Aristocrat Hoots Mon/Quadreel/Quartette

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
dennison

Aristocrat Hoots Mon/Quadreel

Post by dennison »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi,

This machine has been at my Mum and Dad's farm for around 40 years. It belonged to my grandad who owned a bingo hall in Bury. It’s always been a fun thing to have as you can pull the handle and it still spins and makes great noises. Unfortunately it has gone in to disrepair and we’re unsure what to do with it/ whether or not it’s worth anything?
Any information or advise would be greatly appreciated. :)
Thanks
Attachments
Aristocrat Quadreel
Aristocrat Quadreel
aristomatic

Re: aristocrat quadreel

Post by aristomatic »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you tap in the search box (top right of page):

aristocrat hopper
Quadreel
Hoots Mon
aristo 4 reel

Then you will see that there are numerous threads on Aristocrat hopper payout machines that will give you some general background information on some of the usual issues experienced. You may get lucky and just by replacing a few fuses get the machine up and working. I wouldn't worry at the moment regarding the cosmetic issues and broken award graphics. If you get the mechanics working you can always sort out cosmetics later.

Most on the forum can help with general mechanical workings, maybe less so on the electro-mechanical side.
treefrog

Re: aristocrat quadreel

Post by treefrog »

I guess the answer to your question is that in the current condition it is not a high value item and may fetch between 50 and 150.....but that assumes not fully functional and poor chrome.

Maybe give it a clean and see how it comes up. Also have you ever plugged it in or do the electrics still work? If not, as mentioned, maybe a lot of work.

If you're looking to sell, maybe still in one of the collectors auctions as a project for someone. There are two coming up in November in Coventry and Leamington Spa.

If you want to keep it, you could get it restored by someone like Henry Powell, but this would be a sentimental choice as you would not get a return on it. In mint condition, these may fetch between 300 and 500.......

I have a few of these machines and still have yet to touch mine.....too many project to do. :cool:
dennison

Re: Aristocrat Quadreel

Post by dennison »

Wow guys thank you so much, what a refreshing change to post something asking for help on the internet and not get berated. 😁 Thanks for your extremely useful replies and I’ll look into all of the above.
malcymal

Re: Aristocrat Quadreel

Post by malcymal »

Not wanting to be a scaremonger, if you do plug it in keep your hands off any metal parts just in case it's not earthed correctly, e.g the case. I made this mistake with an old Bally I picked up from a shed find, plugged it in to see if it came on and got a belt off it when I touched the door. I'm sure it's fine, but just be careful, e.g. when opening up, have the plug out. As said you would unlikely rechrome it as this costs a fortune, but I have seen some pretty snazzy repaints of this style of Aristo and if it's something you want to hang on to and get it going then here is the place to get help. For example, how to repaint on chrome, how to re-image the top payout glass and print on plastic, how to get mechanics all going. Welcome to you! :cool:
raymond

Aristocrat Hoots Mon

Post by raymond »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Has anyone a wiring diagram for the Aristocrat "Hoots Mon" machine or a block diagram of how the electrical components are connected?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Aristocrat Hoots Mon

Post by badpenny »

Hi welcome to the forum.
I'll leave it to others to advise the level of knowledge at the moment, but a few years back we had somebody asking the same question.
As I remember nothing came to light. It was one with a pay out hopper and lots of bits missing electro mechanically. It would take a coin and play, light up and looked good, but the end of cycle was missing connections, solenoids and relays.

Was yours playing/complete when you bought it?
BP :cool:
malcymal

Re: Aristocrat Hoots Mon/Quadreel/Quartette

Post by malcymal »

If it's not financially viable to do, or too much work, but you fancy getting another bandit to relive the memories, it might be the case that some of the parts alone you could sell to fund something a bit more novice friendly. If you go to the Top Tips and Tricks thread, there's a lot in there about starter machines which do not rely on that dangerous invisible stuff that can make you go bang: electricity. Get a machine without an electrical hopper etc. or post on here to trade it in for part exchange against a working machine maybe.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

So another machine I bought 9 years ago at Coventry, that went to the back of the pile for the “one day I will get to look” stack, in other words most of my machines. It was Hutto’s machine he posted on page two on this thread and could not get it to pay out. He has not logged in years, but thought someone may find some of the results useful on their machines. I do love these as the hopper running large payouts is great… !!THUMBSX2!!

9E6B2A3D-E810-4B89-9809-C5FAAE1A7FB4a.jpg

Now I am useless on electrics, but had another to compare against. The main issue seemed to be a part that acts as a timer where the payout should complete before a cutout kicks in to stop the hopper running when out of coins or jammed. On later models they used a timer like below

F366FFD6-5D58-4D6C-906E-94C22E0696C3a.jpg

On this earlier variant, instead of a timer, there is a large capacity that obviously stored energy which when expired cuts out, like the Lucky Devil features. This was hanging vertically and disconnected at both ends and needs the circuit complete to allow the payout feature to operate . On soldering it sparked into life !THUMBS!

16F02A95-B9F7-4858-B6F4-82C410DB419Da.jpg

Next payouts were erratic with incorrect payouts on most features and the 10 payouts did not work.

The 10 payouts turned out to be the vertical fingers on the side, not triggering the micro switches at the correct point, which are attached to each finger. The metal arms that trigger the micro switches were bent, with adjustment voila. The fingers on these machines do not work like an ordinary bandit and are often working in combination with a finger alongside to know when say a three Jack win occurs or 4 Jack. Reason for this is you can only have one microswitch on each finger. As such there are many more holes on the discs.

4E89647B-0DD0-4884-9714-E3017FB021A5a.jpg

Lastly number of correct coins being paid out was caused by the pins in top being in the wrong holes where someone had changed. It helped having another machine, so I have not worked out what all the combinations do, but again addressed the last issue.

E9265538-ABE4-4144-A9AC-5948C09A12F9a.jpg

Anyway, nice machine with good chrome and also replaced all the missing locking mechanisms, locks etc, which had been removed from cash tray and cabinet….now with original Ainsworth locks…. :cool: Just one small adjustment to make, which noticed in video, the reel bundle is too loose, Aristocrats have adjusting nuts to help with this, mentioned because someone asked on another topic on a mills machine.

moonriver

Post by moonriver »

nice job !!THUMBSX2!!