Shefras Extrawin

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
chasmon

Re: Shefras Extrawin penny arcade machine - Repair needed

Post by chasmon »

Thank you both, Pennymachines and badpenny.
Very helpful comments.
Lets see how I get on.
Kind regards
Chasmon
chasmon

Post by chasmon »

I wanted to post a big thank you to the operators of this site for helping with my repair needs for my machine.
In particular I can't thank member 13rebel enough for his dedication and hard work in beautifully restoring my machine whilst keeping its original "integrity.
I could not have achieved this without him.
Thank you all once again.
Chasmon
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That's fantastic and thanks Chasmon for letting us know. Well done 13rebel! Now we need some pictures...
chasmon

Post by chasmon »

Thank you pennymachines.
No pictures necessary as I would not want to embarrass 13rebel.
Needless to say I am very happy and could not have achieved this without your site and his dedicated knowledgeable and skillful help.
Spin one for me !
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I was about to post about an Extrawin for sale today on another post, but realised it was the same as this thread. Main reason for posting, was my annoyance at the auction house not updating the listings on Saleroom and Easyspace on the state of it inside. I noticed the pin holes on the picture and kept asking for pictures, they eventually updated their own website, but not main bidding sites, so I hope the buyer saw these pictures as the worm looks very alive and even worse than 4 years ago, sold for £830 assuming in the room :shock: Who said prices are dropping?
Attachments
EFB00EB2-EE9A-408E-9129-927130768226a.jpg
2AE87933-2A58-43E5-B4CA-8A23C2B30BFDa.jpg
BE61B8B2-03C4-4B28-9F35-735D135F8FEBa.jpg
polaris

Post by polaris »

:shock: Looks like I’ve got a bit of a job on my hands. :)
Pretty disappointed that info wasn’t available on saleroom. Spoke with them after paying and to be honest was fobbed off with “it’s in the condition report on our site”.
Doesn’t help when you're not bidding on their site but, hey ho, been faced with worse. As a matter of interest Tom at what point was it updated on Gorringes' site?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I honestly don’t know when they updated the site, but I sent messages from saleroom a week ago and in the end sent a message direct. They told me end of last week they shared pictures on their site.

The machine probably had bad woodworm for years as per pictures at beginning of this thread, but is definitely active and worse. Mostly on mechanism board fortunately, so just extra hard work. You could see pin holes on the front, which is why I queried. Whether the artwork should be changed you will be able to judge. The case and top flash looks nice though and not seen the 1D price on the artwork before. !THUMBS! Always fancied one of these. :#:
polaris

Post by polaris »

Thanks Tom, not a big job, more an inconvenience. I’m not a fan of anything with worm. Don’t normally buy anything with it, historic or otherwise. It does appear from pics to be concentrated on the backboard, although a couple holes on the back rail of the cabinet. Will see how bad when it gets here. Will keep me busy.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Still a cheap machine bill in that condition
👍🏻
polaris

Post by polaris »

Hello Bob
Yeah still a nice machine and appears all there. Not really a big job to swap that out. Was happy enough with the price mate. Allwins certainly up there at the minute.
polaris

Post by polaris »

Machine has arrived and is as bad as it looks, working on backflash at the minute but can anyone advise what type of wood base of cabinet is made from as needs replacing, also is it possible to weld over holes in hammer and drill them again not sure if particular metal will take a weld ? Any info much appreciated
Attachments
78EB6678-55FF-43E5-9B2A-CE062934E289a.jpg
7AFFAB1F-6610-47B6-88A9-3616002DAD70a.jpg
031660E6-A5F3-431A-B829-284476A2164Da.jpg
9289DE30-2D5C-4D5E-8EF9-025A402273FFa.jpg
3CBE08A6-1293-407A-8C24-0BDF21B5D5A6a.jpg
2A560971-2B75-4959-A365-FCE4CDA0BD74a.jpg
BD5CA278-9924-4249-BF8C-02A7B1127D63a.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Polar, the hammer armature is cast brass and can be brazed or silver soldered. But doesn't look too bad at all. In this case I'd just cut the hole round again slightly larger with a taper ream, obviously done with the hammer on the steel shaft. If you do braze the holes, then drilling the new hole in the hammer to mate with the existing steel shaft hole is always tricky. And you'll still have to ream a new taper hole anyway. Make sure you taper the correct direction, otherwise you'll really end up having to make a much larger hole!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

On the base, it looks presentable from the front and rear and, if rotten on the bottom, could you not just try using a wood hardener and then fill and sand? It may look a lot better than a replacement and, given it's underneath, not something people will see… You could even laminate with wood veneer once flat, if it offended. Just a thought…
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

That's exactly what I was thinking, and was going to post.
polaris

Post by polaris »

Think probably way to go gameswat. I'll give that a try and, if it does go Pete Tong, at least I know it can be welded to have another go. With regards to the base Tom, I’m happier to remove as much of the worm as possible. It’s actually worse than it looks in the picture. It’s a sponge. I’ve already removed it and I’m pretty happy with what’s left of the cabinet. There are a few holes, but had three cans of treatment on it. :)
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Finally got myself an Extrawin !!YABBADABBA!! Won on Saleroom over weekend, so bid a bit blind not knowing if I had an empty box…..glad to collect today to find it all there, including cash box and keys. Won the special award on second go @&@

I am a fan of these later cased versions and will go with my payola, just need a Crackjack and Time Limit now.

The mechanism seems to be a modified version of the earlier machine as below !THUMBS!
Attachments
IMG_20230515_161101639a.jpg
IMG_20230515_161101639a.jpg (170.66 KiB) Viewed 799 times
IMG_20230515_161234170a.jpg
IMG_20230515_161234170a.jpg (169.74 KiB) Viewed 799 times
IMG_20230515_161305916a.jpg
IMG_20230515_161305916a.jpg (75.23 KiB) Viewed 799 times
treefrog

Re: Shefras Extrawin

Post by treefrog »

After rereading a few threads on the site, 12 years ago JC pointed to an article in MMM on the two variations of the Crackerjack and Extrawin. Here's One We Made Earlier

The version I have is the earlier version, which I had guessed as the earlier versions apart from the mechanical aspects they spelt Rotor, Rota……easy mistake corrected in later machines. Which means these shorter punted passes cabinet styles actually predate the standard wooden cabinet styles. I also noted the original locks on my machine are all dated 1953. I had always assumed these cabinets were later… !THUMBS!
polaris

Post by polaris »

Very nice Tom. I actually forgot about it - had intended to bid.
How does this work with the sealed rotor as opposed to mine with the chute to the side? Does the ball drop away when it reaches the top and how is it replaced? This is as far as I’ve gotten with my resto. I had a new backflash made but it’s quite flimsy. Looking to find something nearer the mark on card.
Attachments
IMG_9989a.jpg
IMG_9989a.jpg (125.84 KiB) Viewed 800 times
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

What about using acetate to provide strength, these all had a sheet to protect artwork, maybe use a thicker piece.

So the sealed system, is exactly that, purely visual and balls do not drop away. On the back there is a drum marking the balls positions which the hold the operating ball on the win release lever to allow another win to be paid. I assume the later system the balls drop away and only fill with enough losses occur to refill each slot. In other words the later system reduces payouts for a good or lucky punter. Probably based on feedback from operators, also gives more visual operation. After playing mine for a while I could get a long run of play through the number of wins I was getting. !!CHEERS!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

treefrog wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:31 pm After rereading a few threads on the site, 12 years ago JC pointed to an article in MMM on the two variations of the Crackerjack and Extrawin. Here's One We Made Earlier

The version I have is the earlier version, which I had guessed as the earlier versions apart from the mechanical aspects they spelt Rotor, Rota……easy mistake corrected in later machines. Which means these shorter punted passes cabinet styles actually predate the standard wooden cabinet styles. I also noted the original locks on my machine are all dated 1953. I had always assumed these cabinets were later… !THUMBS!
I've explained here why I think that Extrawin chronology was incorrect. Shefras made allwins in standard wooden cabinets that seem to predate any of their ply ones, but it does appear that the ply boxes were an alternative option quite early on.