Somebody knows... Maybe you?
markymark

Reels Don't Always Spin Fast! Need Help Again!!!

Postby markymark » Mon May 04, 2009 6:16 pm

Hi
Yes another one of those boring questions again... I know I posted a similar one about 2 years ago but even with the knowledge of all the members here, no one really gave an answer to cure the problem!
Anyway, hope someone can help. A regular Sega/Mills type mechanics. When the handle is pulled the whole thing works perfect, the reels spin rapidly. However, approx. every 4th or 5th spin the reels don't have that "kick" to them, the far left reel sometimes hardley rotates!!!
The mechanics have been stripped and cleaned and lubricated. Whats puzzling me is if there was a fault, weak spring etc.. then surely the thing would perform bad everytime, but as it can work perfect most of the time its beginning to baffle my little brain cells!

It's almost like sometimes the Kicker doesn't kick the reels round with any power??

Any help or suggestions you can throw this way would be great.

Thanks.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Reels Don't Always Spin Fast! Need Help Again!!!

Postby badpenny » Tue May 05, 2009 11:34 am

I suggest that the reels aren't always staying in line when the kicker travels under them to get to the back. They are kept in place by the arrowed piece in the photo. If the spring on it isn't strong enough to keep the reels in line then what you describe can happen.
DSCN0554.jpg

steinslots

Postby steinslots » Tue May 05, 2009 12:44 pm

An excellent photo and explanation from Badpenny by the way!
Can I just add:
The reason for the apparent randomness of the spin times is because Sega machines were sometimes fitted with a "randomiser". This consists of an offset cam having several flats around it, which rotates slightly on each mechanism operation and thus alters the clocks spring travel and consequently adding a variable time each spin.

markymark

Postby markymark » Tue May 05, 2009 8:22 pm

Thanks for both pieces of advice. I looked today at the mechanics... I know you all been there before... pull the mechanics out, point a bright spotlight, grad the longest screw driver you can find, and pull the mechanism, and watch it work.. aagain and again and again!!!! I must have played that machine 100 times or more tonight watching every lever, spring and moving part!!!
I think I may have solved.. I tightened the spring that is fitted on the kicker arm.. but couldn't fully test as the wife insisted I come in from the workshop (well, garage to be exact!!)...
But will try the spring tightening also as recommended to keep the reels held in place. thanks again for hints and tips, anymore much appreciated!

Thx

Mark

malcymal

Postby malcymal » Tue May 05, 2009 8:57 pm

Wives always have that moment to spoil your fun, 8 hours working on the bandit whilst the housework is piling up is reasonable isnt it? Come on wives, give us addicts a break :P

steinslots

Postby steinslots » Wed May 06, 2009 7:57 am

and dont forget the brakes! That's the springy arm on each reel held in place with 2 wingnuts.
You could loosen these wingnuts slightly and tweak the pressure on each screw to adjust each reel so each comes to a soft stop, you can see one of them in the photo (bot right).
(by the way, nice Sega mech Dave, is it for sale?).

steinslots

Postby steinslots » Wed May 06, 2009 8:13 am

I'm having the same problem at home: On Sunday I was busy de-greasing this old Mills mech in the kitchen sink when my adoring wife pushed all of the payslides off the draining board with a tray of roast chicken, after I'd carefully laid them all out in sequence. Several screws fell down into the sink.

I said "Can't you do that outside love?" Then she said "Do you wanna eat this chicken or wear it?"

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Wed May 06, 2009 9:49 am

steinslots wrote:An excellent photo and explanation from Badpenny by the way!
Can I just add:
The reason for the apparent randomness of the spin times is because Sega machines were sometimes fitted with a "randomiser". This consists of an offset cam having several flats around it, which rotates slightly on each mechanism operation and thus alters the clocks spring travel and consequently adding a variable time each spin.
Well I always had doubts that you'd manage to quit the habit Carl, so am not surprised that you're back (by the way I don't know which Dave you think I am but it's Jeremy here)
The bandit is pictured below, and when I paid nearly £500 for it about nine years ago I was told that it had been a salesmen's model as it has the lot fitted including Gold Award and Sega tokens, oak sides and everything appears to be nickel plated. So no it's not for sale ..... except they do say everything has its price.
Anyway you had the last superb machine I owned off me when you wangled my immaculate Bryans Elevenses from me, and that's still painful!
Sega1.jpg

steinslots

Postby steinslots » Wed May 06, 2009 10:27 am

It's........so..........so..........beautiful.
Any hows it going chap?
I still have that very Bryans, still in its splendid glory. What do you mean by wrangled? you had put a price ticket on it!
I still miss my ol' Jennings Governor, worked so hard to get it, why did it have to go? Why?
(I thought the Bailiffs might think it looked bling!).

markymark

Postby markymark » Wed May 06, 2009 9:23 pm

Well.. the story continues...
I loaded the machine back in the case... dropped a few sixpences in and pulled the handle..wow.. all 3 reels spun like greased lightning!!! I tried it again and again and again...perfect.. then just as I was feeling proud (you know what's coming next!!!!), another pull of the handle and the darn reels can't even manage a full rotation...Bah!!! After playing for a while, still it performs well sometimes then it plays poor for a couple of spins. I think every 5 spins, 1 is slow!! I got a feeling I'll take this troublesome spin to the grave... I tried everything...
Please help - is there something I've overlooked? All springs have been checked.. the kicker pulls back, engages payplate cutouts and kicks them round. For the life of me I can't see why there's no "Oomph" in them sometimes!

Any more hints or tips..please!!!

Mark.