urbanbody

Sega Diamond 3 Star

Post by urbanbody »

Hello
I'm gonna buy a Sega slot Diamond 3 Star but parts are missing:
1 the coin entry chrome casting
2 the coins escalator
3 the rear door and the upper rear bonnet

For the two last, I think it'll be very hard to find. Maybe I'll build 'em for the moment and find 'em in the future?
For the coin entry, I've search everywhere on the web, impossible to find one!! Is there a way or not? (even rusted..)

The coin escalator is findable, but I need to get the coin entry first... If i use a coin entry and an escalator for 50 cents coins, what are the other parts I must change? (I'm new in these machine, I'm in pinball and jukebox.)
I'll post the restoration here.
treefrog

Re: SEGA diamond 3 star slot machine

Post by treefrog »

Bienvenue

Wow Reunion Island, you must be the member of the forum in the most exotic location. Picture would be good to see the condition, but the parts you are after are available, but often one's that people look for. You may struggle with a 50C one, I assume the 50c is of US size, so quite large. Do you know this is what coin it operated on.

In Britain there was Copper Star version on the old 1D (penny) which is large and similar to the 50C coin,but the escalators are difficult to get hold of. I suspect the parts for these are more common here than the US, so share what you are looking for and maybe someone can help..
urbanbody

Post by urbanbody »

Hi treefrog,
Here are the pics....
I don't know what coin it uses... The guy starts to restore it but now he's selling it.
The paint job is wrong and the chrome has been painted too... I'll need to strip the paint and re-chrome the parts.
I don't know more.
Attachments
sega1.jpg
sega.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well the Imp looks great and the paintwork on the Sega looks good in the picture, but I guess pictures can deceive. It looks like a high gloss finish.

Well the coin entry is not missing but, as you have said, the escalator is. Not sure this is 50C, as I think the hole would be bigger. I believe this, and the British old penny, is the only time the coin entry was enlarged. On all the other coin types, there is a bevel surround on the escalator which varies, depending on the coin size, to fit flush. So next task is to determine coin size, which you will need to assess by the coin tube and the coin slides at the bottom. Was this imported into Reunion or made for the coinage is the question and what value. Suspect you will be able to work this out fairly easily. If not, ask here for more pointers.

It should not be a big issue getting an escalator, either an original Sega once the coinage is confirmed, or maybe a Mills variant.

What rear part is missing - the steel door or top rear hood?

Does the mechanism work, e.g. by holding back the coin detector bar (vertical bar on left of picture) when pulling the handle? It looks complete.
urbanbody

Re: SEGA Diamond 3 Star

Post by urbanbody »

Why do you say the coin entry is not missing?
On the pics I saw, there is a chrome part that fits on the front side.
Am I right?
Diamond3startypea_01.jpg

I don't know if it works. I think not. The guy's is in the French north, not so far from United Kingdom... maybe the machine comes from the UK?

For the escalator, Mills are fitting on it (I hope). They are looking exactly the same.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes the chrome coin entry, your machine has one already....

What is missing is the coin denominator to what ever value the coin should be on the right
urbanbody

Post by urbanbody »

treefrog wrote:What rear part is missing - the steel door or top rear hood?
Both of 'em!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Back doors are easier to find or even manufacture yourself with a small hobby welder, but to get the dimensions perfect you need the bonnet.

They are hard to find and do vary from model to model, not so easy to source, good luck.

BP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Rear bonnets and back doors are available in the Uk from time to time BUT watch out for the bonnet,not all fit, there are a lot of sega clones that look very like a Sega but missing the name on the front and their bonnets do not fit true sega machines, same I think for the doors but not so much of a problem. Mills escalators should fit as well as Sega ones but Im not seeing the connection holes on the front casting can we have a better photo of the area where the esc connects to the casting please?
urbanbody

Post by urbanbody »

Thank you guys for your kind replies.
I cannot post better pix 'cause the machine is still in France and the seller will send it to me in parts (cost, customs... etc.) next week only !!RANT!!

Berkeley parts don't fit a Sega machine I've heard? The Berkeley escalator seems to be different (don't forget, I'm noob on slots, I'm on pinballs).

So, to buy a rear bonnet, I must be sure it's the same model.....
rich118

Post by rich118 »

Hi, I thought this picture might help you. This is the coin entry on my Sega Bonanza Star. You can see it's in two sections. The inside one is part of the escalator (my machine has the wrong escalator installed, but this gives you an idea). My machine uses a sixpence coin - note the very small size. The paint on your machine looks really nice in the pics.
Attachments
coin.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I must have left my car unlocked last night as it was open this morning, unless someone had discretely broken in. Well some coins had been taken out of the cash tray and various pockets were left open. I had little of value in it, they left the CDs and sunglasses and then remembered I had not removed the Mad Money Lite Up I had bought at the Elephant........mmmmmmmmm

Bugger me, the machine was still there. Cannot believe they did not look in the back. Perhaps, when they felt the weight of it, they ran. Who knows....?
urbanbody

Post by urbanbody »

treefrog wrote:Perhaps, when they felt the weight of it, they ran. Who knows....?
:HaHa:
rich118 wrote:Hi, I thought this picture might help you. This is the coin entry on my Sega Bonanza Star. You can see it's in two sections. The inside one is part of the escalator (my machine has the wrong escalator installed, but this gives you an idea). My machine uses a sixpence coin - note the very small size. The paint on your machine looks really nice in the pics.
OK, I understand now. I have to find the escalator that fits with the coin entry, so I can't order it before I get the machine.

Why do you say it has a wrong escalator?

The paint seems to be good but the lowest part of the white is wrong on the original. The SEGA logo is included in the white area, from what I've seen.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

If you use the SEARCH facility above and look for Shefras you'll find out about Sega replacement escalators :cool:
urbanbody

Post by urbanbody »

badpenny wrote:If you use the SEARCH facility above and look for Shefras, you'll find out about Sega replacement escalators :cool:
Like this one?
$T2eC16F,!wsE9suw)yL3BQpm!9W+Nw~~60_12.JPG

And the original:
photo_thumb_l_11_sega_mad_money.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Yay!!!! !!THUMBSX2!!
urbanbody

Post by urbanbody »

badpenny wrote:Yay!!!! !!THUMBSX2!!
As you say, but.....

the original is not easy to find!! Impossible? !!GRUMP!!

The escalators in the Berkeley are really different, too. :#:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

No.

I think it was Treefrog said earlier on this week on another thread that there were Sega/Mills escalators at last week's Auction.

We invariably get around half a dozen of them at the Coventry Auction every year.

They're usually on tanners.
Keep your eye on eBay - whenever we have a thread on here commenting that someone wants to buy a particular bit, amazingly, one appears on ebay within days (at a seller's price of course). Reference the recent thread about slug rejectors and today's auction on eBay.

BP
urbanbody

Post by urbanbody »

Still looking for..... on ebay or elsewhere! :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

So, to buy a rear bonnet, I must be sure it's the same model...
Not the same model, but it must be Sega.

Escalators are available from Dave at mrslot in the USA for $135 + postage.