eBay return scam

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
scorpa163

eBay return scam

Post by scorpa163 »

Recently sold a cast prize flap from a merchandiser to a guy in Brighton. He complained it did not come with the fixing screws as shown on the photo’s. The other 3 flaps sold with some of the fixing screws, some were missing when I removed them. I offered a partial refund of £4 to buy 4 set screws from a merchant. He declined this, as they were not the originals. I reluctantly agreed a full refund on him returning the item.

The package came (tracked) with a piece of polystyrene inside! No flap. I complained to eBay through the online system and within two hours they ruled in his favour! and they had refunded him. So he had my money and my prize flap.

After I calmed down slightly, I left a message for their customer services to ring me back. They did and after explaining firmly what I thought, I got my money back. But the arsehole has still got the prize flap, for which he paid nothing!
So seller beware.
polaris

Re: eBay return scam

Post by polaris »

Don’t suppose it was the same **** stealing our artwork:)
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not sure a trick you can do too often using the same account as they would pick up on this.

Obviously someone into machines. Perhaps share their eBay account name so we can block the buyer if we sell slot related stuff. ;-)
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Sorry to hear that. Revenge is sweet though, buying a prize flap is quite specific to coin op collecting interests and sharing the eBay account name as treefrog says flags it up to a lot of other collectors.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

sellers have absolutely no rights on eBay, if more unsavory buyers realized this I'm sure there would be considerably more of this type of fraud, I recently sold a brand new sealed item and the buyer said they didn't like it and wanted to return it, I said ok, they kept part of the item and returned a totally different item anyway, eBay found in their favor within an hour, The secret for the buyer to win the case is to return the item tracked and signed for, that is all eBay uses to decide the case, what's in (or not in) the package is of no interest to them.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I suspect it is difficult for eBay to manage as there are bad sellers and bad buyers.....who is telling the truth. All you can do is be as accurate as possible with descriptions, take lots of pictures, ensure you are clear on returns. Problem is eBay is still linked to PayPal who quickly refund with little recourse. If you’re not a business seller and the item is not damaged or badly described, then don’t accept returns. If damaged, ensure you have postage cover if valuable. On high value items I will always use special delivery, it is the only one you are protected on from Royal Mail, other carriers I have heard many others having challenges on refunds.

Of course one thing you do have the buyers address, someone has to be pretty thick to risk potential direct confrontation with someone you really piss off......you have no idea what type of person is on the other end of that postage trail !OMFG!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

treefrog wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:41 aml suspect it is difficult for eBay to manage as there are bad sellers and bad buyers.....who is telling the truth
That's true, but doesn't matter because eBay does not take an even view, the buyer is always right. I am a business seller on eBay and you're dead if you don't offer returns (and free postage for that matter). It always seems strange to me that the seller is always wrong because it's the seller who pours the money into eBay, not the buyer, but I guess it is a catch 22 really, no buyers then no sellers.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

I thought most disputes now are resolved initially by ebay automatically e.g., no human visibility/interaction?

E.g., if the seller pays by PayPal and sends an item by non tracked delivery, then ebay machine automatically sides with the buyer if they claim it was not received.

And in the above case, the machine will initially side with the buyer as they have both a paypal payment receipt and a tracked barcode delivery of a package returned to the seller's address.

The seller always has to then escalate the claim to get human visibility of nuances of the transaction that ebay machine initially either disregards or cannot discern.

Scammers were known to pack a return box with a similar weight to the original item so the postage cost was the same and not the lower postage of an empty box to reinforce the "claim" of return of the original item.

Generally the seller will have to show/prove they've followed any/all of ebay's protocols
to the letter and even then ebay generally will be more likely to side with the buyer.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

That's exactly right, but I've never had an escalated case go the way of the seller. The only time I come out on top is to deal directly with the buyer without involving eBay. This really showed up when I once dealt directly with the buyer who agreed to accept a partial refund. I then thought it would be safest to let eBay deal with the partial refund. Big mistake - eBay gave the buyer a total refund without letting me have any input at all!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

As there are more buyers than sellers, the company saves a fortune by applying brutal economic pragmatism. It's far cheaper to let 'the machine' take precedence over justice, using algorithms to settle the majority of disputes in favour of the buyer, without recource to expensive human mediation.
scorpa163

Post by scorpa163 »

Check this item out on eBay. 164845113999.

The ‘buyer’ of my door Rawdesigns16, who paid with PayPal account Black rose salvage, is now selling MY door in a frame for £450!! under Black rose salvage. And it is mounted with non original bolts! Does anybody know Black Rose Salvage in Brighton area? BEWARE.
Attachments
s-l1600 (2).jpg
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Is it not worth messaging eBay referencing the original dispute when he claimed to have returned it?
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

I saw that listing a few days back

Some unscrupulous buyers can be caught out if the seller marks the item with a security pen with postcode and date. You can then call local nick and ask them to call on the seller and verify if the markings are still present on the item as you believe it was fraudulently obtained.

Long shot, but if markings are still present, it's likely that a paper trail will result in a criminal record for the seller...

Normally I would say don't bother, as the police would see it as non priority, so would take a long time to action. However, as up @ £450, maybe time would be on your side.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

scorpa163 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:16 pm Check this item out on eBay. 164845113999.
I think I might be tempted to buy that........if it's not as described when it arrives you can always return it in and get your money refunded.
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Surely the paintwork will identify it, provided your original listing can be compared to the latest one.