GOOSE the Forum

General vintage slot machine related topics.
roger

GOOSE the Forum

Post by roger »

I have noticed that postings have been slow lately so I decided to give the Forum a bit of a GOOSE.
Recently, Mr. P had a post seeking parts for LITTLE Stockbroker......it reminded me of a machine I acquired at auction,many years ago , prior to the proliferation of books on coin-ops. My slot was called THE STOCKBROKER. It was housed in a beautiful oak cabinet and operated on the old English penny.
I was determined to go the limit to acquire this beauty since I was a professional stock broker.
To my delight , I was the only bidder and it went for a song.
I would like to hear if anyone knows about the history of this machine and perhaps some pictures.

And while we are on the subject of GEASE, I would encourage all members to give the FORUM their own GOOSE.
You do not have to be an expert on coinops to post your own experiences with
The first machine you acquired.......The one that got away
What you would like to own if you had the bucks..........my friends great machine
Your greatest find and buy...........what inspired your interest in coin-ops
How you got taken to the cleaners

START YOUR OWN POSTS AND YOU WILL FIND IT IS LOTS OF FUN..................ROGER
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: GOOSE the Forum

Post by badpenny »

I'll join in.
Firstly your "Stockbroker" machine in an oak case. I have a vague recollection but tend not to believe myself or trust anything I recall. So how about a photo?
My first machines I bought in 1971. I'm sure most of you can work out that was due to decimalisation in this country.
I bought them through Exchange and Mart. Many of the seaside operators were selling them for buttons.
I got a Günther Wulff Novomat for £5 delivered and a Hawtins Allwin steel cased allwin for £15.
I didn't get to keep them (another story) but I have now replaced them both, and it nearly cost me £1K to do so. So I lost out there!

As to how and why, I have recounted this a few times over the years, so won't go into great detail other than to say.
In the mid 60s as a schoolboy my Uncle had an arcade in Paignton, and for my school holidays I was sent to work for him.

BP :cool:
PS ... What is/are "GEASE"? Sounds like a lubricant cream extracted from poultry for applying to a Neutron-Bomb

Oblivious Neutron Bomb
Oblivious Neutron Bomb
Olivia Neutron Bomb.jpg (26.28 KiB) Viewed 5143 times

roger

Post by roger »

Sorry badpenny...............I thought "goose" was universal slang which is defined on the internet as poking a person between the buttocks or "to prod or urge to action".

Also, it sounds like you were around when I was (1955-70) picking up coinops for a few bucks. ROGER
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Sure thing Roger, I used to be young and good looking back then too, I'm glad it's only my youth I've lost!

Of course the verb to goose means exactly what you describe and encompasses more or less why I was expelled from "Jemima Cuttlebuck's Proprietary School for Sons & Daughters of The Easily Offended" Probably just as well really, I was never cut out to be a Biology Teacher.
I was born in 54 and constantly amaze myself that females of all ages still stop in the street and gaze at me in wonder. Come to think of it, everybody seems to do that.
You say you were around (1955-70), what happened? Did you die in 1970? If so you may not know that the following year Rolls Royce went bankrupt! Sad year.
Anyhoo, thanks for confirming that we're on the same track regarding "goose" it was your word "GEASE" that was confuddling me. Following your reply I'm now suspicious that you were groping for (or should that be goosing for?) Geese? Which of course is a country in The Mediterranean area where Turkeys come from. Similar birds you see?

What about this Stockbroker machine of yours? And how did you get afflicted by this damnable hobby?

BP !PUZZLED!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

PS wasn't Olivia Newton John just divine? :o
brigham

Post by brigham »

There's a rail station in Enfield called Turkey Street.
I often wonder if the next street to it is Goose Street or Greece Street!
PS. It's as far as you can go on an Oyster!)
roger

Re: GOOSE the Forum or geese it ???????????

Post by roger »

Apparently, badpenny had the hots for Olivia Newton John.......I much preferred someone closer to my age,

namely, Greer Garson............you may know her better as Mrs. Miniver.

Sorry, I don't have a picture of my former STOCKBROKER machine ROGER
brigham

Post by brigham »

Gertrude Lawrence was more fun...
roger

Post by roger »

It has been some time since I first gave the Forum a "goose" so today's news has given me an idea.... !!IDEA!! !!IDEA!! !!IDEA!!
Surely, every club member collected stamps as a kid. Well, the famous 1 cent British Guiena stamp just sold at Sotheby NY, to a London stamp dealer. Mr. "P" should consider soliciting funds from Club members so as to keep the stamp in the U.K.
We could then gain some great publicity by gifting the stamp to the Queen whose collection is missing this one item.
What do you think of my idea ?????????????????**xXx** **xXx** **xXx** **xXx** ROGER
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Is your British Guiena near to the GEASE you were discussing just under a year ago?
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

brigham wrote:PS. It's as far as you can go on an Oyster!
The image of badpenny sitting on an oyster and looking lugubrious, whist being transported down Turkey Street via said oyster, is beyond visual comprehension. %|%
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I thought that meant looking like a chick pea.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Mr. "P" should consider soliciting funds from Club members so as to keep the stamp in the U.K.
We could then gain some great publicity by gifting the stamp to the Queen whose collection is missing this one item.

Not a good idea. Old British slave economies that continued under absentee slave owners after the abolition of slavery are definitely "out of fashion" at the moment. If all the statues of BP were removed and publicly destroyed it might help (not that he was involved in the slave trade, it would just be a good idea !PEEP! )
roger

Post by roger »

I just heard from the London stamp dealer as referenced in this post. He paid 7 million dollars for the British Guiana stamp and he intends to resell it to the public with fractional share interests.

Never one to lose out on making a quick buck, I just ran out and bought the Brooklyn Bridge of New York fame.

And guess what ??????? I am giving my Forum friends the first opportunity to buy shares in the bridge for just $ 200.00 (while they last).................ROGER (mention my name for a 10% discount) !!YIPPEE!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

badpenny wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:04 pm PS wasn't Olivia Newton John just divine? :o
Oh dear, how sad. :'(

9930f30580d34195e24c1d4eff08ef98.jpg

roger

Post by roger »

4436 [/bVIEWS...........14 POSTS[/b]

How ironic that the death of Olivia would lead us back to the basic theme that:

A Forum is dependent on the contributions of its members ROGER
Last edited by roger on Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
roger

Post by roger »

stockbroker.jpg
stockbroker.jpg (30.12 KiB) Viewed 1432 times

Also, just to set the record straight, here is the slot which I misidentified as "The Stock Broker"..... ..ROGER
brigham

Post by brigham »

Stock Exchange?
That's one of those... those GAMBLING machines, isn't it?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

how true!!
roger
1.8 posts per year roger :lol:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

coppinpr wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:17 am
how true!!
roger
1.8 posts per year roger :lol:
Sometimes it's the difference between quantity and quality that matters at the end of the day.
I should know .... Badpenny Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 12:41
(11.22% of all posts / 1.09 posts per day)