Somebody knows... Maybe you?
tammy

What colour to stain a new softwood case for a Rotofruit?

Postby tammy » Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 pm

I made a new case for a Rotofruit penny machine in white softwood. How should I stain it to look like the original door?
Thank you
20180518_213030a.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: what colour to stain a new softwood case for a rotofruit

Postby pennymachines » Sat May 19, 2018 11:47 am

Hi Tammy,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's more or less impossible to make a softwood case look like the oak door. It's hard enough getting replacement oak to match original oak. You can of course match the colour, but that won't disguise the difference. You could experiment on a test piece of wood, mixing 'medium oak' with 'mahogany' stains perhaps.

tammy

Re: What colour to stain a new softwood case for a Rotofruit?

Postby tammy » Tue May 22, 2018 7:27 pm

Thanks PM for your reply. You probably right about white wood not colouring as old oak but just wondered if someone like them wood furniturer restorers like drew prirchards lot had passed on any tips thro there programs..if not i will experiment using bottles of tops scratch remover as base then light stainer then yaught varnish watered down with white spirits as top coat.
i will do as you say test results on some off cuts. Thankyou for your response and best wishes

JC

Postby JC » Tue May 22, 2018 8:31 pm

As PM says, you'll never make softwood look like hardwood. And I don't believe you'll be able to match colours successfully, due to the acute differences in wood grain. At the end of the day, softwood will always look like softwood, regardless of colour.
My advice would be contrast: I think a much lighter case would look far better than the case trying to look the same colour as the oak door. Personally, I would try an antique pine or light oak stain. Try a few light colour stains on some scrap timber.
Finally, if you're going to varnish, use a satin varnish rather than gloss - even if you're going to varnish the door also.

tammy

Postby tammy » Wed May 23, 2018 11:21 am

Thankyou i am sure your advice is good and will do little bits on spare wood and use a matt varnish as you said.

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Wed May 23, 2018 12:13 pm

Another option is a spare cabinet, given how many machines it’s missing gpo parts and broken glasses you would expect a few cabinets to be in peoples sheds and usually only the ply boards rot.

I have a few machines, but are mostly complete, there was one at the elephant end of last year..

Having two colour contrast as suggested might look quite nice.

special when lit

Postby special when lit » Thu May 24, 2018 3:29 pm

I've just made a new base for my Electrodart out of pine, & I used some Ronseal 5 year wood stain (mainly 'cos I had some left after painting my gates), & it seems a reasonable match.
DSCF0652a.jpg
DSCF0665a.jpg

tammy

Postby tammy » Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 pm

Looks really good... Thank you - it gives me confidence to experiment and encourages me for looks like light at the end of the tunnel!

tammy

Postby tammy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:32 pm

Thank you to Special When Lit - my son and I have started to colour stain a white wood case with Ronseal 5 year stain which was only £12 from B&Q. Should be loads over for the fence later in year!!
We have cut corners and given the wood two coats with only, 1 hour between. I think it will look the job after a coat or two of watered down (with white spirits) Yacht Varnish which was only a pound a tin from one of the Poundland shops.

Thanks for your help and I will post pictures of the finished machine later.
20180722_155337a.jpg
Staining the machine in bits

JC

Postby JC » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:06 am

Bloody hell, is this some kind of a wind-up? You've splashed-on two coats of fence preservative, and then intend to finish it with yacht varnish that you bought for a pound? :#: