Rotolite Help Needed

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
gameswat

Re: Rotolite Help Needed

Post by gameswat »

I wasted huge amounts of time on a Race Track (Derby Day) machine for many of these same reasons. Working on most E/M's is easy because they were built in a proper factory on a production line and so all very much the same. Usually quite easy to spot where a wire has fallen off etc. But these bastards were cobbled together out of whatever second-hand relays they could get their hands on and tend to be all over the place. I'm sure they did make small runs that were the same but good luck finding a matching machine. In one way good though since parts are pretty stock items, like the motor that was frazzled in my Race Track. I went to the small motor spares box in my garage and within 30 seconds had found the identical Bakelite bodied Smiths clock motor they'd used in the machine!! And I have no idea where it came from as that motor was already in the spares at my fathers factory when I started working there as a kid in the late '70s.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

widget2k4 wrote:
Dark brown from other side of coin switch
OK, thats a better photo.
try this... remove the red wire (A) from the terminal on relay No6 coil and solder it to the 2 red wires on the terminal just above that, then solder the dark brown wire to the terminal that you removed the red wire from on relay No6. !SOFA!

also where does the red wire from the terminal block go to on the door ???
Attachments
1481299913674-184486192a.jpg
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

The red wire from the terminal goes to the start switch on the door
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

nothing stu :dammit:
maybe because the wires from the start button go nowhere ?
dirk55

Post by dirk55 »

Hope these pictures help mate.
If you need anymore let me know, I'm in the North West near to Manchester, if you want to come & have a look at mine.
You can even take it away with you so that you can have something to work against
Attachments
Rotolite Pic 5.jpg
Rotolite Pic 4.jpg
Rotolite Pic 3.jpg
Rotolite Pic 2.jpg
Rotolite Pic  1.jpg
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

widget2k4 wrote:nothing stu :dammit:
maybe because the wires from the start button go nowhere ?
We don't need to worry about the start button until we can get relay No6 to work from the coin switch.

Just out of interest??? with the machine powered up (and please be carefull) what if anything happens if you depress the anvil on the top of relay No6 so the 3 sets of contacts on that relay close? Does the left hand uniselector move 1 position ??
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Nothing at all stu. I've pressed all of them and the only one that does anything is number 3 which makes the coin payout work.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Yep this is just what relay No 3 is for. Be carefull with relay No3, it has mains voltage on the switch contacts. :zapa:

I think we need to go back to basics and check the output of the rectifier, it could be that the machine has lost its DC voltage for the coils ??
The rectifier is the part with the metal plates next to the transformer. I should have asked you to check this at the start :oops:
Do you have a test meter ?? You should be getting about 24volts DC.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Thanks for the pictures mate I will save them and have a good look at them, I'm in North East so a bit too far to come and look but thank you for the offer,

I've had a multimeter on and there doesn't seem to be any juice coming out the transformer anywhere?

Nothing to the fuse neither
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

You must have 12volts AC from the transformer as the playfield lights are on in one of your photos?
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

That's what I thought as well but the multimeter is showing zero. Also there was a white wire jumped from somewhere to one of the bulb holders and when I disconnected that the 2 bulbs went off.
dirk55

Post by dirk55 »

Hi
More pics from me.
Attachments
Rotolite Pic 14.jpg
Rotolite Pic 13.jpg
Rotolite Pic 12.jpg
Rotolite Pic 11.jpg
Rotolite Pic 10.jpg
Rotolite Pic 9.jpg
Rotolite Pic 8.jpg
Rotolite Pic 7.jpg
Rotolite Pic 6.jpg
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

thanks mate.
can you trace your purple wire for me please ?
i see its going from the start switch to the coin switch but where does it go from there ?
that may be a solution for one of my stray wires :)

stu
what wires do i need to put the multimeter to ? maybe thats where im going wrong mate, dont see like a live and neutral like on a car or bike lol
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

See attached photo.
Set your meter to AC setting, test between A & B, and then test between A & C. You should get about 12 volts on one pair, and about 25 volts on the other pair if the transformer is working.
Attachments
20161208_141205a.jpg
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

thanks stu !THUMBS!

will give it a test tomorrow
dirk55

Post by dirk55 »

Yes i will do mate. It will be later when I get home from work
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Stu I'm not getting 24v mate, between the 2 wires that are connected is 13.5v and the one that's not connected is 6v
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

widget2k4 wrote:Stu I'm not getting 24v mate, between the 2 wires that are connected is 13.5v and the one that's not connected is 6v
BUGGER :dammit:
This is the problem with these Jamieson machines, as Gameswat said earlyer they were made up from redundant GPO equipment and whatever they could get hold of at the time, they are not all the same :!?!:
It is possible that your machine has 12volt DC relays & 6volt lamps ????? can you remove one of the low voltage lamps from the door and see if the voltage is marked on it -/00\-
Also look at the coils on relays 1 to 6 & the uniselectors to see if they are marked as to there resistence in ohm's

I am not going to be around much this afternoon, so may take some time for my reply. :D
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Bulbs are 12v mate
Bell is 12v
Coil says 200 ohms

I took coil number 6 out earlier and tried it on a 6v battery and it was working, the voltage on the connections all seem to be around 30v ac for some reason?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

widget2k4 wrote:Bulbs are 12v mate
Bell is 12v
Coil says 200 ohms

I took coil number 6 out earlier and tried it on a 6v battery and it was working, the voltage on the connections all seem to be around 30v ac for some reason?
with the coils at 200 ohms they will run on lower voltage.
what do you mean when you say "the voltage on the connections all seem to be around 30v ac" which connections are you talking about ?? !PUZZLED!

also can you get me a better photo of the rectifier showing all the wire connections ??
Last edited by slotalot on Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.