Mills Diamond Front

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
giles_gunning

Mills Diamond Front

Post by giles_gunning »

Just picked up a diamond front and was wondering if anyone knew what the cover behind the handle was? Is this a later addition or a factory item, also what is the box in the other picture?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Mills Diamond Front

Post by coppinpr »

The cover is interesting but ive never seen one before,dose it make pulling the handle uncomfortable? looks like it. The box is, I suspect from what i can see, a slug catcher. lead slugs being used to defraud the machine would fall into this rather than falling straight through to let the player try them again
giles_gunning

Post by giles_gunning »

I don't think it makes a difference to how comfortable it is, its slightly inconvenient but that's it.
giles_gunning

Post by giles_gunning »

the 3rd reel (last one to stop) seems to come to a stop really slowly rather than the sort of sudden stop for the 1st and 2nd reels. Any suggestions?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Paul is right it's a slug box as he describes.

That casting is great.
Never seen one before and can only imagine it's some sort of ant-slam device.
Most punters make the mistake of thinking the harder they pull the handle the faster the reels spin.

Is anyone aware of a phase where gamers were slamming the handle back to the vertical for some reason?

I do like it, it's rather meaty, does it have any serial or casting numbers on it?

Edited to add .........

A closer shufty at that guard and part of its shaping looks a bit homemade and sharp. I wonder if it's been formed from something else, it has a bit of a look of a payout tray about it, but not Mills. Could it be a home made spacer so the operator can have a line of bandits tightly wedged together but not blocking each others handles?
That was always the problem with a row of pinballs wedged in with their top boxes touching. An enthusiastic player at one of the line could cause your machine to tilt.
raj

Post by raj »

Yes, the box is a slug acceptor, common to Mills machines. The handle cover, I suspect, may be so the machines can be pushed together closely without the punters trapping their hands, although it seems to have created another trapping problem! Your reel problem sounds like good old gunk & grease. If there are any brake wires attached, then releasing the tension may cure this, or remove altogether. If you start the play cycle and then jam the fan, it will free the reels to spin. There should be very little friction and should spin for a long time before slowing. Some WD40 may do the trick (keep it away from the coin slides though).
giles_gunning

Post by giles_gunning »

No, there are no markings at all.
marktol

Post by marktol »

You must have outbid me on that one as I see it went for just over my max bid. Did you go in person or did you do a absent bid (what I did). Looks like it has the potential to be a lovely machine. Does it have a full escilator?

Had I won it I was toying with coverting it to a Golden Nugget or something a little more interesting than diamond front.

What are your plans for it?

Mark
giles_gunning

Post by giles_gunning »

I did an absentee bid, and it has a roll down escalator. I'm not to sure about my plans, I was contemplating turning it into a black cherry but I wouldn't have thought it would work due to the holes in the castings for the diamonds... I will respray it as the paint is flaking and looks incorrect. Does anyone know the original colours for the case and diamonds?
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

This was in my local auction house, so I felt I had to leave a bid. Left 300, which I thought would be enough, considering the huge buyer's premium. A good original machine despite altered esc, but I don't really need another halftop, so quite glad I missed it :cry:
marktol

Post by marktol »

Yes a 20% fee is a lot! I'm also quite pleased I missed it in the end as I saw Dorset and thought 'that's not far from Southampton' then I was talking to someone and they pointed out its the thee side of Dorset, so would have been a very long collection journey! I thought it looked like a half escalator. Nice to have the JP and I quite like the handle surround - I think it's quite cool looking.

You could fill the holes before you re-spray? If you google 'Mills Diamond Front' and hit the images tab, there are quite a few with different color schemes. Some look quite good. I quite like the gloss black with silver diamonds.

Whatever you decide to do, looks like a good project!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

the 3rd reel (last one to stop) seems to come to a stop really slowly rather than the sort of sudden stop for the 1st and 2nd reels. Any suggestions?
Sounds like your saying the reel slowly rolls to a stop rather than is sluggish all the time. If this is the case, it can't be a sticky reel (although it's best to clean them anyway). It could be the star wheel brake on that reel sticking and not dropping back smoothly - gunk again, but easy to clean.
giles_gunning

Post by giles_gunning »

I have removed the brake completely on the 3rd reel and it now is coming to much more if a sharp stop. I avoided the drive by using shiply.
I will look into getting the diamonds chromed but not sure about what base colour to go for?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Fairly certain I have either seen this machine before or another one with one of these guards, not my cup of tea and would probably remove as it looks clumsy . The idea in acting as a spacer sounds plausible and guess this was some kind of after market device.

Question is are the front castings cast iron......The Diamonds look best chrome finished, but a lot are painted, usually red... Not sure what a half escalator is, but technically it is possible to convert the roll-down escalator back, but you will need new slides as they chop all the grips off to allow the coin to roll down. I assume it is on 3D, which often were change to roll down and 1D to prevent jams. Still looks in reasonable condition, if the paint is not bad, it maybe worth leaving....
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

badpenny wrote:Paul is right it's a slug box as he describes.
Confirmed as correct.
badpenny wrote:Could it be a home made spacer so the operator can have a line of bandits tightly wedged together but not blocking each others handles?
Am liking the cut of yr jib there BP as I've never seen one either, though I did wonder for a sec whether there's a front casting (missing) that coupled with the in situ one could put the handle out of bounds - for some reason??
We all know there are arcane laws regarding slots (I cannot even display mine in a locked glass cabinet), maybe this was a compromise?? I'm clutching at straws though.
Our next 7 year mystery in the making??
The Diamond Front came in a multitude of factory colours, the flashiest being the Chrome I reckon.
a.p
Oh, any more pics giles_gunning?? We love pics.
giles_gunning

Post by giles_gunning »

Photos as requested by andy
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (41.76 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (44.01 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (18.52 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.5 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
image.jpg
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Nice little find there g_g and thanks for taking the trouble of uploading the pics.
A couple of things strike me,,,, isn't it unusual for machines to have retained their jp's? I seem to recall they were outlawed and the max. win was 12d.
Also, the back door,,,,,,,, most I came across before I moved to upsidedownland had none!
:tarah:
giles_gunning

Post by giles_gunning »

Interesting info andy, I have only owned 2 bandits in the past with them both having their back door and jp... I may have got lucky
giles_gunning

Post by giles_gunning »

I've looked into getting the diamonds rechromed but if it is going to cost me the £220 I got quoted from Ashford Chroming to chrome 10 of the diamonds, I think I'll give it a miss.
Still struggling for colour combinations any ideas?
marktol

Post by marktol »

How about:-

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/888 ... DC2DB23740

Would look good with the Brass award plate.

Do a google for Mills Diamond Front and look at the images.

Mark