Penny arcade on TV

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
moonriver

Re: Penny arcade on TV

Post by moonriver »

jimmycowman wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:00 pm It's a shame there's not a vintage arcade at Blackpool any more. I'd say it's the biggest seaside resort in the UK.
They're only viable in high footfall locations. High footfall locations of any decent size in Blackpool are expensive and not cost effective to operate an old penny arcade.
Southport Pier is an exception as it takes so long to get to the arcade at the end of the pier it's a bit of a captive audience with no competition.
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

But the new museum in Blackpool is on the sea front
What i was trying to say is anyone wants to approach them for an opportunity .... i don't have the time with my day job unfortunately .... but the penny arcade could make a mini fortune for both partners ( them and you ) even if it was a pop up like 1 month exhibit .. every so often ( march to November would be great :) )

anyway i have scattered the seeds so lets have a penny arcade in Blackpool ( funded by someone other than ourselves ) :)

all the best ... dicky
mr merrivale

Post by mr merrivale »

There have been three old penny arcades in Blackpool and all have closed for one reason or another. I had a chance to move my entire collection to a top attraction a year or two back but spent a few days looking and meetings I decided it was not a viable idea so please any body thinking of opening an old penny arcade do your home work and you're welcome to ask my advice.
Last edited by mr merrivale on Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Without being nosey, if you thought it was viable, what made you decide not to.
BP :cool:
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

typo error I think
mr merrivale

Post by mr merrivale »

Opps should have read NOT viable sorry
mr merrivale

Post by mr merrivale »

I have been told there has been a fourth old penny arcade Blackpool that has come and gone.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

dickywink wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:25 pm But the new museum in Blackpool is on the sea front
What i was trying to say is anyone wants to approach them for an opportunity .... i don't have the time with my day job unfortunately .... but the penny arcade could make a mini fortune for both partners ( them and you ) even if it was a pop up like 1 month exhibit .. every so often ( march to November would be great :) )

anyway i have scattered the seeds so lets have a penny arcade in Blackpool ( funded by someone other than ourselves ) :)

all the best ... dicky
Most people assume arcades are a licence to print money, but it's hard to do well. There are some advantages in operating old penny arcades over modern arcades, since the competition is low. The nostalgic draw of playing vintage pre decimal machines trump modern machines as the customer base are predominately families with small children, or grandparents , and since the children have never seen the like before they're up for playing. Nostalgia overcomes all, and old penny arcades are always well received.
Inside the arcade the choice of machines is critical, as is the overall quantity, and the mix, and the variety of games. Speculate to accumulate is key to operating cranes and merchandisers. The public is so conditioned to losing on cranes that when a grab actually does grab, and actually does deliver the sweet they can't quite believe it. The effect of this is refreshing to see, and carrying out armfuls makes for very happy returning families led by the kids own choice to us, instead of elsewhere. Where most old penny arcades fail are down to insufficient machines and the wrong approach.
scorpa163

Post by scorpa163 »

I’ve called at Moonriver's arcade several times with my 5 year old grandson who loves playing on the cranes, as he wins every time. Due to blue tack on the grab, little does he know that the penny sweet cost grandad 15 pence. BUT his reaction is priceless. (I do need to get my crane working). That’s what brings people back to play them.
It has a good selection of machines. The Bryan’s Penny Go Round switches itself on via a PIR as you go past inviting you to play.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Where is moonriver's arcade?
brigham

Post by brigham »

Bingley, near Bradford.
It inspired the decor of my own little (private) attempt.
Some great machines, but it does lack a Little Stockbroker or two!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

brigham wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:57 pm Bingley, near Bradford.
It inspired the decor of my own little (private) attempt.
Some great machines, but it does lack a Little Stockbroker or two!
Haha, won't be using a Little Stockbroker as they get complaints for the reel not spinning properly, and then once you've persuaded them it's meant to be like that, the MOST complaints follow for it not having paid out. By the time they've gone to complain and returned, someone else has run off with their win!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

moonriver wrote:The public is so conditioned to losing on cranes
You are so right moonriver, we have just returned from taking the grandchildren on holiday and they wanted to play the cranes but I (successfully) persuaded them not to and to prove the point we watched to see how the machines performed - awful! not one punter walked away with a prize (we must have seen dozens of attempts) and when the crane successfully grabbed an item the forks were so weak that it slipped out before the item reached the win chute, the disappointment on the faces of the children playing was so palpable, a number of parents commented, 'its a con' or 'its fixed'.
Are these forks adjustable to give such a weak grab?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

There is an electronic unit inside that only allows the solenoid that provides the grip to activate now and again.
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

Yep ... dis ... a ... pointing .... no fun :D

Remember taking my Kids to Blackpool and they wanted toy from a crane £10 later ... no toy and crying kids

Saw this recently on YT .... shows how bad these things are and sorry but i had to turn the volume down to watch :D

all the best .... Dicky
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

badpenny wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:23 pm There is an electronic unit inside that only allows the solenoid that provides the grip to activate now and again.
Yes, modern cranes are % controlled. If you look closely at the top of the grab there is a star shaped cam that turns determining the grip (or not). Manufacturers used to have the crane processors programmed to allow the claws to grab initially and then 'accidentally' drop the prize before game completion, but the Gambling Commission stepped in and outlawed this, resulting in the rather pathetic no grip claws effect (unless on a predetermined win). The outlet on the crane has optic sensors that count prizes out so it can track % payout.
Amusement venues that cater for tourists are usually the least likely to have higher % payouts.

*Notice on the previous video of the crane picking up and then deliberately dropping the prize. Seems like the unauthorised programmes are back! Not a particularly high priority for the beleaguered GC.
The cheese shaped weight to release the monkey pivots on different activated electromagnets as it slowly moves forward, which hold it from falling before it is required to do so and yet allow it to move slightly. Again it's % controlled.