Repairing diecast, aluminium, pot metal and cast iron

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
youngerap

Re: Repairing diecast, aluminium, pot metal and cast iron

Post by youngerap »

This has just popped up on my Facebook:

https://www.antasie.co.uk/products/solu ... 0943784020

Claims it can be used to repair pot metal...
stoxman22

Post by stoxman22 »

I have some of this stuff on the way. I will give it a try on some old Beromat bits....
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I am sure these low temperature welding rods have been discussed before on here....I have tried similar products mixed success
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Without going into great detail, I doubt it.
Normally this stuff works by heating up the piece and then drawing the stick across it to melt it onto/into the work piece.
Applying heat direct to the rod merely melts it into globules which then sit on top of the work. Then due to the difference in heat it contracts and falls off.
Applying heat direct to Mazak is fraught with excitement and I fully expect it to have a similar if not lower melting point than these brazing rods.
Anything is possible of course within the laws of physics, and I'm sure reconstituting Monkey Metal is one of them.
However I suspect the resources of NASA and access to the contacts book of an Emeritus Professor in Metallurgy is the ticket to successfully and repeatedly achieving it.
I of course would sell any of your Grandmothers to find the secret.
So here's hoping.

BP
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Not sure why I bother posting BP when nobody reads..... :!?!: Example of pot metal welding repairs
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

What ho! Young man, how are you keeping?

In the twelvety years I've been on this forum, I've probably only written a dozen different posts and just repeated the same old dross (most would confirm that) every few months.
I think the true value in this forum is that newcomers to the hobby stumbling across the same train of problems are able to find advice and solutions from those who have stumbled this way before.
You alone have contributed over 700 into questions & answers. So thanks for that.
My frustration is that the search facility here is as satisfying as one of those allwins with a pin nailed over every cup and either side of the flag above the lose hole. It seems you do a lot of work preparing the search only to watch it bounce around and show you nothing. I suppose it explains why so many start a new thread rather than dig out an existing one.
But good stuff is worth repeating!

I do recall asking you a question a few years ago, which I guess you're still thinking about. I commented that I have a cousin living in Perth Australia (name of Bill Smith) I enquired if you knew him? I've always imagined you were waiting until you've met everybody before answering.

!THUMBS!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

badpenny wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:13 pm My frustration is that the search facility here is as satisfying as one of those allwins with a pin nailed over every cup and either side of the flag above the lose hole. It seems you do a lot of work preparing the search only to watch it bounce around and show you nothing. I suppose it explains why so many start a new thread rather than dig out an existing one.
Oops! Now you've offended the PennyMachine Robot. !!SHIT!!
She says no search was required, as it was in the topic.
Usually I think it's the ever diminishing 'search facility' between our ears that lets us down, plus a tendency to post first and search later, or not at all. The Forum Site Search provides fine-grained filtering of results and seems fairly efficient to me. Give an example of a search which doesn't return the results it should and I'll see if it can be improved.

I added a link today to moonriver's reply to arrgee about the giant Gemini bandit. A Google search for 'Gemini one arm bandit' was unsuccessful, but 'Gemini' was enough to find it with the site search. Of course, once you realize you should look for 'Gemini's big ben', Google comes up trumps.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I know a lot of effort goes into trying to move useful info into similar threads or categories, but often the biggest issue when searching is knowing what has been written before for the search criteria as many times something you want to know could be written in different way, spelling or terms used.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Here I was thinking I had greatest posts, the best posts, very very beautiful posts, in fact even the post office officials thought my posts were the biggliest and mostliest they'd ever seen....... !OMFG!