Making cabinets

General vintage slot machine related topics.
geordy55

Making cabinets

Post by geordy55 »

I’m sure it’s been asked before but where do people get their oak from if they have to make a new cabinet ?

I’ve noticed some cabinets are made out of several planks glued together but some are made in one piece.

Would love to know people's thoughts.
rneccano

Re: Making cabinets

Post by rneccano »

I've loads of oak in many sizes and make my own cabinets.
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

I've used old oak furniture... book shelves are often best. You can find them in second hand shops or auction rooms... usually go pretty cheap.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It sometimes pays to get friendly with an antique dealer or two, particularly those that do house clearances. They sometimes pick up damaged furniture beyond profitable repair/restoration which they can pass on to you for 'scrap value'. That said, of course, nice figured oak of decent length, width and 3/4"+ thick (which is what you'll need) is also in demand by the antique trade. As livinginthepast says, second hand/charity shops are worth a visit.
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

rneccano wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:34 pm I've loads of oak in many sizes and make my own cabinets.
Where do you get the oak from ?
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

I’d come to the conclusion that old furniture was probably what people used and you’ve just confirmed this for me.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Of no use now I'm sorry to say.
However, prior to the first lockdown, The Water Tower Antiques at Hemswell Cliff antiques centre (just up the road from you) was the place.
It's where all the unwanted brown furniture ended up before burning.

However during Covid it went bust and has resurfaced as a high end retail antique and collectors emporium. It even has slot machines, which he clearly doesn't want to sell (no prices and the staff don't know) Which is a pity as I fancied the Extraordinary he had.

BP