Earth Satellite

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
treefrog

Earth Satellite

Post by treefrog »

I was very tempted by this Earth Satellite, but not knowing enough about this machine did not bid. It looks like an interesting machine, anyone know much about these and did I miss a bargain SkEpTiCaL

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
Attachments
earth satelitte.jpg
jingle

Re: Earth Satellite

Post by jingle »

there was another of
these machines on ebay couple of weeks ago
it made mid 600s
but thats because there has not been
one for sale for a while,
so the 2nd in such a short time always goes cheaper,
its like the 30s challenger that went for mid 600s
not one on for a while so
they seem to make good money at first,,

i think the rufflers value is mid 500s
in the going market
hope that help's
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I think I would agree with Jingle's valuation, although I was the reckless buyer of the one that went for £625. The vendor took pity on me for braving the snow to collect and let me have it for £620. Still pricey compared to the second one, but as Jingle says, that's how it goes. I wait ages for a satellite, two come along at once and I make the mistake of jumping on the first. :roll:

Although it's not the rarest of allwins, for some reason I've never bought one before. The obvious attraction is the space theme but its other special feature might be considered a drawback: the small top loop, where the ball orbits the earth above a field of pins, effectively eliminates any semblance of skill.

The clever payout mechanism, unique to the large Ruffler & Walker/Corteen allwins (Earth Satellite, Fill Em Up, What's My Line, Many Happy Returns and Hat Trick), delivers variable amounts, from 2 to 6 pennies, with a single crank of the turning handle. Also, like the Hat Trick, Earth Satellite has removable win tubes which the operator could reconfigure at will to optimize takings.
Attachments
EarthSatellite.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey PM, I've always looked at it that if you're collecting for the long term then some machines will be bargains, some will be on the money and some will be a little over, unless you have very deep pockets of course. But it all evens out over a number of years. And of course things do change the longer you collect, your taste becomes more refined and it gets harder to satisfy! And one day without realising it you go from paying hundreds to thousands. And eventually you're paying record prices for certain things. But how can you put a price on excitement? !!YIPPEE!!

And can't say I regret any of the machines I've purchased even though some turned out to be dogs, only regret the few that I talked myself out of buying :#:
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I prefer to keep my regret evenly balanced between buying and selling. !!SUICIDAL!!

J Peterson
Your American Bi-Polar
jingle

Post by jingle »

funny enough
i got an email out of the blue
from an ebay member
6 months ago asking
me if i would like to buy a machine
as he seen that i had a few on there
so yes please i said
send me a picture

and it was an
EARTH SATELLITE
in really nice condition
but he lived
in norfolk

long way from scouse land,,
but i was going to ardingly antique fair
that week
going round the m25 @&@

he met me at the bottom of the m11
and we agreed the price
350 POUNDS DELIVERD TO THE M25 %|% %|%

custdy i said,,,,,,THEY VERY RARELY HAPPEN THO

GAMESWAT YA BANG ON WITH
THE STORY ON UP GRADING THERE LAD,
YOU CAN BUY CHEAP MACHINES EVERYDAY

TRY FIND GOOD EXPENSIVE ONES
THERE ROCKIN HORSE SHIT

AND THATS WHY THERE ARE NOW LOTS OF PEOPLE
ALL CHASING THE DEAR STUFF

BECAUSE ITS GONE,ITS EITHER SITTING IN COLLECTIONS
IN THE UK WERE THEY DONT WANT TO SELL
OR IN THE STATES[TINY BIT IN OZZ]

SO UP GO THE PRICE'S
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Just to prove the earlier claim by John Peterson that he's a huckster, here's the Earth Satellite that he somehow talked me into buying a few years ago, along with a number of other artistically challenged Penny machines! He's good I'll give him that. He claimed this was the extremely rare 3D backflash version and the only known example. :burp: Anyway just been moving machines around all day and took a look at this one a little more closely. I think I'll be battling to flatten without destroying the lifted paint. So just wondering if anybody can please help out with my digital restoration of the artwork and happens to have photographed their's already? Even a photo taken straight on of a good playfield still populated will work fine as i can figure out any hidden art from my original. cheers.
Attachments
earth satellite.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Gameswat, you're out of this world!

jp
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Gameswat, you're out of this world!
Of course he's out of this world John, in both my country and yours he's an alien . !!HYSTERIA!!
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

hi gameswat
did you ever get sorted with a backflash ?
if not i have just finished this one, not perfect but may be of some use, i can upload it bigger in resources i think, if not i can send you a photo of my original one to work with.
Attachments
earth.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thanks Widget, a lot better than what I have! I've been thinking about how to deal with the silver in the print. I'll try printing the art, then painting in the silver by hand, then some small clear water decals over that with the black lines printed on them. There are special printers that will do silver and gold but I've never seen them.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

yep the silver and gold always is a problem, keep us updated when its done :) im sure it will be perfect from you.
i can send you my original photo in high quality if you want to start from scratch ?
Attachments
2015-01-06 15.32.24.jpg
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Gameswat wrote:Thanks Widget, a lot better than what I have! I've been thinking about how to deal with the silver in the print. I'll try printing the art, then painting in the silver by hand, then some small clear water decals over that with the black lines printed on them. There are special printers that will do silver and gold but I've never seen them.
You might find this video useful, it would be fiddly but I am sure it could be done with a hot iron and a bit of messing?? !!THUMBSX2!!

gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Well finally got most of the backflash poster done tonight and over the moon with it! :lol: My original plan from years ago as thought out above in old postings to paint silver over the print and place clear decals with black printing turned out to work perfectly for me. The artwork is not done the same as Whales or pretty much all the other makers who reverse silk screened onto clear plastic. R&W machines all seem to be screened art onto thick paper, then clear laminated afterwards.

As can be seen with mine, the plastic shrank terribly but the paper could barely shrink so it pulled away. I ended up soaking my original wrinkled to death backflash in the bath to remove the paper, which was useless. But thankfully the silver pretty much stayed attached to the plastic along with most of the black outlining. So I then cut out each space ship and word from the plastic and soaked in boiling water for 30 seconds and flattened, so they would scan nicely.

I used the small file of Widget's artwork shown above as just a layout to add each piece of restored graphic over the top to get the basic spacing right. I had the print done at my local office supply store for all of $9 with a turn around of less than a day. Then from my finished artwork I stripped out the black outlines I needed for each of the silver ships and printed that onto a sheet of clear decal paper. I had already sealed the paper print with a UV fast clear, then multiple layers of clear lacquer.

I gave the whole print a quick rub over with #0000 steel wool to roughen up the surface and remove any small blemishes. Then masked the whole print with airbrush frisket film, which is very thin and low tack, so can be removed without lifting the artwork, and cuts very easily with a surgical scalpel. Because I was replacing all the black outlining with my decals I could quite roughly cut each space ship and not bother about being perfectly accurate and cut through the middle of each outline.

I sprayed just enough silver lacquer paint to almost cover the black details but left a little to make it easy to lay my decals in exact registration. After removing the frisket I rubbed over each silver detail with the #0000 steel wool to make sure I had nice feathered edges since the decals would be laying over these edges. After the first Sputnik decal went down it looked fantastic. To all the people that have told me over the years that grey print matches silver just fine - you're blind! :o I still have multiple coats of clear lacquer to lay over this now to build up a thick gloss which will replicate the thin plastic laminate they used.

Would guess at this point I'm a good 20 hours into this thing but might be my favourite graphic restoration yet......
Attachments
Original as found!
Original as found!
Finished silver ships with black decals
Finished silver ships with black decals
Print as supplied with light grey instead of silver
Print as supplied with light grey instead of silver
Starting to remove frisket
Starting to remove frisket
Ready for decals
Ready for decals
Finished
Finished
First decal placed
First decal placed
Second decal placed
Second decal placed
highfield

Post by highfield »

Great job, well done !!CHEERS!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

**xXx** !!THUMBSX2!! !!CHEERS!!

Very good, I always wonder whether the new owner in 50 years would have a clue
jingle

Post by jingle »

**xXx** your are the best Rory
Bob
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

It's great to see you back on here Bob !!
jingle

Post by jingle »

!!COOEE!!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

:cool: welcome back