
YOUR
STARS
Foretell.

ON THIS SIDE I ANALYSE
YOUR PERSONALITY
AND APPEARANCE
DIRECTIONS - FIRST GRIP & RAISE ANALYSIS
HANDLE & INSERT PENNY.
NATURAL ATTITUDE ESSENTIAL.

Opposite
I Analyse
YOUR
Characteristics.
These two culled from Pinterest - The Sheik (erroneously attributed to Ahrens on Pinterest) and Madam Isis. Are these both papier-mâché heads?
Personally, I much prefer Brenner's original mad-science/steam-punk design, both the look and concept.
Attachments
The Sheik
The Sheik
Madam Isis
Madam Isis
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

The Sheik, photos taken outside the collector owner's storage in Florida. Subsequently put into Morphys auction where I bought it and had it shipped back here. Yes, it had a papermache 'form' head and torso combined, painted face and painted eyes all completely flaked off and faded away. Now has had a full restoration head and body expertly done by Austin Phillips who restored my Opera Singers , vintage blown glass eyes fitted that move side to side and opening and closing eyelids with traditional soft leather seamless look. Face painted in authentic way and suitably aged. The eyes operate on cord pull from main mechanism below and the eyelids open and close when the head moves forward and back again using the traditional pendulum method.
Case now stripped down to the lovely hardwood underneath and french polished, fittings re-chromed.
The Madame Isis is in South Africa and part of a well known operator's long stored collection that has been touted about for sale for a long time. Similar papermache head /body.
I take your point on liking the quirky steampunk design of the Analyst, but most telling that so many kits were produced to convert them into fortune tellers, only reinforces the notion that they take far more in the cash box.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

moonriver wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:13 pm Now has had a full restoration...
Fantastic! What great work you're doing to return these marvels to glory and the UK. !!THUMBSX2!!
So pleased to hear you've opted for French polishing. Half the charm is lost when they're painted (in my opinion).
I'd love to see a picture. Even better - a video. |/XX\|
moonriver wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:13 pm The Madame Isis is in South Africa and part of a well known operator's long stored collection that has been touted about for sale for a long time. Similar papermache head /body.
Ah yes, I remember why it looked familiar now. I turned down the chance to buy it when I purchased some other machines from that gentleman. Don't think he was asking a lot at the time.

One-eyed Gipsy Fortune-Teller - Brighton Museum
One-eyed Gipsy Fortune-Teller - Brighton Museum

Bastardized version
Bastardized version

Sold at Morphys:
Attachments
Human Analysis - extensively remodelled by Mike Munves
Human Analysis - extensively remodelled by Mike Munves
178395e_med.jpeg
178395c_lg.jpeg
178395b_lg.jpeg
178395a_lg.jpeg
Morph1.jpg
Morph2.jpg
Morph3.jpg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

pennymachines wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:29 pm I'd love to see a picture. Even better - a video. |/XX\|
Yes I can. It's buried currently and I haven't rewired the inside yet, (it's one of the penny makes the electrical circuit mechs) so that's to do too, but it's on the list to go out on site, so on the 'to do' list.

Mike Munves had a lot to answer for, some of his fortune teller 'conversions' removing the original wax heads and re-fitting light up heads were horrendous and ruined both the look and the value.
bryans fan

Re: Original Manufacturing Co. (JG Brenner) Human Analyst

Post by bryans fan »

Thank you moonriver for sharing your insider knowledge of these machines. First hand info direct from a reliable source is invaluable. Well done for repatriating this rare machine. And for doing sympathetic restorations in keeping with the age of the machines.
Above all, operating them so others may enjoy them. !!THUMBSX2!!
!THANKS!
moonriver

Re: Original Manufacturing Co. (JG Brenner) Human Analyst

Post by moonriver »

!!THUMBSX2!!