Mutoscope help please!

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
rivierakid

Mutoscope help please!

Post by rivierakid »

Well I just got back from an auction today where I invested in my first ever mutoscope - a large round head "tinny". Having now got it home and had an initial poke around it seems to be mechanically complete and functional. However it hasnt got any wiring or lighting (the lamp holder is there though).
muto1.jpg

muto2.jpg

Electrics arent my strong point and I really need some expert help to get the machine back to it's original illuminated glory (as well as making sure I dont electrocute anyone). So I wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of a repair/restorer of these machines. Also if anyone has any good condition reels for sale then I'd be glad to hear from you.

Many thanks.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Mutoscope help please!

Post by badpenny »

Can you wire a plug?
If so buy one and a length of flex, stick the plug on one end and wire the other end to the bulb holder. Put a switch between the two if you want, mine didn't have one, but it's up to you. :cool:
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi rivierakid, :D well done, always wanted one myself, maybe one day I will be in the right place at the right time and find one :!?!:
Have you seen the youtube clip in the 'See It Operate' section? !THUMBS!

International Mutoscope Penny Arcade Moving Pictures - Mechanism Explained
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Badpenny wrote:Can you wire a plug?
If so buy one and a length of flex, stick the plug on one end and wire the other end to the bulb holder. Put a switch between the two if you want, mine didn't have one, but it's up to you. :cool:
You must earth the cabinet too!
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

I think I underbid this, :cry: John Hayward in Brighton has spares for them. I have reels for these.
rivierakid

Post by rivierakid »

slotalot wrote:Have you seen the youtube clip in the 'See It Operate' section? !THUMBS!

International Mutoscope Penny Arcade Moving Pictures - Mechanism Explained
Thanks for the reply - this clip is exactly what prompted my question. I can easily wire up a flex with a plug - but this clip shows a far more sophisticated arrangement with the lighting controlled by the reel "flicker" plate. Does anyone know whether this is the arrangement that would have originally been in this type of machine and whether it is possible to re-install it - or should I simply rely on a flex and switch ???
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Nice looking machine, as a matter of interest, there was also a one armed bandit described "in gold and red metal case" at the Jones and jacob sale, did you see what is was, as I thought about going myself, but had other commitments.
rivierakid

Post by rivierakid »

I did see the bandit but didn't pay too much attention to it. I think it was a Mills jackpot UK conversion on 1d play. It looked all original but I think the woodwork needed attention and overall would benefit from a good tidy-up. Other interesting lots were a fantastic original BMCo 24-cup and a Pussy Shooter that will make a very nice machine with a bit of TLC.
jingle

Post by jingle »

what did the pussy shooter make please
rivierakid

Post by rivierakid »

It sold for £800 plus commission and VAT - so probably about £1,000 all up.
rivierakid

Post by rivierakid »

Coin-op wrote:You must earth the cabinet too!
Thanks for the advice - but just to be clear, do I need to just earth the flex to the cabinet or do I also have to earth bond the cabinet/stand to ground, i.e. run an earth bond to say a radiator pipe?
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Just to the cabinet.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

The bandit was a Bollands Mills revamp; the only thing left of the Mills was the mech.
Attachments
image003.jpg
image004.jpg
image009.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I'm pretty sure I once owned that Pussy Shooter.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Earthing

Use three core flex.
The earth wire is yellow/green, one end is bolted to the metal cabinet the other is screwed to the central pin on the plug.
The plug should only have a low amperage fuse, 3amp. :!:
jingle

Post by jingle »

must have been rough for that price
if it wasnt
then someone got a bargain
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Yes, the machine originally only lights up when the reel is in a wound position, there should be a spring in the winding part that will unravel if you let the handle go, this lets the reel untension, which turns the light off, saving power and stops fading the images. As soon as you start winding again the switch closes and you can see again. Personally I like to add in a small 6 or 12 volt transformer to run my muto light globe, then the chance of electrocution is greatly reduced. Earthing the cabinet is fine but in my time I've seen too many 3 pin power plugs on machines with the earth wire loose or pulled out, and also earth faulty extension cords, and even wall sockets with missing earth....I sell machines and like them to be as safe as possible for future owners who might be a lot less aware of these things than me. For the same reason I also recently converted a French crane to 24 volt coin chute operation, from the possibly lethal 240volt original. If the machine is off and people keep adding pennies it only takes about 10 until they stick out of the coin entry, then if the machine is turned on suddenly the whole front panel is live 240Volts!!! And if the earth has failed for any of the above reasons, bad vibes.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

i rang a john hayward of brighton well over a year ago for some mutoscope parts... Does anyone know if he is still selling spares????? Or some one else that does mutoscope parts????
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

There's a name from the past ..... The Mutoscope Man. I seem to remember that Jerry was collecting lots off him to enter into the first auctions we did. Lots as in things to auction not as in much SkEpTiCaL