Temple’s Penny Arcade Trailer Project

General vintage slot machine related topics.
bryans fan

Re: Temple’s Penny Arcade Trailer Project

Post by bryans fan »

It looks absolutely fantastic! What a superb project, you must be very proud of your hard work. The Artwork looks amazing.
I do hope that it proves to be a success, it should be a real head turner and draw the punters in. CoNgRaTs CoNgRaTs CoNgRaTs
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

So here is the last photo showing the project journey from start to finish in 7 months. All dreams are possible, even with a lockdown!

Thank you to everyone that has been involved, given advice, come to see it and offered their friendship along the way.

Now the hunt continues for more exciting machines and projects 😀
Attachments
DFB2BE7E-CC3C-4467-AC97-1A7F4B7F7057a.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Absolutely superb Paul, do you know which machine was the most popular with the punters?
Hope this project continues and is a success for you.
. !!THUMBSX2!!
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

Thanks 😀

The Octopus took the most coins, followed by the Mills bandits. The Pilwin was more popular than the Elevenses. It’s all very interesting really. It depends on the position of the machines. Also had multiple jams throughout the weekend caused by people putting new pennies in the slots or more than one penny at a time. 🤪 One even managed to work its way down to the payout slides and jam the hi top.

I will probably sell on the Brenner Past the Arrow. A beautiful machine with a clever mechanism, perfect for the collection, however the average punter does not seem to understand how it works.

Certainly kept me busy, can’t imagine what coping with 20 plus machines would be like!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I couldn't tell which version of the Brenner Arrow you have (the payout cup looks non-standard). On early versions, the player pulls the trigger once to set the arrow and again to release and fire the ball, but the later games were improved so that only one pull of the trigger was required.
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

This is the early version, first flick releases ball and sets arrow odds, second flick plays ball. The payout cup has been altered at some time. It’s a great machine to play but not from a commercial perspective, I spent all day explaining how it works! Think I will move it on for something easier to manage.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

pauljt71 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:51 pm Thanks 😀

The Octopus took the most coins, followed by the Mills bandits. The Pilwin was more popular than the Elevenses. It’s all very interesting really. It depends on the position of the machines. Also had multiple jams throughout the weekend caused by people putting new pennies in the slots or more than one penny at a time. 🤪 One even managed to work its way down to the payout slides and jam the hi top.

I will probably sell on the Brenner Past the Arrow. A beautiful machine with a clever mechanism, perfect for the collection, however the average punter does not seem to understand how it works.

Certainly kept me busy, can’t imagine what coping with 20 plus machines would be like!
Its interesting to hear your feedback, and which machines performed the best. In an average arcade there are certain machines that are 'sponges' and soak up coins from repeat multi play, such as Tip-the-Skittle type games that require a speculate to accumulate approach, the same as pushers. To balance the overall look and provide a nice interesting mix there will always be those machines that don't perform as well, but look great, and it's a fine balance to achieve.
Good idea to thin out your machines that don't play well and swap them over for those that do.
You're right, you can move exactly the same machine to a different position and it will perform better.
As far as getting smaller coins jamming, make sure all your coin entry slides have rejects fitted that flick out anything that isn't an old penny.
brigham

Post by brigham »

A very impressive display indeed, especially with the nice sunny day.
The artwork is astonishing; it wouldn't be out of place on ANY showfield.
For me, the music was loud and intrusive, but that's typical of fairgrounds since the panatrope was introduced. Organs were loud, and often off-tune, but they never seemed obtrusive.
Don't Mills High Tops look tiny, out in the open air? I was amazed.
You'll certainly need more machines, in time. It's fundamental to the hobby! Managing twenty will come naturally; all you need is a long key-chain and a bus conductor's satchel.
It's a shame you need to take the punters' preferences into consideration. I'd love to have a stall like yours with eight Little Stockbrokers on offer. Or perhaps six, and two Bradley Challengers.
A superb effort, and in so short a time, too. My congratulations.
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

Thanks for the feedback Brigham, nice to meet you.
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

Hi folks, hope you are all well.

Great news, my mini Penny Arcade will be returning to our vintage fairground this May bank holiday first second and third of May at Rufford Abbey Country Park, Ollerton NG22 9DF. Some of the machines have changed since last time they were out.

I have just finished fitting the matching pair Fruitbowl and Clock as featured on Melvin Wright's site. This will be their first public outing for many years.
If you happen to be passing, do come and say hello, it’s always great to meet fellow enthusiasts!
Attachments
086A0E93-F0ED-44EB-ABF6-89B6FEBB1F6Aa.jpg
7F38EA70-3CA2-45B7-8850-8B33418E73D8a.jpg
02760506-4A48-4DF7-9FB3-35B1C644BD31a.jpg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Good luck! Shame the weather looks much like the last outing.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Very best for a successful outing Paul.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Hope it all goes well for you Paul, and the weather men have got it wrong!
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

More Derek Ralph machines. They were in the same arcade as my Bullion.
Attachments
DSCF0864a.jpg
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

The matching pair both have Derek Ralph on the back. They were both supplied from Bryans to a Mr Greenwick on the 22-11-1965.
Attachments
B0A0E4BE-83D2-4D19-81DA-D050472830A6.jpeg
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Slightly younger than mine. Mine was sold to Shefras on 3rd June 1965.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Hi Paul, how did your event on the May bank holiday go? I'm sure many of us would be interested.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I went to an architectural salvage fair and the Saturday was an absolute washout, but the Friday and Sunday were nice and sunny.
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

The May fair event went well although we did get washed out on the Monday!

The machines were very popular. It was great to see the children trying to play the machines, working out where the money went and asking what to do next! Many of the parents have never even seen a one armed bandit.
The matching pair Fruit Bowl and Clock were well received. It was their first outing for many years. Interestingly the cashbox had three times as much in the fruit bowl at the end of the day than in the 12win Clock. It goes to show that the saying “the flash gets the cash“ is an accurate one!

Currently working on a 1935 Payramid. Also looking at how to extend over the drawbar of the trailer to get another four machines on. I will update on progress. :-)
Attachments
DB896346-C469-4101-80C2-1D5535C3D982a.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Glad that it went (reasonably) well for you Paul, keep us posted on the extension over the drawbar. !!THUMBSX2!!