EH / Collector Connector sales

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
treefrog

Re: EH / Collector Connector sales

Post by treefrog »

Funny this thread in now 134 pages longs, the longest thread on the forum, so must have been popular for a reason :HaHa:

Over the years there are those that have had good, bad and varied experiences and suspect it is difficult to dismiss anyones experiences or views over time. Steve operates on his own, especially now and is exceptionally helpful, but I know he may get busy, or miss things. On the message facility on the Colcon site, he normally responds within 24 hours to any questions on there…….

In some ways it is a shame the membership system with free sales did not work well enough to get people on boarded as conceptually it grew on me, except blind bidding. I sold I think 15 machines, some did well some less so. Also bought lots of things. Alternative now will be higher commissions, which normal auctions bring….

The collector meets are good as well and don’t get those who dismiss them, perhaps they like to play on their machines on their own…… ;-)
watlingman

Post by watlingman »

Steve's a good sort just takes on a bit too much,for all those moaning about selling formats and membership fees and winging in general as I said before you can always advertise your machines for sale on here for very little I will wait for the stampede! !!ESCAPE!!
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Looks like the auction will be going ‘live’ on 29th May. Machines are trickling in daily so I suspect this will be a pretty big auction. Like many, I’d prefer the old style auctions but times are a changing.

In relation to selling in the sales/wants add, fixed price formats don’t seem so popular as auctions as I’m guessing owners want to achieve the best realistic price/s for their machines. !PUZZLED!
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Why are times changing?.. Its only down to confidence in the future of another lockdown. Surely that's over now...... Old style auctions for me...
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I tend to agree with you there jimmy.
Of course it's not simply a case of "Further lockdowns unlikely. So let's just get on with it".
The support industries like venues, table hire, catering etc have changed as well.

Yet the big word is as you say "Confidence".
You clearly have it in abundance, plus: -
You're Central England
You've got a farm with barns (?)
The Bat Cave
Parking
You're a seasoned auction attender so know what happens.

Choose a sensible date, work the timescale backwards and go public!!!
I'll look after Jayne for you.

BP :cool:
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Here! here!
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Jayne here, what a fabulous idea.

I'll get Jimmy to go in partnership with you, he can provide the barn and parking, you can sort out the auction etc 😂 😂 😂

I'll bake some cakes ❤️❤️
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

OK Jayne ...
I really see you as the brains of the outfit.
As such you and I need to have a weekend conference away somewhere cough-cough !VICTORY! merely to plan strategy you understand!
Jimmy needn't attend if all he's going to do is open the barn doors and put up a sign ...
share-funny-grammar-and-spelling-mistakes.jpg

BP :o)
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

We all know my weekends away involve Jimmy by my side, but we're always happy to see you darling xx
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Got you!
You're talking in code .... fully understood!
jingle

Post by jingle »

Just reading an email found in my junk
About the elephant auctions on line
It says 23% fees !!YIPPEE!!
So the 5 percent for putting machines in is a thing of the past I guess 🙄
So if you have a machine that is say worth a grand
And the seller knows it’s worth a grand
And so does the buyer
So he only bids 750 coz the fees take him nr the grand
To buy
The seller pays fees on the 750
Which takes is cut to 550 to 600 for a 1000 pound machine
😲😲 why are people doing this ???
It makes me shiver
ab88

Post by ab88 »

Thats how auctions work.... It doesn't always seem to affect prices.

Find somewhere else to sell the stuff. Naff all gets offered on here, ditto Facebook and Ebay has the odd gem but is mainly full of shite.

There is a reason auctions work, it brings large numbers of buyers together with the promise of plenty of lots.

Colcon was a great idea but clearly not financially viable in the longer run for the bigger stuff. The costs of running auctions are not insignificant. Easy Live will have a strong cut.

And really most posh auctions are over 30% now so this is still not unreasonable
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I suspect the issue is that for the last 15 years plus there have been collectors auctions where you could buy and sell at sensible prices purely set up for our hobby . Auctions houses are purely a business and that is probably the difference.

I would never stick stuff in an auction house unless is was a pile of crap, as I don’t want to take the 30% to 50% hit of the value of the machine going to the auction house pocket. Sometimes it works on other collectables where the target market is more widespread and you get some surprises. Of course it affects price as people will normally build fees into what they bid. I miss the old days when there was only a sellers fee some auction house use to operate…..

You can get a discount of 25% on fees if you continue to pay £10 a month to Colcon. I started to get used to Colcon as it was, except blind bidding and a shame it did not get a wider subscription number..

Of course auction houses have many overheads, top of the list are many staff to pay , premises and business rates etc.

Time will tell I suspect, but maybe there is an opening again for collectors auctions at 6% buyers and sellers fees :shock: Jingle, maybe a your next calling ;-)
jingle

Post by jingle »

You sound like my wife tree frog
Obviously she wants the stuff moving out her way

If I do an auction
It will be 10 percent both ways
With no internet bidding
Similar to bad penny type auctions
But I went to an auction in Blackpool
Few years ago
It sounds mad
But the auctioneer had 2 runners
When you won the auction they were over
Asking for the money and came back with the receipt
It didn’t actually go that slow and machines were paid for and you could leave straight away With your treasure 👍🏻
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

If I do an auction
It will be 10 percent both ways
With no internet bidding.......... What date is this I have the money ready to bid... 😂 😂 😂 😂 👍
jingle

Post by jingle »

Tomorrow 😂🥳
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

..... the auctioneer had 2 runners
When you won the auction they were over
Asking for the money and came back with the receipt
It didn’t actually go that slow and machines were paid for and you could leave straight away With your treasure 👍🏻

An interesting approach, I can see an increase in staff to the tune of 3 more (2 runners and 1 to receive the money and issue the receipt). Then there's the question of accuracy - Buyer No. 5 buys a lot at £100, a receipt for £110 is handed to runner who seeks out buyer No. 5. Money is exchanged, receipt given, runner returns with cash and The Receiver counts it to find £90. All three claim they're right, everything grinds to a halt. Also if you're offering this to buyers, then the vendors will want the same. Suddenly there is more activity with money and receipts than there is selling lots. The Runners will be slower than the auction, so a backlog will build, not a problem as such, but how do the runners find buyerNo. 5 from 10 minutes ago when they were concentrating on other buyers and lots at the time. And they need to do it without disturbing the auction itself, so interrupting and shouting out "Where's No. 5?" Will soon become irritating to everyone, especially if No. 5 is still focussing on the auction and straining to concentrate on the current lot.
It'd extend the auction, by slowing the process.
Increase the staff/costs.
Introduce an intrusive activity onto the auction floor.
There is no advantage for the Auction House, only those who might want to leave mid auction.

If you don't want to stay until the end, then don't attend. It would have sold to the underbidder anyway.

A good Hobbyist's Auction doesn't need to charge any more than Jingle quoted.
Sadly at the end of Coventry there was a battle going on with Coventry announcing a year in advance when the next one would be and then nearer the date the same date chosen by "you know who". So to try to appeal to everyone, commissions were withdrawn to vendors. The remaining 10% was not enough to ensure staying in the black.
It couldn't continue, even without Covid.

Like I keep saying, give it a go if you want, but you have to look at it from an Auction House point of view and not a not just a Buyer's.

BP !!SPLAT!!
jingle

Post by jingle »

Nope j they never moved the auction till the first one was paid
The 2 nd runner was for the next lot whilst first one was getting is paper.
There was no going behind. It worked bit slow but I could see it working else were to
Everyone new you had to pay as soon as you have bid and it was choker in there too
Also knowone is going off with out paying. Which is the reason why I think they done this
I think there were regulars who they new well that got away with not paying right away but not many
I know it sounds weird 🤷🏻but the auction house was still last time I passed
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

According to Steve, the percentages are as follows.
Buyer`s 20% , Sellers 12% . Discounted for Colcon members by 25% , making Buyer`s 15% and Sellers 9%.
My understanding is that to use easyliveAuction.com , you either pay a £3 fee per Auction to register to bid (whether you buy or not) OR register to bid for free, and then pay 3% commission on any purchase.
I`m sure full T&C`s will be on the Colcon or easylive website/s in due course, if not there already.
As no one else is prepared to host Slot Auctions, you can either join in or abstain, the choice is yours.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Fair does Bob.
It sounds like they took the time spent at the end for paying in (and out?) and just divided it up to spread it across the active part of the auction.

BP