Günter Wulff Astra - Insides

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
slotsoffun

Günter Wulff Astra - Insides

Post by slotsoffun »

Hi
Just picked up one of these Günter Wulff Astra from 1962. Just wondered if anyone has any internal details, especially close up pictures of the inside. I'm wanting to see the bottom right where it appears to have 2 capacitors, I need to see where they connect to.
But any other details would be great. It's not working at the moment!!!
Thanks.
Attachments
13467.jpg
13467.jpg (10.09 KiB) Viewed 5385 times
slotalot

Re: Günter Wulff Astra - Insides

Post by slotalot »

Any chance you can post some good clear photos of the parts you are asking about? and I/ we may have a better chance of advising you where to stick them :lol: if you know what I mean??
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

Blimey one look at that picture and you can see why some people have a fear of clowns. Nice machine but he'd take some getting used to. My suggestion is once working do not play after 9 at night.
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

Two pictures, the first shows the overall inside for comparison to other models, the other one is a close up of the bottom right corner where the power comes in and appears to have two capacitors near a coil. As you can see, the top capacitor looks "blown up". It has two wires into one side red and black, but it's lost the left side. So not sure where the left side of the capacitor connects to, should I manage to get a replacement.

Any help?
Attachments
closeup.jpg
fullback.jpg
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

As you say, the capacitor has blown and lost its wire end. The wire would have been soldered to the tag just above the capacitor, "see photo".
It is not a normal capacitor, as it seems to have a diode built into it??? hence the 2 wires on one end. Can't say as I have ever seen one like that before. :o
Can you post on here a full list of the wording on the capacitor? I would be interested to see just what it is... !PUZZLED!
Attachments
Captu.JPG
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

Here are the close ups. The whole thing, then a picture of the writing on the capacitor. Hope this helps.
Maybe anyone here who understands all these ratings etc... can give me some advice as to what I should be looking for? Thanks.
Attachments
whole.jpg
all3.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Is that a micro switch to the right of that condensor?
If so, is it protecting anyone messing around inside by turning the power off when the door is open? Because I can't see what it reacts against on the inside of the back door.
Perhaps the cash box, so you can't operate it without the box in place.

When you get it running you want to hoover all that crud from the bottom of the motor where the cooling fan sits.

BP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

You're right, he IS scary, this machine would drive the under-16s from the arcade. A vision of that face with all the lights flashing round it is enough to give anyone a nightmare. I don't know about a license to sell this one - you should have an X certificate. :!:
Attachments
astra.jpg
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Ok, I think I understand what we have here, I doubt that you will be able to get one just like it :oops:
But you should be able to make one up from 3 capacitors. You will need two capacitors at 2500pf at 250v or more, and one capacitor at 0.1uf at 250v or more.
I have attached links to Ebay suppliers where you can get them:

2x Capacitor 0.1uF 100nF 630V DC Polypropylene Axial Valve Vintage Metal Film UK

5x EPCOS B32237 2.5nF 2500pF 2.5kV MKT axial capacitors

You can only buy them in batched, but they are cheap as chips!!

You will need to wire them as per the attached drawing and then fit them to your machine. With a bit of luck everything should work... !SOFA!
Have a go and let me know how you get on... :byee:
Attachments
capacitor-wiring.gif
capacitor-wiring.gif (2.95 KiB) Viewed 5302 times
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

Slotalot, can't thank you enough for that. I'd never have worked that out. I'll order those bits and report back when fitted.
Also Badpenny, you and me are on the same level... I had exactly the same thought about that red "switch" stopping it from working if the back door was opened, so I pressed and pushed that red top, what a fool I felt... It didn't move... It's a fuse holder!!!!! The red cap unscrews to reveal a small fuse. We live and learn!!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Errr .... yes ... the fuse holder that I always knew was .... errr ... that thing you just said.
JC

Post by JC »

The configuration in Stuart's drawing looks like a suppressor. If this is correct, then the leg from the 0.1uF cap. should go to earth.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

This may be a little late now??? :oops:
But just been doing a little more research into this component and managed to find this... Delta Suppressor Arcotronics FATAD series 0.15mf X2 + 2 x 4700pfd Cy 250V AC

The rating is a little different but it should fit the bill :!?!: If you haven't ordered the other bits yet, that is... !SORRY!
JC

Post by JC »

Just to clarify, Stuart's drawing on the previous page is a 'Star' configuration. The Ebay link is for a 'Delta'. Don't worry too much about the difference between Star and Delta, you don't really need to know - Delta is the more common config. for a suppressor. Here's a diagram:
Attachments
suppressor.jpg
suppressor.jpg (10.36 KiB) Viewed 4324 times
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

Once again appreciate the time and effort you guys are giving. Unfortunately, I have already ordered the parts (I don't like to hang around!!!) but I'm OK with that. I will however order the other one you suggest and give that a go. As for wiring, I may need some idiot advice when it arrives, circuit diagrams confuse me, but drawing pointy arrows on a photo as to where things connect I can handle !!!! :lol:
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

Got the Delta Capacitor today from eBay, soldered it in, and Hooray, I'm still alive and no explosion! Now that's done, more problems, so please any experts on these type of machines appreciated!!!
None of the lights work so I can't see my scores, but after feeding in loads of coins I'm sure I've had a winner, which if I have then the payout solenoid is not working!!!

So, no lights working, even when pressing the "show score" button. Also not convinced payout solenoid working... Looks like it'll be a Friday night in the garage trouble shooting... Please feel free to throw in any suggestions...

Thanks.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi, if all the lights are not working? then I would first check both of the fuses, one on top of the transformer & the one in the red fuse holder. Also all the lamp holders will have a common negative wire back to the transformer. I would also check for breaks in that wire. all with the machine unplugged - I don't want you going black and crispy down one side.. :zapa:

Also there are 6 lamps that permanently light up the clown's face. Are they also not lit??? They should be on all the time, as soon as you plug the machine in.
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

Thanks SlotaLot, I did re-check the fuse on top of the transformer, although the fuse was fine, when it was in the holder and the test meter put across the contacts there was nothing... It was just the fuse holder with corrosion and not making good contact. Fixed that and the lights all work now. I cleaned the payout slide, and now the whole thing works perfect. Magic!!!!
Thanks again for help and advice.
oldvic

German Astra Wall Machine Problem

Post by oldvic »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I have a 1962 Astra wall machine (that's the one with the dice theme).

It all works fine except for the following problem:

Inside the machine, at the centre, near the bottom, there is a relay which, when on, activates all the lights.

In my machine, the relay never comes on. The coil is fine. I just can't see what turns it on during the game - I have had to wedge it firmly on to get the bulbs to light, but the lights are supposed to switch off at the end of each game (to be kind to the bulbs, I guess).

Has anyone any idea what activates the coil - I've looked through all the cams but can't see anything obvious.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Remember, photos of the machine and its innards ALWAYS brings more response from the mob.
Although I've never had one of these, I do like them and have had machines with similar lighting. There are electrickery experts on the forum who will come along. I am no expert on the mysteries of electricity.

But one thing is certain, the lights are switched on by inserting a coin which I'm assuming hits switch that starts a large multi switch cam (like I said, I've never seen inside this machine). The coin probably hits a switch which starts the cam for just a second. The first thing the cam does is operate a switch that will keep power to the cam for the duration of the game. Because the lights stay on for the same length of time as the game runs, this switch on the cam will most likely send power to the lights as well as the cam if the voltage is the same for both. It will of course be a separate wire from that switch. Find out which cam switch keeps the power on for the cam and trace the wiring from that. There may well be a break. If all else fails (and the experts say the power level is the same for both cam and lights), you could simply run new wires from the switch to the lights... I think. It's possible there is a separate switch on the cam for the lights. If there is, it will be easy to spot because it have the same run time as the cam switch. The sparky boys will now tell you the easy way. :shock: