Long stored Mills mech reels don't spin

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
tammy

Re: Long stored Mills mech reels don't spin

Post by tammy »

I have had this to bits so please help. Is this the right way, as now to go on with the long bottom part that goes to the front to push the slides back. Just needs putting on and the nut tightening? I.e., should it have the longer bit to the front of the machine or the back please?
I have ordered a spring puller tool to help pull the big spring on.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I don't know the answer to your question I'm afraid and have no Mills bandit to compare it with... but for what it's worth, the Mills Operator's Companion identifies this part as E125, the Slide Push Bar Assembly.
Attachments
E125.jpg
chopper

Post by chopper »

The part that looks like it should have a spring on it is just a lever for sometimes when the pulling arm is not catching a cog. It just resets it. Saves taking the mech out. Also with strong springs I use a boot lace to pull them in place.
tammy

Post by tammy »

Thank you for your reply and diagram, they help a lot. I tried pulling the spring with nylon string but isn't easy to hook on. Also bought a heavy duty spring puller and it's ok but I have the same problem on hooking it in, as the tool takes up too much room. Thank you
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

If all else fails, hook the spring puller to one of the coils below the loop, then it won't block the loop.

The reassembly of the slide push bar will always be a bit fiddly. If you were building the machine up from scratch this part goes in quite early when you have loads of room to manoeuvre, so as the mech stands now it's not that easy. As far as the owner's guide shows the LONG end goes to the back.
Last edited by coppinpr on Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tammy

Post by tammy »

Does this look right to put on this way with the longest length going to the front? Come on you Mills bandit experts... or should the shorter bit go to the front to push the payout slides back? Any tips to get the spring back on too? I really am having problems please help!

See my picture of payout slide pushback on page one of comments please!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

As I said, the LONG end faces the back as it appears in the owner's guide.
tammy

Post by tammy »

Thank you coppinpr. I just need to turn bottom bit around before putting in slots so as you say the longest length is at the back... Will have a go later tomorrow.

Thank you also for the idea with the spring puller.
tammy

Post by tammy »

Spend yet a number of hours on trying to put the bar that pushes the payout slides back as its been described..couldnt get the spring on it..and not sure if it on this machine is right with the long section of the slide pusher to the back as it doesnt even get anywhere now near the slides for pushing back the slides?..seems alot out of the back area of the slot too now!
I am sorry if i am not very good on bandit problems..i am more knowledgable on allwins!
May have to leave it until someone local whos a good knowledge of mills mechs can help me!
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Here are a couple of pics of how it should fit.
Attachments
20210202_134608a.jpg
20210202_142229a.jpg
tammy

Post by tammy »

Thank you special when lit. I was going to give up and wait to find someone to sort it... but your pictures are clear and encourage me again, so will have a go in a day or two!
The rest of it runs well as they were in really rusty seized state when I bought them. I have put two pictures on of the two I bought. They literally took me days and days and after a long time I nearly used to wish I hadn't bought them and took them on.
Attachments
20210927_162441a.jpg
20211004_172343a.jpg
20211004_172349a.jpg
tammy

Post by tammy »

Oh, thank you Special When Lit for your two pictures. I was putting the part where the screw goes in the wrong way 'round. No wonder I couldn't get the spring on. I used the spring puller then to hook the spring in... and it's going, and paying out well... Very addictive to keep putting old pennies in.
Thank you yet again, as I thought this morning it was a 'lost cause'!
tammy
tammy

Post by tammy »

Just need two of the pull handle screw on knobs has anyone got 2 spares to sell me?
Attachments
20211013_132326a.jpg
20211013_132114a.jpg
20211013_132100a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

snooker balls

Drill an 'ole and glue 'em on.
Attachments
SnookerBalls-1.jpg
tammy

Post by tammy »

Thank you badpenny, but think I will wait to see who has some originals hanging about from stripped salvaged machines... Don't fancy trying to drill holes in snooker balls!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

so those two machines are Boland machines?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Only the mechs are Mills type.
Here's one I moved through the Coventry auction some years back. It was the most basic of case construction and reminiscent of Aristocrat design of that time.

IMG_2588a.jpg

The single reel looks Tom Boland'ish, except I've found them to be far more decorative in looks.
Like this one I moved through the same auction .....

IMG_2581a.jpg

BP
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I reckon these brutalist bandits may have been Tom Boland's last gasp before turning his attention exclusively to operating machines in the 1970s. The single reel example lends weight to the theory. We already discussed the slightly earlier-looking Spinning Reels type which sport a 'Deluxe" name tag in the same font as Tammy's bandits.

Paul Braithwaite wrote:Removal of gaming restrictions in 1960 allowed an immediate growth of new manufacturing industry and the consequent collapse in demand for converted machines. At this point Boland returned to operating machines and in 1973 was at 284 Elland Road. In 1980 he remained resident at 33 Gipsy Lane, Beeston, Leeds.
The point being, Tom Bolland was still active in the business very late on. Why would he turn out a single reeler in the '70s? Maybe he was left with some unsold converted mechs to shift when the rules changed.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I remember being offered a van load of those.
The majority of them had no cash tray, but evidence of originally being mounted in a console type stand.
Also sporting badges that said "Pace". Which as we know was a much abused and altered name up until the late 60s.

BP
tammy

Post by tammy »

Oh thanks for that info'. Boland and Mills mechs does now seem to sound right! I remember in the early 1960s at the Hull Fair where the vintage machines were always in great numbers, they not only used the existing buildings but also purpose penny arcade structure buildings. They even used to have some vintage machines fastened to things in the open... Towards the bottom of the long Walton Street where the fair is, running along the side of the park, a long tin-structured building was absolutely full of all the popular 1940s, '50s and '60s machines, even many of the electro-mechanical sorts, including 3d Jockey Derbys, Lester Pigot, etc.
Quite a few of these two machines that I have were in there. Cornie Island or something similar they called that long arcade.
I remember playing on them thinking at the time they have been made in slightly cheaper cases but great fun they still are!... Happy days aye!