Coventry or Collectors auction

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
treefrog

Coventry or Collectors auction

Post by treefrog »

I did prompt the J’s on the topic around what is happening at the Elephant a few weeks ago on that thread , but may have been missed. Anyway with the latest news from the Elephant house, I am getting the impression there is no plan to start any auctions there any time soon and wondered what the appetite to hold a summer auction this year. Apart from anything else it has been 18 months since any collectors meet has happened and who knows whether we are at risk of a winter lockdown again come November.........so decided to start a new topic.... hopefully we will all be double jabbed as well apart from those not agreeing to do so |/XX\|
scorpa163

Re: Coventry or Collectors auction

Post by scorpa163 »

It would nice if the J’s could run an auction at Coventry, I would certainly support it with a couple of machines. Unsure about Steve’s new idea, still no mention of fees, and closed book bidding surely does not get the maximum amount for the seller. 2 people wanting a particular machine can realise a good sum for the seller.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

scorpa163 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:20 pm It would nice if the J’s could run an auction at Coventry, I would certainly support it with a couple of machines. Unsure about Steve’s new idea, still no mention of fees, and closed book bidding surely does not get the maximum amount for the seller. 2 people wanting a particular machine can realise a good sum for the seller.
Steve has updated his new website with the T&C’s and costs, basically a subscription service, you pay £10 per month to access the site and sell or buy with no other commission.....but it is not an auction, but a sealed bid service for individual items...

My man reason for raising this was the lack of interaction, which for me personally is a big part of the auction experience, not just the buying and selling, in fact I have always been keen on a swap meet type event or even mixed with an auction
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

My view.
Until people are allowed to enter pubs and public places, I don't fancy trying to hold an auction outside in a car park.
Fair enough we are being told there is a road map showing dates for the next stages, but the last year and a bit has taught me about counting chickens from unhatched eggs.
The moment we plan to release a date we'll start spending money, we lost money 2020 which is a pastime I don't relish.
I accept the Government has every intention of returning us to some form of normality asap. Yet where I live we've witnessed 14 months of almost criminal stupidity from the masses.
I fully understand everyone's enthusiasm to see an auction, I also recognise enough variables outside of anyone's control that could quickly reverse a decision at short notice. The two most common which would likely stop everything and probably be first to be reimplemented being: -
- Clamp down on travelling
- Ban on indoor events or restriction on numbers attending.

Just my pre-decimal penny worth which also covers any plans on a Spares Event in Derby.

BP :!?!:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

That’s that then...... :!?!:

I suspect with the lack of auctions and crazy high prices, it is just as easy to sell at normal auctions at the moment, plus you don’t have to drive for 3 or 4 hours.......I will be attending my first one next week, back to normality thank god :cool:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That's only my opinion TF.
Soon one weekend, I may end up sitting on my own at home while it's all going on in Coventry and/or Derby.
JC and/or MH might suddenly announce they're intentions and put me to shame.
One of you guys may decide to do something.

I fear this situation could well keep bouncing back for a while yet.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

badpenny wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:17 pm That's only my opinion TF.
Soon one weekend, I may end up sitting on my own at home while it's all going on in Coventry and/or Derby.
JC and/or MH might suddenly announce they're intentions and put me to shame.
One of you guys may decide to do something.

I fear this situation could well keep bouncing back for a while yet.
Personally I believe life has to move in and we need to live with not against the virus. It will be like flu and many other viruses where we have adapted.....no doubt we will get our jabs every 6 months or annually.

It’s funny you see very few people selling machines on the Facebook groups, maybe the reason for the demand

Anyway keeping my fingers crossed 🤞
JC

Post by JC »

Sorry Tom, I did see that you'd mentioned a 'Summer Coventry' recently on another thread - I had intended to reply but have a lot going on at the moment and it just got forgotten. Anyway, I have two major problems:
1. Just over a year ago, I got my fingers very seriously burnt having totally wasted many weeks organising an auction, which I subsequently had to cancel just six days before the event. If I ever do it again, I shall need to be damn sure that nothing's going to go wrong. Frankly, at the moment, I don't have that confidence.
2. Although my Mechanical Memories arcade is now closed, I shall still be operating machines in Brighton - at my 'Number 2' arcade, where I shall hopefully be able to open on 17th May. It won't be anywhere near as time consuming as previously, but I shall still need to go down to Brighton a couple of days a week during the summer months, and probably more during the school holidays. So a summer auction doesn't really fit in with that, although I wouldn't totally rule it out.
Anyway, let's see how things pan out over the next couple of months, but at the moment I think it's too early to be making plans.

Jerry
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I agree totally with you TF, "life has to move on and we need to live with not against the virus."
However I don't think we're there yet, and neither is it our decision to make.
All the while we keep bouncing between hopeful news and good predictions then back into doom and gloom, the less likely The Government are to stop knee jerk reacting.
Of course everyone of us has a different view point based on personal circumstances.
You're a young dude, good looking, years ahead of you and the world to conquer.
I'm an old fart, in my latter 60s, diabetic, mad as a coot, my body has bits that either drop off or joints that sound like a bag of old spanners being thrown around a drum factory by a baby elephant. I am what the authorities describe as in the high risk band.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Nonsense, BP. You're a young and vital rounder with a full head of hair and ruddy cheeks. Anyone who opines otherwise is just blowing smoke and will have to deal with me! !!BOXER!!

Keep the faith and the good humor rolling.

J Peterson
Patience, USA
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

JC wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:27 pm Although my Mechanical Memories arcade is now closed, I shall still be operating machines in Brighton - at my 'Number 2' arcade, where I shall hopefully be able to open on 17th May. It won't be anywhere near as time consuming as previously, but I shall still need to go down to Brighton a couple of days a week during the summer months, and probably more during the school holidays. So a summer auction doesn't really fit in with that, although I wouldn't totally rule it out.
Anyway, let's see how things pan out over the next couple of months, but at the moment I think it's too early to be making plans.

Jerry

I didn’t know you had a second arcade, is it listed in the resources.......hopefully the arcade owners who have survived will have a bumper late summer this year and no reason not to with millions of extra tourists stuck with staycations

Having spoken to a few people, everyone I suspect everyone is looking forward the next get together, roll on 2022 |/XX\| BP I am catching up with you fast, something happens to your body at 50, it seems to run out of steam !!STEER!!
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

badpenny wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:35 pm
I'm an old fart, in my latter 60s, diabetic, mad as a coot, my body has bits that either drop off or joints that sound like a bag of old spanners being thrown around a drum factory by a baby elephant. I am what the authorities describe as in the high risk band.

I think you may need to work on this profile before going live on Tinder !
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

clearly, BP has been sending photoshopped photos to the USA, the only "ruddy cheeks" on BP would be at the other end of his body and I for one would rather not see those.

As for the auction situation, it's good Tom has started a thread, there has to be a first point of interest even if it's too early to make big plans, it's a start and that's a good thing.
It seems to me that the key thing to overcome first is confidence in venue availability, without concrete available dates with a money-back or free re-booking option it would be crazy to set anything up. My daughter is a large scale event planner dealing with large conferences and, along with the big hotels, has been in consultation with the relevant gov departments more and more over the last 5 or six weeks and have now been told to plan for a full reopening of venues by July...unless there is a third wave! so in other words, it might or might not happen, nothing new there then. Booking dates at major venues from November onwards are all but fully booked but this is because all the big companies are offering full refunds if it all goes "up the pictures" again. So the key would seem to be the risk is less (but not without risk) once a venue can be booked with a financial safety net, any venue not offering that is frankly taking the p***. I myself booked British airways flights yesterday to Sicily in Oct ..but only because they were (a) £69 and (b) guaranteed refundable or movable, it may very well not happen but once again it's that first step towards getting back to normal (and living with the virus) and the risk seems acceptable :!?!:
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

JC wrote:Just over a year ago, I got my fingers very seriously burnt having totally wasted many weeks organising an auction, which I subsequently had to cancel just six days before the event.
Really sorry to learn of that Jerry and I hear what you say Paul about venues being booked with a financial safety net but we all know that these type of events are not risk free in normal times. However, it was not that long ago that to attend the Coventry auction a fee of £4 was charged for the programme, (or have you all forgot) would this be too contentous to reintroduce?
If collectors and slot enthusiasts want these events run for them, then I suggest they help out the few, who make it happen for the many.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I assume if the fee for the club was non refundable, it maybe because when booked we had no pandemic at the time. Things have changed and most people are considering this now and being more flexible on refunds and can be checked in advance. A while back I remember looking up halls for hire, of which there are thousands, nearly every village hall looks for extra income and they vary in size and facilities, most having parking, toilets and table availability and support clubs and collectors use. Also looked at prices and most never were more than £100 for a whole day, often around £10 an hour. There are at least two sites hosting thousands of halls for hire around the country from 100 occupancy to many thousands, I can’t find the bigger site at the moment, but this is one of the versions.

https://www.hallshire.com/halls/view/38 ... llage-hall

Whether one charges an entrance fee or not may not address the issue, as you know when Jerry use to chase people, everyone leaves it to the last minute and he has to book the hall way in advance....anyway, suspect my main point was if the usual place is not flexible, there maybe many other choices...

I notice first machines being listed on Steve’s new site, but no clarity yet on how the subscription will work, will be interesting as if for example there is a minimum year subscription, so £120, it may put off some people not knowing what may turn up over following months, we will see I guess......
JC

Post by JC »

Sorry, but you're all missing the point. Any refund for the venue is frankly irrelevant - I can live with losing a hundred pounds or so. But who pays for my time? People really do think that it all just 'happens' on the day. Well, it doesn't. An enormous amount of work goes into every auction, many weeks beforehand. Imagine going to work every day for a month, including copious amounts of overtime, working late evenings, into the early hours sometimes, weekends......and then your boss says "sorry pal, I'm not paying you." Well, that's what happened last March, and that's why I shall not be running another auction until I'm damn certain it's not going to be cancelled.