Mechanical Memories Auction 2011

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
JC

Mechanical Memories Auction 2011

Post by JC »

Well, here we are again, fast approaching the biggest annual event in the slotties calendar - the Mechanical Memories Magazine Central England Vintage Coin-Op Auction, on 27th November.
Subscribers to the magazine should all have received their Oct. issue by now, with entry form included.
Non subscribers should do one of two things:
1) Subscribe to the magazine.
2) Email me via this site for an entry form, should you have anything you wish to enter in the auction.

More updates in due course.

Jerry
terry

Re: Coventry 2011

Post by terry »

Jerry, is there a new link to subscribe to the mag online as the one on this site doesn't appear to be working anymore? Regards. Terry.
JC

Post by JC »

Not working, eh? Ok, we'll have to get that fixed. In the meantime, you can make a Paypal payment directly to my email address. I'll PM you.

All the best

Jerry
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

As Jerry has intimated we're already getting some interesting and rare machines entered. A couple of Bryans including a Worlball plus a GW Double Six, and we haven't even started yet. !!YIPPEE!!
grabber

Post by grabber »

Hi
Is it possible to view the lots on line and can I buy a catalogue now?
Thanks,
The Grabber.
JC

Post by JC »

Hello Mike

As you will have read in the magazine, catalogues can be ordered at any time - in fact, over 40 people already have. Just remember that they will not be ready to post until a couple of weeks before the event.

Pictures as supplied by the vendors will be posted online. I'm not sure where at the moment - the last couple of years I've used my site http://www.mechanicalmemoriesmuseum.co.uk but this year I'm thinking of setting up a decicated site, it all depends on time (something I never seem to have much of).
Updates in due course.
JC

Post by JC »

Time for a quick update. We are currently looking at about 200 lots and I know there are still more entry forms to come in, so it should be another good 'un. I’ll whet your appetites with some of the entries later, but for the time being, here’s what we HAVEN’T got: Olly Whales allwins! Probably for the first time in recent memory, there is not a single Whales allwin entered so far. So if you’re still thinking about what to enter, there’s an idea. But be quick though – the closing date is Monday 7th.

I know quite a few of you stay over on the Saturday or Sunday night. Sharron and I are booked into the Britannia Royal Court hotel, details below:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/britann ... fAodblA4Ig

So if anyone’s staying over this year, let me know nearer the time and perhaps we could meet up for a beer. !!CHEERS!!
JC

Post by JC »

This year, we are very privileged to have on offer a number of machines from a private collection, which represent an important era in the early development of coin-operated amusement machines. This little beauty is a Pessers, Moody, Wraith & Gurr Improved Pickwick, c.1905
Attachments
Cov. 11 PMW&G Improved Pickwick.jpg
grabber

Post by grabber »

Hi Jerry,
Is the catalogue ready to buy yet or can it be seen online?
Regards.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Jerry is currently wrestling with both the compilation of the catalogue and the magazine, he is on target.
Not wishing to add to his workload, but so far as on line is concerned, what usually happens is a selection of photos tends to be added to his website about the same time.

I'm sure he won't mind me stealing his thunder when I say that this year we have the largest and most varied collection of lots ever. Including machines that rarely come up for sale and that most of us won't have seen in the flesh before.

Best not miss this one and best bring your cameras.............. and cash of course.
JC

Post by JC »

No thunder stolen here BP - at the time you posted the above, I was in the pub enjoying a few pints of best British ale !!BEER!! !!CHEERS!!

Now, I know we've both said this before, but this is the one you really should not miss. This year we have the most diverse selection of machines on offer - there will truely be something to suit all tastes and pockets. In particular, as BP has stated above, there are a good number of machines that many collectors will never have seen before and will probably never see again.

So re-mortgage your house, sell the cat, cash-in your wife's life insurance, book a hotel for the weekend.....................just get ready for the biggest slotties' event of the year!
JC

Post by JC »

We've all seen Jennings Governors and Bryans Elevenses on ebay, described as 'rare'............well, among the many treasures on offer at Coventry this year, we will have on offer a set of three Price & Castell wall machines (c.1900) that are truely rare, infact they're unique - no others are known to exist.
Start saving those pennies...........
Attachments
Cov. 11 Price & Castell 1.jpg
Cov. 11 Price & Castell 2.jpg
Cov. 11 Price & Castell 3.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Down the pub!! ........... Brilliant, I'm trying to get him some sympathy for all the work he's putting in on the catalogue and magazine. and where is he? :#:
JC

Post by JC »

Well, there was certainly no time for the pub tonight. I've been working on some VERY late entries from a certain forum member whose initials are not dissimilar to mine. ;-)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

JC wrote:Well, there was certainly no time for the pub tonight. I've been working on some VERY late entries from a certain forum member whose initials are not dissimilar to mine. ;-)
Attachments
whistling.jpg
whistling.jpg (3.67 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
papa

Post by papa »

Hi, newb here. Can you tell me is the Coventry event pay-on-the-day? for entrance I mean.
and what time does it start please?
JC

Post by JC »

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

You can pay on the day if you choose but it's probably better to order a catalogue in advance so that you can browse at your leisure, and judge how much you will need to re-mortgage the house for in order to ensure you have enough pound notes with you on the day (please note, it is a cash only auction). Details on ordering catalogues will be posted here very soon.

On the day, viewing will commence at 10.30 am and the auction will start at mid day.

Jerry
papa

Post by papa »

Thanks Jerry,
and yes, a catalogue is a must :D I look forward to hearing from you when they're ready,
Paul (papa).
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

As we have a request for guidelines and advice on another thread , I thought I'd post an answer here.

Guidelines for everyone not just Newbies. -o0O0o-

Apart from the Conditions of Sale & Attendance which appear on the catalogue, here are some tips and advice for everyone to have a great and enjoyable day. !!YABBADABBA!! !!YIPPEE!!

Don't try and enter for viewing before 10.30. Although you'll see others wondering in and out before that time, it's because they are either organisers setting up the room or vendors bringing in their lots. Anybody else will be asked to leave, as they will be in the way. !!HIDING!!

Bring cash, allow for the commission in your bidding. !2CENTS!

If you're not sure where to stick your finger inside a mech to simulate a coin, without losing the tip when you pull the handle, then bring a pocket full of old coins, so you can play. !!JUGGLE!!

Most machines will have their keys tied on with string. If you unlock one to have a squint inside then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE lock it up securely when you've finished. We pick each machine up at the point of sale, and on more than one occasion I've had a case swing open, whilst it's above my head (not good for the heart) Also on some early machines the front door isn't hinged but tips out from the top, and can drop out when somebody moves it (ask Mr Pennymachines about his Conveyor) !PUZZLED!

Wherever you stand you are likely to be in the way of the porters (eventually) so please move and give them room, these machines are heavy and valuable, we don't want broken glass, splintered wood or hernias.

Get all of your viewing done before the lot you are interested in is called. Each year some cloth head will try to open a machine or examine it as I am struggling to get it above my head. The most you are likely to learn from this activity is how revolting my language can be. :NBG:

If you must stand in front of a large lot on the floor be aware of its number then when the auctioneer is calling it and I am running around like a pillock looking for it, you can take sympathy and point it out to me. !!THUMBSX2!!

Lots may not be paid for or removed before the end of the auction. This is not negotiable nor is it up for debate. That's how it is. !THUMBS!

As we get near to the last lots you'll see a queue starting to form, this is the buyers getting ready to pay in. If you have bought anything you will need at the end of the auction to pay in cash. If the queue looks long to you and you decide to go for a dring or a wander around, that's fine but don't leave it too long as another queue is going to form after this of vendors wanting to be paid out. Every year, despite repeated announcements over The PA for anyone who still has to pay in, we always get some numpty who has lost track of time. We can't pay out until the money is in. So please help us to help you. !?!

Finally no private transactions, buying or selling are allowed outside of the organised auction. That means between anyone in or outside of the auction room or in the car park, out of boots of cars etc. !PUNISH!

I'm sure there are more bits of advice to share, but I'll leave it there otherwise it sounds too regimented. We all want to have a great time, the organisers included, by observing the above we all stand a better chance of going home with great new treasures and our sanity.
Enjoy the day, put faces to names, add to your collections and support the hobby.
JC

Post by JC »

...........and just a few points to help us expediate the paying in and paying out process. (These are not rules and regulations, by the way :didact: - just ideas to help us ensure things run as smoothly as possible).

1) At the risk of stating the bloody obvious, higher denomination notes are preferred. Every year, there are quite a few buyers who pay-in with a pocket full of crumpled tenners and fivers, which obviously take time to count. I know fifties can be difficult, in fact last year I attempted to withdraw money from two banks to bring to the auction and niether of them had any fifties !PUZZLED! , but it surely can't be difficult to pay in twenties?

2) To all those who harbour the habit of wrapping a twenty around four more to make a little bundle of £100 - believe me, it is bloody annoying! :dammit: It's not that we don't trust you, but when we are paid a huge wad of these little bundles, we ARE going to count the notes, and unwrapping all the little bundles is very time consuming.

3) Do you remember the days when, if you attempted to pay into the bank a bundle of notes where the queen's head wasn't facing the same way, you'd be hauled before the manager and severely thrashed to within an inch of your life? !PUNISH! Sadly, the banks don't seem to care now..........but we do. Trust me, it is far easier to count notes when they're all facing the same way. So whilst you're waiting your turn to pay in, just spend a little time to get organised.

4) Most buyers generally give Jeremy and me a substantial tip when it's their turn to pay in. !!CHEERS!! If you've never done this before, try it this year - you wouldn't want your fellow slotties to think you're mean, would you? :cool: