Coin operated fortune teller on ebay

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Coin operated fortune teller on ebay

Post by pennymachines »

Quod Erat Demonstrandum! :lol:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'd forgotten the doll in a box thing after the first time I saw it.

I thought OP was referring to the one in the photo I posted, then being a git I was content to watch it quietly especially if everyone was convincing themselves it was a crude home built piece of tat.

Mind you I'd like to know if the picture of the Gypsy is a photocopy.

Bad Badpenny :tut
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

It is interesting to note if you scroll down the listing the two 'messages' asking " will you accept 550 pounds now?" and the other reply, "several antique dealers have looked at this and cant understand why its started so low".
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

badpenny wrote:Mind you I'd like to know if the picture of the Gypsy is a photocopy.

Bad Badpenny :tut

Should it not be a picture printed onto a mirror?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

bryans fan wrote:Should it not be a picture printed onto a mirror?
Would that have been Silk Screen printed or Etched ..... either of which would be more acceptable than a photocopy.
moonriver wrote:It is interesting to note if you scroll down the listing the two 'messages' asking " will you accept 550 pounds now?" and the other reply " several antique dealers have looked at this and cant understand why its started so low"
Antique Dealers are famous for walking away from bargains muttering "that's far too cheap" and "I'm not buying that unless he doubles the price at least!"
In fact it's not just them, I've noticed this with most self employed people trying to make a living buying and selling. I was once given a right earful by a used car salesman because I had the audacity to offer him exactly what he was asking for a Vauxhall Astra with cloth seats. He considered my methods an insult and insisted that unless I offer £200 less he'd bar me.

BP
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I prophesize weeping and gnashing of teeth on Thursday if someone pays £300 or more for this.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I love it! :lol:

It would certainly be ace if the first card out said that.

BP
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've seen the first card - it read, "Thursday brings great glee, riches and a touch of remorse".
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

!!YABBADABBA!!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Am I right in thinking the seller also makes replica machines and runs the vintage website vintagearcades.co.uk? .......... or is that just a coincidence !PUZZLED!
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

Yes, I noticed the past tense of what this particular fortune teller would reveal, but it did remind me of the old chestnut of the Fortune Tellers Booth on Blackpool Prom with a sign on the door saying "closed due to unforeseen circumstances".
moonriver wrote:Am I right in thinking the seller also makes replica machines and runs the vintage website vintagearcades.co.uk? .......... or is that just a coincidence !PUZZLED!
It wouldn't be that much of a coincidence as the seller is in Deal, Kent, and lo and behold a cursory glance at said website reveals a location of Deal, Kent. mmmm? Deal or No Deal?
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Like I said earlier, the machine was on the vintagearcades website just before going on ebay
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Amazingly no negative ebay feedback yet for the seller. Maybe the buyer doesn't realise they got stitched up!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Or they are too embarrassed to go public ..... or ... it was only a shilling. ;-)
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

It went for 310 pounds, which is enough for a pile of tat.
panda999

fortune teller

Post by panda999 »

Post merged - Site Admin.

The fortune teller in the lower picture was bought at a boot fair three years ago near Rye in East Sussex. Apparently the buyer, a lady from Deal, asked the people who run the Vintage Arcade site (also in Deal) if it could be advertised on their 'other machines' section. This was on for not much longer than a day or two, as the owner of the machine would not pay to advertise it, so it was withdrawn.
I myself have visited the workshop and found the workmanship excellent and could never see the owner making a rough cabinet like that. In fact, the working models are very good and made in cabinets in any finish you like. It was for the people who run the firm definitely a case of NO Deal!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

:lol:
djjfive

Post by djjfive »

Hello,
I’m new to this website and have really only just started building a vintage arcade collection. I’m a little concerenend that the second picture posted on this thread is a machine I bought! (The one with the faded ‘H’ on the word ‘has’) I’m by no means an expert on these type of things but I certainly believe this to have significant age unlike the 3rd picture of the obvious fake. I was hoping someone could put my mind at rest that this is not also being considered as a possible fake? I have included pictures and I would be very surprised if this was a fake but as a newbie, I’m unaware how likely or often fakes of this type appear or the lengths someone would go to to make them appear genuine..
I do think over the years this machine has possibly been fettled up a little but it seems genuine to my admittedly untrained eye.
I have looked up the manufactures which is Argile Automatic Coy and they did make a few fortune machines and this one is ‘Mother Shipton’.
I think either way, I am happy I bought it as it is very unusual but I’m just hoping someone can tell me it’s not a fake? Please let me know what you think...many thanks.
Attachments
A7BDF0E4-DE66-4934-9150-35E090A14B0Ca.jpg
C2B4BB82-A037-4BE4-B1B0-675AB2BFC7D3a.jpg
74869435-AEBC-4ABF-8A7C-AF2218A126AAa.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Putting the original photo next to yours strikes me it's the exact same machine.
Clicking on image enlarges it ……

meurice-fortune2.jpg

Even at 2.00 am my fuddled brain doesn't think we were challenging the authenticity of that one, it was the other we were disappointed with.
I appreciate it was four years ago and we've all aged a lot more than that since 2014, but that's how I remember it.

BP !?!
Is it alright if I go up to bed now?
djjfive

Post by djjfive »

Thank you for your reply..
I do believe it is the very same machine and have to say that is a relief...I picked up a bandit yesterday and the seller was telling me about a fake version doing the rounds and I was in a bit of a panic that it could be mine...
On another note, if anyone knows where one could get the fortune cards this originally dispensed I’d love to restock it. Many thanks:-)