Mutoscope Owners

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
daveslot

Re: Mutoscope Owners

Post by daveslot »

I always thought there was a card between each image to help the reel "flick" and prevent wear.
JC

Post by JC »

That's correct, every alternate card is blank.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Not on mine, I removed them all as they were causing other pictures to be induced in the allwins I had either side.
bob

Post by bob »

On all Mutoscope reels cards with pictures on them have a slightly shorter card interleaving them. These cards are there so that the cards with pictures are held in place by the "book trip" for a longer time in a stationary position than they would be otherwise and also to snap the picture cards down more quickly by the resilient quality of the interleaving cards. The quick forward movement of the cards blurs the movement to the viewer. The interleaving card thus creates an effect similar to that provided by the maltese cross system on a film projector which holds the film picture stationary in place for a moment while the light shines through it and has a shutter which obscures the light at the moment that the film is pulled down.
rob.n

Post by rob.n »

This is all great information! Thanks! I'm in the process of a very ambitious project of creating a replica of an early wooden Mutoscope. I also want to extend the running time of the reel so I plan on making the metal hubs from scratch and making them bit larger, maybe 1/2 inch more in diameter for a total of 4 13/16". This will allow me to add cards to the reel.

I have several questions and would greatly appreciate any information to help me move forward on the project:

1. How many cards are in the average reel. I have read there are 850 but when I count from photos of reels, I come up with around 720.
2. Does anyone know the type of paper used for the cards. weight, etc.?
3. What is the magnification of the viewing lens?
4. Does anyone know of a Mutoscope mechanism that might be for sale? Just the mechanics.

Thanks so much for the help. I might try to post progress on the project for anyone who might be interested.
Rob
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME: Rob.
rob.n wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:38 pm 1. How many cards are in the average reel. I have read there are 850 but when I count from photos of reels, I come up with around 720.
800 is about average, I believe, but earlier reels had more.
rob.n wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:38 pm 2. Does anyone know the type of paper used for the cards. weight, etc.?
I don't, but you might find this topic instructive: Reproduction Mutoscope reels?
rob.n wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:38 pm 3. What is the magnification of the viewing lens?
Again, I don't know I'm afraid, but here are the dimensions.
rob.n

Post by rob.n »

Thanks so much for you input!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Rereading, I see that Bob mentioned the very durable and snappy photographic “paper” from Eastman Kodak. I don't think they make it now, but presumably there's a suitable substitute. See Kodak Black & White Printing Paper, Films and Chemistry - by Michael Talbert

Excellent technical pdf on History, Technology, and Preservation of Biograph Company Mutoscope Reels
The company purchased 68mm bromide paper from Kodak company as the source materials for manufacturing mutoscope cards. Bromide paper is paper coated with gelatin bromide of silver emulsion.
There could be up to 1000 images (2000 'leaves', blank sheets included).
rob.n

Post by rob.n »

Excellent information. I did not know that the American Mutoscope Company started in Hoboken, N.J. Hoboken was my home in the late 1990s. Thanks again for taking the time to post the info and for a great forum.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

I would absolutely love an old tinny. I have spoken to quite a few old operators and I’m surprised how many are in lock-ups in the UK. One arcade owner handed over 20 of them to another operator as part of a deal for some new machines. He’s keeping them for now. 🙄