General vintage slot machine related topics.
pennymachines
Site Admin

3D printing machine parts

Postby pennymachines » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:59 pm

3D scanning and printing of machine parts - the future of slot machine restoration?
Let's see, where did I put those Bryan's Bumper blueprints?

slotalot

Re: 3D printing machine parts

Postby slotalot » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:01 pm

That’s a belting bit of kit and no mistake. !!THUMBSX2!!
But I still like the idea of spending lots of time locked in my workshop, accidentally hitting my thumb with a hammer and hoping I haven’t drilled that hole in the wrong place or filed too much off that lever... again. But then :!?!: I expect that’s why I’m not a rich man... just a happy one.. :cool:
CoolClips_wb024579.gif
CoolClips_wb024579.gif (8.35 KiB) Viewed 3920 times

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:10 pm

Ok guys, stop dropping hints I'll go and look behind my compost bin this afternoon and see what I can find.

The Grabber

Postby The Grabber » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Has anyone tried to use this system to make parts?

operator bell

Postby operator bell » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:50 am

Not the scanner, but the solid printers, frequently. When you're designing plastic parts - or any parts for that matter - that need moulding or casting, before you shell out thousands for an expensive mould tool you run some solid models first to make sure everything is right. The machines can work straight from a CAD drawing that you make on your computer.

They've improved vastly in the ten years or so I've been using them. Initially the models were weak and had a nasty rough surface, but now they can use different sorts of plastic, even transparent, the surface finish is excellent, and they can be as strong as the finished product. I'm having some done at the moment that will be chromed. It's an expensive way to do things, but cheaper than having them milled out of solid.

About 5 years ago the first "solid printers" came out, about the size of a big photocopier, designed for companies like mine to own one. The price then was about $25,000, but now you have a choice of models and it's fallen to half that. There's even a DIY home kit version now for under $1000. The only thing you can't do at present is have things made out of metal, though I believe it's close.

Here's a sample piece I got from Protogenics, one of the places I get things done. It's about 2 inches high. You can't see the details clearly but it has a spiral staircase running round the walls inside, and an unsupported double helix up the middle. It would be impossible to make this in one piece any other way.
rook_s.JPG

The Grabber

Postby The Grabber » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:57 am

I'm glad I asked - that castle is a great model!

lukewells

Postby lukewells » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:54 pm

If you are interested in these 3D printers, do a search in google for "RepRap"

This is an open source DIY 3d printer that is very cheap to make. I am very interested in these and intend to make one myself at some point when I have more free time.

The concept it to build a 3d printer that can build the parts to replicate itself. They are a long way away from fully achieving this, however with each generation they are able to produce even more parts (including recently simple circuit boards)

Thanks

Luke

yaksplat

3D printing

Postby yaksplat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:16 pm

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Has anyone tried using a 3d printer to make parts for a machine that they're building or restoring? I just hopped into a kickstarter for a small 3D printer for only $199USD. I know there's potential to draw up a part and then print out the part to try it and then later either chrome the printed model, or make a mold from the model and cast a new part out of metal.

I can think of plenty of parts that would be difficult to machine, coin slots, payout cups, custom knobs.... A 3d printer may make this process very simple.

Here's the Kickstarter for anyone interested.

It may be a great way to share knowledge among the community, having parts drawn up and ready to download for printing.

gameswat

Re: 3D printing

Postby gameswat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:38 pm

This does look good for the price. And guess you could print small pieces of bigger jobs and glue together. Hopefully won't be too long until these are selling cheap as colour copiers. This and a 3d scanner and you're set. I do have a 3d printer, my hands. :cry:

yaksplat

Re: 3D printing

Postby yaksplat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:08 pm

I forgot about the 3d scanners.

If there was someone that had access to a 3d scanner and was willing, there would be some amazing results. Recreating a lot of these machines would become much easier. Plenty of these machines are quite difficult to come by in the states, much less within driving distance.