Streets Shooter Conversion

General vintage slot machine related topics.
steinslots

Streets Shooter Conversion

Post by steinslots »

Topic moved from Tips & Tricks - Site Admin.

A while back I briefly discussed one of my first projects for Stein Electronics was the 'Shoot Dem Bones' shooter revamp for the Darrell Hesketh museum collection.
It had already been established that the original 240v stylus/contact mechanism was both an electrical hazard and the cause of a small fire on the premises.

The 'target' switches I chose were in the form of reed switches masked-off with steel plates to provide a small magnetic 'window'. As these couldn't supply the solenoids directly I used a PIC microcontroller (basically like an Arduino, but I was using these PIC's about 10 years before Arduinos were even thought of - just saying). The controller managed the coin credits, game play, solenoid action and I decided to add some sounds too. This was 2002, and the MP3 player technology which I would use nowadays just didn't exist, and so this incorporated the latest ISD analogue sound storage technology of the time, the same on-chip analogue sound storage which I was using on the fairground announcers and ghost trains. I also added a 'Bonus Round': These targets were similar to pinball drop targets having a common reset coil, but as each targets also has an individual 'drop' solenoid I could get them to do different stuff.

I could easily build or convert another one of these, or even make a 'Kit'. I'd use hall-effect or optical switches for the stylus and I'd use an MP3 player with some background sounds.

Anyway, I've found some rare photo's of the internals which I had forgotten about until now!

Please feel free to ask questions or advice or whatever on converting the Streets shooters like Duck Hunt, Shoot Dem Bones and the other one having a name with a slightly racist overtone...
Attachments
000_0093.jpg
Stylus magnet
Stylus magnet
Detail of electrical earthing and gun mount
Detail of electrical earthing and gun mount
Inside the controller
Inside the controller
Original 'death trap' controller, still in place for any who dare to use it!
Original 'death trap' controller, still in place for any who dare to use it!
Reed switch stylus detail
Reed switch stylus detail
000_0075.jpg
moonriver

Re: Streets Shooter Conversion

Post by moonriver »

Darren's machine is still working well too!
It's Cromptons (not Streets). I converted my Pussy Shooter too and made electrically safe, and added sound and red LED eyes to the cats which look great as they 'wink' as the contacts make and break. Also, 10 seconds is way too short, so added some time on, and made the cats flip back up again almost immediately after they're shot down. They take really good money.
It's amazing how many of these are still operated commercially with their original power supply and many other similar machines that are still using 240 volts throughout and often directly to the coin mech switch.
As Kenneth Williams uttered in Carry on Screaming........"Frying Tonight!"
steinslots

Cromptons Shooter Conversion

Post by steinslots »

EEK!
Holding onto that gun with sweaty paws as you jump around with 240 muscle spasms would probably go un-noticed......until the HSE inquest!
BTW: In the case of a fatal shock the Health & Safety executive are very efficient at hunting down the person responsible and bringing them to justice.
If the last person to work on the wiring was a proper electrician he is more likely to get a stiffer penalty than for instance a company owner because sparky's should have known better - Or as a judge might put it: 'The death would have been have prevented had he recognised the danger of live parts coming into contact with the machines external metalwork' and that....

Yeh Cromptons, that's what I meant.....BTW I have a load of 4mb MP3 players I bought by mistake (enough for 20 seconds of quality sounds in total, probably 30sec in mono). I thought they were 4GB! I suppose I'll use them for some oddball custom jobs like pinball sounds.
brigham

Post by brigham »

I'm actually a vintage machine collector, rather than operator, so this to me is just another old machine lost.
steinslots

Post by steinslots »

Case solved then :didact:
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Awesome work. I have a few projects that are in the undecided column - rebuild the crusty old dangerous internals or update. It is great to see it being done
brigham

Post by brigham »

I've never particularly wanted to own one of these, yet, out of the blue, I'm offered a Cheyenne!
Looks to be all there. Are they worth £700?
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

It's only money........... fill yer boots.