Mills Hi top 4 reel

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
Christo

Mills Hi top 4 reel

Post by Christo »

I've had this Mills Hi top for about 35 years and have now decided to renovate it. The thing is all the information I can find refers to Mills 777 three reels, in fact I've never seen a four reel 7777 in any of the photos or articles I've seen on the Net.Is this an uncommon machine?
Also as it has an illuminated menu that is in pretty scratched condition, does anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Any help would be appreciated

Chris
Attachments
open-case-full.jpg
open-case-empty.jpg
front-of-machine.jpg
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Nobody replied to you yet?

That is a very rare machine, mate. Jennings made the first 4-reeler mechanical (the Buckaroo) in 1955, and it was such a success that Mills and Pace copied it a year later. The 4th reel made the long odds 160,000:1 allowing much bigger jackpots, typically 2000 coins or more. Aristocrat made a 4-reel version of the Arcadian, but not until 10 years later.

I wouldn't like to guess how much this is worth. The model only ran for 5 years and not many were made - a few hundred, maybe. There was a limited market and it didn't sell as well as the Jennings and Pace. Jennings Buckaroos come up on Ebay occasionally and I've seen a Pace, but not one of these. Does it have a serial number? May be engraved on the base plate. It needs a bit of work - pity about the horrible crude paint job! Many standard Hi-Top parts should fit.

Here's a picture of one with a flashy chrome case. For good measure, I attach photos of the Jennings and Pace machines. All pics from Marshall Fey's book.
Attachments
Pict0217.jpg
Pict0217.jpg (87.28 KiB) Viewed 5487 times
Pict0216.jpg
Pict0216.jpg (93.35 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
Pict0219.jpg
Pict0219.jpg (92.46 KiB) Viewed 5487 times
bill

Post by bill »

Hi
Enclosed a picture of Mills 4 reeler I have.
Attachments
12130035.jpg
12130035.jpg (58.64 KiB) Viewed 5457 times
slots

Re: Mills Hi top 4 reel

Post by slots »

Hi,
I restored a few of them. (See picture)
Never heve seen an illuminated award-card.

Best regards,
Jo van Dongen
Tilburg, Holland.
http://members.home.nl/slots
Attachments
4-Reel.jpg
malcymal

Re: Mills Hi top 4 reel

Post by malcymal »

What a stunning machine! Bit surprised at the payouts though, for such high odds and a 25c stake, $15.00 seems a bit mean!
Beautiful though, good job. :D