Aristocrat Clubmaster

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pennywise

Aristocrat Clubmaster

Post by pennywise »

I've just stripped my Clubmaster down ready for the make over and found lots of these tokens in and behind the cash draw.
This machine runs on 6d coins and I wondered if they had anything to do with this machine, or was it something you could swap or trade for a prize? Any info would be great please.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190501-160059a.jpg
20190513_161717a.jpg
20190513_172431a.jpg
treefrog

Re: Aristocrat clubmaster

Post by treefrog »

If they are sixpence size, then they are just used as the same....

I remember this machine, was on eBay in Peterborough and as usual was removed by eBay. I guess you managed to deal offline with seller. ;-)

Are the bits there that are missing on the escalator which I noticed when listed and in your picture? The other odd thing I was going to query with seller, before it was removed, it looks like there is a hole drilled on the left hand of the casting, strange place to have a hole... or is it my eyes are playing up? Looks like nice project... have fun. :burp:
pennywise

Re: Aristocrat clubmaster

Post by pennywise »

I watched it TF, then it got taken off and a couple of days later it was relisted but not in one arm bandits.
Relisted in clothing 🤔 and it popped up on mine because I watched it - very lucky because I was looking for it for ages. Don't know why the hole is there, unless for saftey chain or someone logo attatchment - who knows?

The rod that hits the coin was bent, so was on free play, but needs cutting, plus a couple of springs behind the coin mech have come off that operate coin acceptance I think. Not had one before so trial and error I'm affraid.😁

The reels are nice and tight, spin great just needs de-greasing and a real good clean.

Yes TF, the front piece is in the cash box - just needs a clean and they must have had trouble with the coin mech.
I'm guessing why the rod was bent because it would go through the hole in the tokens so render them pointless.🤔
Attachments
20190513_145115a.jpg
20190513_144125a.jpg
brigham

Re: Aristocrat Clubmaster

Post by brigham »

Tokens with a hole were designed not to be playable in the machine, for the usual reason; getting round the never-ending absurdity of gaming laws.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I am intrigued, I assume the coin detector on a lot of machines in theory would reject these tokens, so how did this work in terms of the law and getting around use of them? !PUZZLED!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

The whole reason for the hole in tokens is so the machine can differentiate between coin and token. When set up for this, the machine will accept both coin and tokens, but due to the hole the machine will send all coins straight into the cashbox, while tokens go into the payout and jackpot to be recycled. That way the machine is not being used for gambling as the tokens will clearly state "For Amusement only, no cash value".
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I just don’t recall seeing this function existing on any machine I have worked on.....eg Mills, Aristocrat etc.....reject, yes.....

I seem to remember this being discussed ages ago and my memory has gone and how this functioned on machines. !PUZZLED! So would a machine have worked differently, depending on whether a token was inserted or a genuine coin, where the mechanics for this existed?
brigham

Post by brigham »

It goes right back to the early days in the US, to the days of gum and mint vendors.
There was no problem putting coin into the machine; that was a simple retail sale. The problem came when the machine paid out in current coin.
In many areas, a cash payout was nothing more than gambling, and not allowed. It was found that some areas would allow a prize of redeemable tokens; problem solved (for the meantime).
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

As I remember it all these tokens were slightly larger than a sixpence so the machine could separate them. Tokens with holes were 3d value and the solid ones were 6d value.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

So in theory if I put a small plate on the end of the rod that hits the back of the coin I should be able to use tokens and 6d coins.
The tokens are a fraction smaller than the 6d and some were jammed in the sliders. So now I know why the rod was bent, so it wouldn't go through the hole.
Still need to find out what's missing on the back and couple of springs missing I think.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Just an update, a few pics on the clubmaster cabinet getting ready to get painting the front.
Give me your views guys good or bad always good to know.
Attachments
20190517_141721a.jpg
20190517_160606a.jpg
20190517_160616a.jpg
20190517_160555a.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well that is different.....I had to double take as I thought you had put in kitchen worktop wood on the sides, but realised it was another wrap.....or I assume it is. :lol:

I have to admit wraps are certainly a good way in changing something, in theory multiple times without impacting the original surface. You could even change to the decor of your room... of course probably not practical in an arcade with people scratching away the surface...

Is that handle polished, as it came up well.
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

I think vinyl wrap has its place, I’ve used it on a bandit stand I made recently, but I have to say I prefer to see the original wood on sides of bandits, refurbished or not.
This is of course personal taste, and I think we all may have different likes and dislikes.
I’m only jealous really because I haven’t got a Clubmaster !!GRUMP!!
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

I only do the wrap if there is damage to the wood otherwise wouldn't touch it.
Tried to keep with the same colour, just a different pattern. It's really durable and hard to scratch. The handle I've done with a wire wheel, came up fantastic. Done the top front badge also and painted the front today so won't be long before it's finished hopefully.
Attachments
20190518_161606a.jpg
20190516_154057a.jpg
20190516_155613a.jpg
20190516_150353a.jpg
20190516_154047a.jpg
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

The polished parts look great. Do they deteriorate after time?
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Probably over time and if kept in the cold, but a coat of lacquer will give it a good seal, but as it will be kept nice and cosy I love the finish without the shine on it. :D
brigham

Post by brigham »

Fablon is best kept for kitchen knife drawers.
...Unless Lesley Judd says otherwise.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Brigham... :HaHa: :HaHa: :HaHa:

It will be coming off before I sell it but if it looked tatty the wife wouldn't let it in the house. Apart from trying to find some locks, I don't know wether to repaint the the badges red as it looks like it needs a bit of colour in the middle.
Should I also put a light in as I'm not too sure as it would only light the reels? There is a hole in the back panel, so easy to do, but I've not seen one lit up.
Attachments
20190522_161213a.jpg
20190522_163930a.jpg
20190522_161240a.jpg
20190522_161231a.jpg
20190522_161221a.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Looking good....I would paint the badges background with some red enamel paint, like the originals, makes it stand out more.

Not sure these ever had lights. The next generation of machines in the Sheerline/Starlite, seemed to have lighting as an option and had proper connectors fitted to the rear, rather than a hole. Personally I wouldn’t put lighting in, but your preference...

The hole in the back, does this match in position with the hole in the front casting you have plugged. I am intrigued by it and wonder if they are related and either someone shot the machine or something went right through.....maybe a locking bar or something :!?!:
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Cheers tf, yes the holes do line up so I'm guessing some sort of locking device. I have not found any sign of old lighting, so will leave it with no light. I can always use a stick on battery light. :HaHa: