Peter Simper Atlantic fruit machine

General vintage slot machine related topics.
runner

Peter Simper Atlantic fruit machine

Post by runner »

I picked up a Peter Simper Atlantic model fruit machine from Bristol yesterday. I travelled a fair few miles to collect it. It had been stored outside in a yard, the only thing protecting it from the elements was some aluminium sheets. I knew what kind of condition it was going to be in before I got there. The chap who was advertising the machine for sale was asking £50, though he said that he would take offers on it. In the end I got it for free, he was just happy for me to take it to create some space.

The pictures of the machine were taken right after I had removed it from my car, so not even wiped it down yet. It needs a new piece of wood on the top as this is rotten. The door of the machine had been closed so the insides are not too bad. I noticed that at the power source the wires have been cut, so would need to fix that to see if it powers up or not.

There are no pictures online that I can find of this particular model. Going off the high win payouts, I believe this to be a club version, reading what other people have said about these machines. I have two capital model machines already and when I noticed this one for sale, curiosity got the better of me, as I wanted to see the inside workings of the machine, and of course to see if it worked or not. The seller had mentioned to me that if nobody came for it soon that he would be taking it to the recycling centre, so it became a bit of a mercy mission to save the machine.
Attachments
DSCF5052a.jpg
DSCF5050a.jpg
DSCF5048a.jpg
DSCF5047a.jpg
DSCF5049a.jpg
DSCF5046a.jpg
Last edited by runner on Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dickywink

Re: Peter Simper Atlantic fruit machine

Post by dickywink »

Hi Runner
Nice find. I'm surprised the glasses and artwork are in such good condition for something stored outside. As it says inside, 'convert between 6d and 5p', I'm guessing it was made circa 1972... but this actually has some PCBs and electronics inside... Quite a surprise for a machine of this year...

You have hell of a restoration project on your hands... so I wish you good luck and hope to see the grand results of your work.

All the best... Dicky
runner

Post by runner »

Thanks Dicky
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

I wouldn't dare even connect it to mains... So best of luck, but be very careful too!

Is that bottom artwork screenprinted glass?
runner

Post by runner »

Aristomatic,
I just added another photo - it is of the wires coming from the power supply that have been cut, and the plastic connector which I assume would marry together with another plastic connector. Where would I get hold of the correct connector? Or should I cut the existing connector off and solder all of the wiring together? I don't know if the artwork is screen printed or not. How would you begin to go about it?
Thanks.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Wrong person to ask I'm afraid LOL! Use search menu to find similar threads...

Re: Peter Simper machines

There's an ex engineer on above thread that left his email who could maybe
assist you or put you in touch with likeminded others or await response from
other forum members who may have worked on or currently own PS Models.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

The pins in those plastic sockets are held in place by small prongs, there are various small tools for each type and size that allow you to remove the pins and replace with new. Head down to your local DIY electronics store with a sample and they'll have what you need.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

runner wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:45 pm Where would I get hold of the correct connector? Or should I cut the existing connector off and solder all of the wiring together
Suspect you might be struggling to get similar connectors. You might need to resort to getting a new style connect to replace or simply solder the wires. I’m assuming your confident working with mains wiring etc otherwise prob not a good project !
runner

Post by runner »

gameswat wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:21 pm The pins in those plastic sockets are held in place by small prongs, there are various small tools for each type and size that allow you to remove the pins and replace with new. Head down to your local DIY electronics store with a sample and they'll have what you need.
Thank you gameswat
geofflove wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:11 pm You might need to resort to getting a new style connect to replace or simply solder the wires.
Thanks Geoff