Using 2 eurocent coin on 3d, 6d slot

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
fantaz

Using 2 eurocent coin on 3d, 6d slot

Post by fantaz »

On my Sega Continental Mark 20 I use 2 euro cent coin, it works fine but the prizes amount is lower than expected.
I have no idea if the slot was previously mod to work with this coins or this coins are similar to the original penny.
When I win it pays 4 coins instead of 5, 8 instead of 10, only 2 coins are paid correctly.
I think it is due to a different thickness of the coins.
On the slot says 3d one game 6d three games.
Someone can tell me the size difference between the 3d coin and the 2 euro cent coin?
Best regards,
Fantaz.
youngerap

Re: Using 2 eurocent coin on 3,6d slot

Post by youngerap »

!!THUMBSX2!!

Also, the thruppenny bit looks to be approximately 0.5mm thicker than the euro coin.
Attachments
DSCF2510.JPG
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Youngerap, I believe he's using 2 Cent euro coins, while you measured a 2 dollar euro coin.
Attachments
3165euro_coins.jpg
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

Got a drawer full of funny money like this and never even knew such coins existed. Thank you Mr Gameswat. One learns something new every day..... !SMARTY!

Hope these new pics help....
Attachments
Side by side.jpg
Coins - thickness.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The 3d coin always was a oddity, thick, heavy (for its size) an odd colour and, of course, an odd shape. Strangely it replaced a silver coin much like a small 6d coin. Machines that used 3d coins but will run on other, newer, coins will always pay out incorrect amounts because the 3d was so very thick. When I first worked in an arcade all our pinballs ran on 3d but none of the slots.
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

I find my 3d vending machines run quite nicely on a pound coin.
fantaz

Post by fantaz »

youngerap wrote:Got a drawer full of funny money like this and never even knew such coins existed. Thank you Mr Gameswat. One learns something new every day..... !SMARTY!

Hope these new pics help....
I see the 3d coin is a bit thicker than the 2 euro cent. This may be the reason of the wrong prize amount. I see also the diameter is bigger.
Do you have also a 6d coin in your drawer?
With a 6d coin you should play two times, but I don't understand how the slot can make you have two plays.
Fantaz.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

ilovemyjukebox wrote:I find my 3d vending machines run quite nicely on a pound coin.
Well that's logical, since a pound coin buys about as much as 3d did fifty years ago.

I think we've all misunderstood Mr Fantaz. On looking again I think he said his machine takes sixpence for two games, hence 3d a game, not a 3d bit. What we need is a comparison between a 2c Euro and a sixpence. My guess is the E.02 is thicker which is why he gets 4 instead of 5 sixpences.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Operator Bell wrote:I think we've all misunderstood Mr Fantaz. On looking again I think he said his machine takes sixpence for two games, hence 3d a game, not a 3d bit.
fantaz wrote:On the slot says 3d one game 6d three games.
Someone can tell me the size difference between the 3d coin and the 2 euro cent coin?
We can only work with what people tell us, but he did say it says one game for 3d and 3 for 6d. So the machine has to take some kind of 3d piece? Maybe messed with??
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Just spotted this photo of this actual machine in the Gallery and he was well off, as OP spotted, 2 games for 6d and one for a 3D token. Fantaz needs to learn how to read! Or maybe write?

I don't know much about these modern slots, but maybe the token has a hole so the machine knows the difference and allows one pull and sends them to the cashbox? And has some way of playing two pulls for 6D coin.
Attachments
Sega-Continental-Mark-20.jpg
Sega-Continental-Mark-20.jpg (12.14 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Would be interesting to see the escalator. Two coin pulls were available on Shefra type escalators and of course many other brands like Aristocrat.The 6D and 3D coin is similar diameter and about twice the depth. In fact 3D escalators are often spaced to create the depth......How it determines the two coins and to pass through the 3D would be interesting to see.....
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

I see it now. It's not a 3d coin we need to consider, it's a 3d token. Sixpence played two games; all sixpences went to the cash box. Token played one game; tokens went to the tube. All payouts were in tokens, so payouts larger than 2 (2 sixpences) were legal. Since the E.02 makes it to the tube the machine must read it as a token, and the detection must not be that the token has a hole, so it must be by size or thickness. Now we can deduce that a token was 20% thinner than an E.02.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

To be fair GS, I think Fantaz might be a European member of our forum hence his grasp of English, his use of Euros and his lack of understanding of old UK coinage.

Normally this type of machine would have a coin accepter that took 6d on a double drop to two separate pins, thus two pulls for 6d (one per pin) plus a token accepter taking tokens with a hole in the middle allowing one pull for one 3d token. On the Sega this would be via the escalator.
fantaz

Post by fantaz »

coppinpr wrote:To be fair GS, I think Fantaz might be a European member of our forum hence his grasp of English, his use of Euros and his lack of understanding of old UK coinage.
Yes I am European (Italian) and yes I don't know UK coinage. So I wondered how the escalator you can see in this photo can deal with two different kind on coins. I don't understand what "tokens with a hole in the middle" means. Does 6p have a hole in the middle?
Sega Continental Mark 20 - open.jpg

Youngerap sent a picture of 3d compared to 2 euro cent, someone can send a picture of 6d so I can try to figure out how the escalator can run this coin?
By the way what "d" (d3,d6) stands for?
Fantaz.
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

fantaz wrote:By the way what "d" (d3,d6) stands for?
The "d" comes from your ancestors, the Romans, it is from the Latin "denari". Our currency was £.s.d. or Pounds, Shillings and Pence but the "s" doesn't come from "shillings" (like the Austrian schilling) but from the Latin "solidi", the "£" is from the Latin Libra and the "£" symbol is also an old Latin way of writing the letter "L". The Romans came to Britain for an extended holiday from the year 43 to around 410 to enjoy our fine cuisine and warm weather climate.

Here is an example of a token with a hole in it:
images.jpg
images.jpg (9.9 KiB) Viewed 2469 times

Ciao
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

I did not know that!

Fantaz, the 6d coin is almost identical in diameter to the 2c coin, but the 2c looks to be slightly thicker.
fantaz

Post by fantaz »

Thank you very much for all the explanation.
An Italian word for money is denaro, so the "d" come from the Romans.
The question on the slot is still opened: when I put a 2c the slot act like I put a 3d (one game) but if 2c is identical to 6d it should give me three games.
OK forget it, anyway it works.
Now I am working on another slot I bought from a junkyard: a Deutsche Rotamint Super.
It is not in good shape I am trying to restore it.
Shortly I will put some images in the gallery.
I am looking for wiring diagrams, but I am not familiar with German language so I cannot read some original Deutsche sites.
Fantaz
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Jonesthegarage ....... do you know where my latest junior hacksaw is?

Regards BP
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

coppinpr wrote:To be fair GS I think Fantaz might be a European member of our forum hence his grasp of English, his use of Euros and his lack of understanding of old UK coinage.
Oops, you're right CPR, I forgot to add a face :burp:
Sorry fantaz - was early in the morning here and end of a long day............ :roll:
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

badpenny wrote:Jonesthegarage ....... do you know where my latest junior hacksaw is?
Yes, I do, it's exactly where you left it! C'mon, you knew that already.