Somebody knows... Maybe you?
vince55

Sega Bell Reels

Postby vince55 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and have just brought my first slot machine a Sega Bell, serial number 739491 and stamped July 1965.
It has a Mills mech, no jackpot and no escalator , but all seems to be working ok, but the reel strips are wrong, all 3 strips are the same code GP-CH-1.
Can anyone please tell me what strips it should have and where I might be able to get them, any help would be very welcome.
IMG_0532a.jpg
IMG_0541a.jpg
IMG_0537a.jpg
IMG_0536a.jpg

treefrog

Re: Sega Bell Reels

Postby treefrog » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi and welcome,

As you say it is a Mills mechanism in a Sega cabinet. It looks an earlier mechanism as well, so pre mid 1950’s... not seen the blue rimmed reel tins before. Odd why the strips are same and the right ones more than likely ended with 2 and 3.

I would recommend you go through the process of checking the wins, a little time consuming but worth doing to confirm correct strips needed. There is a thread on here how to do this, will post a link if I can find

vince55

Postby vince55 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Thanks Treefrog,
I'm afraid that I'm a little green on the workings. Have looked on line for new strips but can't find any over in the UK .
The bay shows a confusing selection but no clue to which machine they fit.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:56 pm

That reel strip is a Mills Antique Reel Strip CH-537 which is, I think, the only Mills strip where an Orange comes before a BAR. These strips are available BUT there is a problem, CH-537 strips come in 5 types, not 3, so you have to know the list of payouts at the very least. I believe these are sold as a set of five, so easiest way would be to buy the set and test them. Almost certainly, strips 1 (which you have) and strip 2 will be fixed and strip 3 will be either 3, 4 or 5. That is IF the machine has had no changes made to the payout disc.
The big problem is - are you sure that even reel strip 1 is correct for your machine or has someone just slapped on three reel strips he had handy to make the machine look sell-able?

Am I right in thinking the machine works OK but the payouts are wrong? If so, first check if there are any holes in the payout disc filled in. If there are, you may need to find the closest strip set that works and then make small changes where needed.

None of these problems are insurmountable, but it might take a good deal of reel mapping.

vince55

Postby vince55 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:39 pm

Thanks Coppinpr,
I have a feeling you are right in your assumption that they are not the right reels, as all 3 of them are the same number GP- CH-1 and have been sellotaped in place.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:47 pm

Then you will need to map the reels. This will be long and tedious. If you need tips on how to do it, ask when you're ready to attempt it.

vince55

Postby vince55 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:47 pm

Well I've mapped the reels and It bears little resemblance to the spools I have, from left to right, looking from the front it is:

BAR.. BAR. .. O
O........ B........ L
L....... C........ P
P........ B....... O
O....... O........ B
P....... C........ P
C...... P... ...... L
L....... C....... O
O........ B...... P
P........ C....... O
O........ B....... BAR + P
BAR... C...........
P........ B....... O
C........ C....... P
P......... O....... O
O......... B....... B
L........ C........ L
B......... P....... O
O......... B...... P
C......... C...... B

Can anyone tell me what set codes these are and where I might be able to buy some?

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:05 pm

Well, there is good news and bad news. :cool:
The first two strips are "Silver Wild Duce 19-1 and 19-2" with just a couple of changes (not uncommon for operators to change the odd symbol to reduce payouts).

On reel 1 the 7th symbol down should be an orange if original.
On reel 2 the 6th symbol down should be a BAR if original.
If you are sure your mapping is correct, these two changes can be made easily to new strips.

That was the good news.
Reel 3 is nothing like any Mills strip I can find. !PUZZLED!
The nearest is CC-407, but that only has 11 of the 20 correct.

So, first thing is check your mapping of reel 3. If this is definitely correct (I know just how easy it is to map it wrong, one mistake and it falls apart :burp: ).
If you're sure of the mapping I would suggest you buy "Silver Duce set 19-1,19-2 & 19-3" then send me 19-3 so I can see the symbol style and I'll make reel three and the reel 1, 2 overlays for you (I will have to charge for the materials at least).

Bernie has the reels strips at: http://www.mrslot1.com

vince55

Postby vince55 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:02 am

Thank you so much - that is a great help. I will map reel 3 again as it is a little strange that both the plum and the bar seem to be in the same area, so now I can carry on with the restoration.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:28 am

That particular plum should come directly under the BAR as far as I can tell.