How fast can you back pedal?

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
treefrog

Re: How fast can you back pedal?

Post by treefrog »

I have been using iron on veneers, so pre-glued, usually 5 or 6mm. Not had major issues, but I would like to try older veneers applying my own glue, which is more tricky. A lot of the veneer seems to be from US or Eastern Europe these days and does not look like the period stuffily old machines, so nicely flecked on oak for example.
santelmann

Post by santelmann »

Thanks for the information :D

Youre right, its not easy to get really god veneer these days. Here were a small company in my neigbourhood which delivers the veneer for Rolls Royce :cool:
The price was high, but i could check every sheet before buying.

I used this type of material for the Zeppelin veneer, glued whith gelatin...very tricky...
Sealed with shellac.

Zvergleich.jpg

zeppelinfurnier4.jpg

zeppelinfurnier5.jpg

zeppelinfurnier7.jpg

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Looks greats !!THUMBSX2!!
And much more delicate, certainly warranted on those type of machines....
santelmann

Post by santelmann »

Currently I'm doing tests with steam to shape the veneer before glueing. Its a very diffcult job. The grain direction is 90 degrees offset to the base !!UHOH!!

DSCN5833.JPG

DSCN5832.JPG

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

treefrog wrote:Also worked out how to make my own keys on traditional locks without changing the lock,
Interesting TF, is it a tricky procedure?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

arrgee wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:40 am
treefrog wrote:Also worked out how to make my own keys on traditional locks without changing the lock,
Interesting TF, is it a tricky procedure?
I screwed up my first key, but the trick is once you have the cover off is to line up the key in its guide along side the levers and work out how far each one needs to go in. I do one lever at a time, then gradually grind with a dremmel to the depth needed. Go slow is the advice and make sure each of the levers area down secure flat when testing/checking. Obviously you need the right key, although you can adjust length shorter creating the point if needed. I have also shaved off metal for really small locks to fit. I was lucky to buy on eBay about 3 years ago over 100 Yale flat keys, but they were not cheap....still I reckon I am half way getting my money back in locksmith fees :cool:

Last one I did took less than 10 minutes !!THUMBSX2!!

I may get around to do a video like I did on the Mills snake lock...
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

TF a video would be great !THUMBS!
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Perhaps this thread has been hijacked but there does seem to be a lot of interest in veneering old cabinets. I had to re-veneer two Regina Beromat cabinets because they were so badly damaged with peeling veneers and woodworm damage.

I don't consider myself an expert but I believe can answer some of the questions raised. The filler I used was made by Liberon but I imagine any filler would do, as long as it can be easily sanded down. After all it is going to be covered by the veneer. I used modern paper-backed veneers because it would have been difficult to get the size I needed otherwise. Most modern veneers are only 0.6mm thick so you have to be very careful not to sand through them! The adhesive I used was Titebond Cold Press Veneer Glue which is similar to their standard wood glues but a little thicker. This reduces the likelihood of the glue penetrating the veneer and causing problems when applying the finish.

The veneers were clamped under a thick MDF board with as many clamps as I could muster - as you can see in the photo. The larger front veneer was clamped under an MDF board too but using slightly curved battens to ensure that pressure was applied in the centre.
Attachments
Re-veneering-cabineta.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Looks like a good job in the making tallstory, post some pics when the rebuild is complete !!THUMBSX2!!
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Will do but I am a bit stuck at the moment getting the re-chroming done. The firm doing it are suffering many delays due to the you know what virus! I have experimented with home plating but it has never come out well.
santelmann

Post by santelmann »

I´ve start to fix the steam formed veneer. Thickness is 0,9mm i use gelatin as adhesive thats nothing else than cleaned ember glue. The process needs heat so i use fitted aluminium half shells to press the veneer on the base after glueing.
While pressing i warm up the shells for a very short time with a blowtorch.
After 15 minutes the shells could be removed. After 24 hours the glue is hardened.

A lot of work and might be difficult, but the result is fine :D
DSCN5838.JPG

DSCN5839.JPG

erbuefarbe.jpg

tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Never used gelatin as a glue (only in my puddings) but I can't argue with the results. Magnificent!