Uneda Pin Tables - De Luxe & Miniature

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
amorphous14

Uneda Pin Tables - De Luxe & Miniature

Post by amorphous14 »

Hi,

I am new to the forum so hi all. I have just come into possession of a 'Uneda' Pin Table Deluxe. It has seen better days so I am wondering if there is someone who could professionally restore it or if I could to it (I am quite handy at this sort of thing) or any other suggestions would be welcome.
Attachments
IMG_0042a.jpg
coppinpr

Re: restoration

Post by coppinpr »

Hi, and welcome to the best slot forum on the net, by far.
Nice machine, I wish it was mine. It's exactly the sort of project I like. Couple of questions: Is it complete? Does it work? Where are you situated?
As long as the answer to question one is yes then I don't see why you can't do this yourself. The playfield looks in very good condition for its age and that's the main thing. If, as you say, you're quite handy at this sort of thing and now that your part of this forum you should have no problem. The expertise on this forum is vast. Every time you're, not sure what to do just ask - someone WILL answer. Keep us updated on all stages of the project and post lots of photos. We love photos. !!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi and welcome .......

I tend to agree, if it's all complete, probably a good rub down and a sympathetic touch up (ooh.. err Missus :woops: ) would do.

Personally I'm quite happy to let a machine display its age and life experiences so long as it doesn't interfere with play.

BP
amorphous14

Post by amorphous14 »

Hi again,

So it doesn't work at present, I am pretty sure all the pieces are there (I even have the original balls), but I thought it best to see what more experienced people say. Like you mentioned, I could do all the rubbing down and touching up but I will have to look at the internals and see if it's anything I can manage.

Any tips much appreciated.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'd start with the coin mechanism.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Advice will come thick and fast when you need it - just remember, photo everything and post them, then it's easy (usually :!?!: ).
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Uneda Pin Table Deluxe restoration

Post by pennymachines »

Hi amorphous14 and welcome.
That's quite an unusual early pintable you have, not least because it's not American but British-made. It's clearly the full size version of the more commonly seen Uneda Miniature Pin Table (below). I think you'll find the mechanism robust and simple, so it shouldn't be too challenging - probably just a thorough clean and a bit of lubrication required. It is important, of course, to preserve the original playfield graphics, which look to be in good order - again probably just a light clean and wax to protect. The cabinet will clearly benefit from refinishing with suitably period materials (possibly brushed shellac, rubbed down with wax to finish) and the metal fittings should shine up nicely with a bit of a clean and polish. Keep us informed.
Attachments
104.jpg
41.jpg
zat_ca

Re: Uneda Miniature Pin Table

Post by zat_ca »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi,
I have a Uneda Miniature Pin Table which has been in the family since it was purchased new in the mid 1930s. It is mint condition. Any ideas on how much it is worth?
Everything is is good working order and the balls are all present (9 silver, and 1 bronze). It works with or without pennies. Endless fun when I was a kid. Always comes out for use at Xmas.

Regards,
Zac
Attachments
Unneda Miniture Pin Table (1930's).JPG
arrgee

Re: Uneda Miniature Pin Table, mid 1930s

Post by arrgee »

Welcome to the site Zac, I am sure someone will be along in a thrice, you will find no better information in the universe than this forum.
Could not help but zoom in on your pic, I assume you are from this universe?
Attachments
alien.jpg
alien.jpg (35.78 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Uneda Pin Tables - Miniature & Deluxe

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Zac and welcome.
I've appended your post to an earlier thread about the bigger brother of your pintable.
One like yours sold last year for £100 which I would say is "about right".
An example at Wooton Auction Rooms in January was marked "Automatic Machine Co. Limited, Hong Kong Works. Wembley". This major distributor and manufacturer (from the 1930s to '50s) are more often referred to as The Amusement Equipment Company Ltd. or AMECO.
wembleylion

Re: Uneda Pin Tables - Miniature & Deluxe

Post by wembleylion »

pennymachines wrote:An example at Wooton Auction Rooms in January was marked "Automatic Machine Co. Limited, Hong Kong Works. Wembley". This major distributor and manufacturer (from the 1930s to '50s) are more often referred to as The Amusement Equipment Company Ltd. or AMECO.
‘Hong Kong Works’ may seem a little strange but the factory was in or on the site of the Hong Kong pavilion built for the British Empire Exhibition of 1924/25. Some buildings were pulled down immediately after the exhibition finished while others lasted longer. The last remaining building from this great exhibition, The Palace of Engineering, is soon to be demolished.

This could just be a coincidence but The Amusement Equipment Company Ltd may be still be alive and kicking.
This abridged from the National Piers and the South Wales Evening Post websites.
In 1937 a Mr Stanley Bollom acquired the lease, later to purchase the freehold in 1957, on Mumbles Pier, Swansea along with the Pier Hotel and the famous penny slot attractions. In December 2010, Stanley, passed away and today John Bollom, presumably the son, still owns the pier and is hoping to refurbish it and build a hotel / shops / housing complex on land adjacent to the landward end but after initially receiving conformation of a grant it appears that AMECO is now, July 2015, in the midst of a planning / funding wrangle with Swansea Council and the Welsh Government.
For further details; http://www.piers.org.uk/pierpages/NPSmumbles.html

John
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Uneda Pin Tables - De Luxe & Miniature

Post by pennymachines »

Ah, so that's why it was the 'Hong Kong' Works!

Arcades & Slot Machines doesn't include an entry for The Amusement Equipment Co. It tells us that the Automatic Machine Co. traded from 1928 and was bought out by Associated Automatic Machines Corp. Ltd. By 1933, Mr Booth was proprietor. (A firm by the same name traded from Town Hall Square, Leeds.)

Two catalogues exist, one from the early period, featuring mostly British machines manufactured in the early 1930s and a post-war AMECO catalogue, exclusively devoted to reconditioned German wall bandits.

A little research reveals you're correct - the company still trades. According to Intergame, Mr. Stanley Cecil Bollom (or Stan Bollom, as he was known) died December 12, 2010: Stan Bollom dies at 92.
He was himself a founder member of the old BAMOS, the trade association that was eventually to become today’s BACTA. He was also a former chairman of BALPPA, the organisation for theme parks and piers...

Bollom was a very respected industry leader who spent a lifetime in the family business, Ameco (Amusement Equipment Company), which was – and remains – a significant operator of machines and leisure locations, including piers. Ameco was also a manufacturer of machines from the 1930s through to the early 1980s. He was first to manufacture the famous Skeeball game under licence. For some years it was the sole distributor of the Brenco range of AWP machines.

He was actually a trainee solicitor before joining the army during the war. He was a prisoner of war for most of that time. Upon returning to the UK he applied for a job with AEC, which he thought was an engineering company but it was the Amusement Equipment Company. He worked his way up to director and bought the company from the original directors.