Deci King reel spin?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
ronnie63

Deci King reel spin?

Post by ronnie63 »

I have this deci king and the reels fail to spin! The clock is running ( they usually seize up) Can't see anything obvious, anyone point me to pontential problem please?

Many thanks Ronnie
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Deci King reel spin?

Post by badpenny »

Was it like this when you got it? What did the previous owner fiddle with?
Has it suddenly started doing this? What did you last fiddle with?
Take it out of the case
Place a duster in the clock vane so it won't spin down.
Fire it up
Are the vertical fingers held clear back from the discs?
If not, first check the Dog and Anvil adjustment (https://www.pennymachines.co.uk/Forum/s ... +and+Anvil)
Report back please. So we know how ineffective we are.

BP :cool:
ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

Thanks for the reply.

Like this when I got it! It has stood for some time, I noticed the clock pushes an arm that keeps the pins out of the prize discs, this arem was seized on the pivot! I have freed that but still no spin!

I can't see any signs of tinkering other than very stretched springs on the side of the live jackpot. Also the coin slide is not right, the pin that pops through is stuck back so no coin is needed! Maybe this is all down to lubrication? There is no rust etc involved I was surprized the clock was running as most I have had needed stripped cleaned etc.

I did hold the clock back with the mech on the bench but still no spin! But I can with my hands they seem free enough?

Thanks Ronnie
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Sounds like it needs a strip down, degrease and two coats of looking at.
Once you know the essentials are present and correct then you can start interrogating individual parts like the kicker and essential springs.

BP
ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

Thanks, what I think is the kicker arm (thick shaft running along back of mech?) is slow to return, I have to push it back down before it pulls the arm away from the pay discs at the back? Good thing is I have identical fully working mech to compare.

Thanks again Ronnie
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

No that's not the kicker.
The kicker sits underneath the pay out discs. Just to the right of the pay out tube (looking from the front) As you pull the handle it rolls under the discs and as the mech fires it spins back having engaged with the discs. That makes the reels spin.

If the axle at the back is slow to move, that's not good and reinforces the need to pull it all down and degrease.
ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

Ah, thanks again, never had this problem before! I will remove that arm to de grease and look at the kicker, it clearly not spinning the reels!

I had planned to use sewing machine oil that I use on jukeboxes but looks like grease was used, is that the thing I should use?

Thanks Ronnie
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

No Ronnie, not grease, not never, not no how !!!!!

Grease attracts dirt and dust then dries out, leaving it with all the lubrication qualities of Velcro.
Sewing machine oil is perfect apart from the need to dilute it with orange juice and vodka if planning to drink it in large quantities.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

This question and an age old topic with varying views. I used to ride motorbikes a lot and still do, just for less miles.....most bikers seem to use sticky grease/oil products......horrible stuff and use flick everywhere and always used WD40 :shock: done 100,000+ miles only using this, even all around Europe... Main reason was it cleaned the chain, lubricated and also gave me low wear. I used to get over 20,000 on a chain. Key was, wipe down chain with a rag and reapply every trip. Everyone does things slightly differently....

Google grease v oil or search this site and people will argue this topic for ever. What is certain is most operators used oodles of grease on bandits as it is a lot more reliable for a heavily used machine on high impact or wear parts. It may be messy and if left lying long enough (like 10 years plus) it will turn hard. Biggest problem in using light oil like 3 in 1 is that it is too thin and will dry out on key parts (like my motorcycle experience I used daily). I have stripped and rebuilt bandits, left for a year or two and have to do again and dry as a bone.....

I use both methods, kickers arms I always use grease as the operators did and they are high wear and impact parts, whereas on the kicker bearing light oil. Some parts like clocks and parts that have oil holes obviously designed for light oil.

I also apply very thin grease coating over parts liable to corrode for added protection

I would never say never use grease ;-)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

..... well that's all very well, however when it comes to grease no matter how much you dilute it with orange juice and vodka it is quite unpalatable. !!CHEERS!!
ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

Thanks guys, sewing oil it is then, hate vodka doubt it will mix well with lager!

Going to remove the clock for a better clean as that's still slow to set despite cleaning that shaft.

Can't see the kicker too well because of the live jackpot, maybe removing the reels to get at the gubbins? But not looked how easy that may or may not be?

Cheers Ronnie
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Get your phone and take oodles of photos as you tear it down, or grab your camera and talk to everyone you don't know.
ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

Hi guys, it's been a while! Hope all are well and safe?

At last had time to get to the bottom of this! I managed to swing the live jackpot out of the way and got into the kicker to free it off. Now it's spinning up nicely, so thanks for the pointers on that issue.

Now the next problem! Payouts. All single slide likes of a cherry or lemon do not payout, 2 cherries sometimes! and not all 3 reel wins either. Seems a bit random on 3 and 2 reel wins? I'm getting the five clicks and the vertical fingers are going into the pay discs, so not sure on the issue? I guess my next step is to remove and clean the pay slides?

Thanks Ronnie
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Sounds about right for your next stage Ronnie.
Well done
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

As bp says, definitely the way to go. Once you have removed the coin tube you will be able to see what's going (or not going) on. Check this before removing the slides so you can see the difference once you replace them. Things to look for at that stage are: Does the slide brake come across and hold all the slides back during the wind-up? Are the springs in good condition and pulling on the slides when they release? Is the slide top cover holding back the slides when they should release due to dirt or being too tight?
Then remove the slides, being sure to keep them in the correct order; clean and polish them, but do not use ANY oil. Replace the slides and run the machine while you can still see what's going on.
ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

Thanks guys, will follow that advice and report back.
ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

Right, I removed all the pay slides. They look OK, apart from a bit oily! Just wondered - the bottom pay slide that has the vertical bar at the back is not perfectly at a 45 degrees? Looks to be bent back a bit. Not sure if it should be like that?

I can see with the slides removed, the horizontal finger for the first slide does ping out for a cherry win.

Thanks Ronnie
ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

I went ahead and straightened that first slide with the upright as it seemed bent?

Anyway, put back together and I think I see the problem with the 1 coin wins. The horizontal fingers is getting kicked out before the clock arm has cleared the back of the slides, so blocking the slide from triggering. Sometimes it will trigger, but mostly not. Not sure if the clock needs to be sped up by bending the fins in slightly, or it's some other timing issue?

Thanks Ronnie
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not sure I have understood the last point, maybe I need to re-read thread. So when you get a Cherry win, the bottom horizontal lever is moving away from the slides and as such the lower slide pays outs, which sounds corrects or have I missed something !PUZZLED!
ronnie63

Post by ronnie63 »

Hi treefrog, maybe my explnation was not clear sorry

Yes for 1 cherry the horizontal finger is being kicked out, but it would seem too early? as the arm that moves behind the slides is blocking the slide from tripping at that moment?

Having said that the payout for 1 lemon never kicks the finger out?

I will try and do a video showing the action at the slides during a spin

Thanks Ronnie