Allwin Double Your Money

General vintage slot machine related topics.
corey

Philip Shefras Double You Money

Post by corey »

Topic copied from: Double My Money! (Introductions) - Site Admin.

Hey all!

I recently inherited a Double Your Money allwin and am pretty interested in getting it fixed up, and am sure you folks will be able to give me some tips.
It's been sat in an attic for the past 20 years after being purchased at auction. I did some poking around the forum before joining and believe it's Philip Shefras? (correct me if I'm wrong!)

As far as I can tell, everything is original though there are two missing slides for the 2 and 3 payouts.
The casing isn't in a terrible condition, though it's got some paint marks on it and scuffs that I want to get cleaned up, and the top lock was pried open before auction so there's some damage to the wood there also. I don't have a key for it, but was able to pick the lock myself to get it to close without having to cause more damage to the case.

Apologies for short original post, it was posted by the mods on my behalf while I was having registration issues.
Attachments
IMG_20200705_164432a.jpg
IMG_20200714_194933a.jpg
Last edited by corey on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geofflove

Re: Double My Money!

Post by geofflove »

What do you want fixing up about it and where are you?
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Nice looking machine Corey. Looks OK externally. Is it all there internally?
corey

Post by corey »

arrgee wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:02 pm Nice looking machine Corey. Looks OK externally. Is it all there internally?
Just updated the post with an internals picture. Seems to be there for the most part besides the coin slides for the 2 and 3 payout.
geofflove wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:28 pm What do you want fixing up about it and where are you?
There's some scuffs on the wood and a couple of paint marks, along with the missing slides mentioned above, but overall a proper clean of the internals would do some good also since the mechanisms are a bit stiff as you can imagine. I'm in Manchester, but willing to go out of my way to get it into good shape.
corey

Post by corey »

After doing a bit of tinkering this afternoon, I realised that the coin slide was replaced to adapt it to use 1p instead of a 1d.
Other than that most of the machine is in decent shape, just seems to need oiling if anybody has any recommendations on that?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Sounds like it's ready to double your money! A light machine oil (sewing machine, 3-in-One etc.) would be fine. Keep it off the slide, if you don't want oily fingers and coins.
brigham

Post by brigham »

From the picture, it would seem that only one slide is still in use, with the multiple-payouts disconnected.
Are the other slides still there? They may have had the operating lugs cut off.
The 'bridges' for the two higher pays are present, folded down, which is a bonus. My 'Jackpot', by the same maker, had lost the bridge, leaving Jackpot wins paying 2, same as the rest.
Of course, these are minor niggles, mere fine-tuning in comparison with the giant squid at the breakfast table:
The machine is still on New Penny!
corey

Post by corey »

pennymachines wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:45 pm Sounds like it's ready to double your money! A light machine oil (sewing machine, 3-in-One etc.) would be fine. Keep it off the slide, if you don't want oily fingers and coins.

Thanks! I've got some 3-in-one coming tomorrow so will give that a go and see how it turns out.
brigham wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:50 am From the picture, it would seem that only one slide is still in use, with the multiple-payouts disconnected.
Are the other slides still there? They may have had the operating lugs cut off.

Sadly the slides and operating lugs are all missing, the first lug actually seems to be what should have been the second lug as it bends down to compensate for the higher slide and so doesn't actually catch the mechanism, in the meantime I've padded the bottom of it slightly to raise it up and allow it to pay out.

Do you know if there are any recommended places for replacements? I saw a forum member used to have a site but it hasn't been open for a long time by the looks of things.

brigham wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:50 am Of course, these are minor niggles, mere fine-tuning in comparison with the giant squid at the breakfast table:
The machine is still on New Penny!

Yeah, I'm a bit gutted about that really. If I can find an original coin slide I'll definitely be replacing it.
double

Allwin Double Your Money

Post by double »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hello, just purchased a pretty complete Double Your Money game and joined your forum. I’m seeking advice, guidance, and wisdom. The attached are photos of my machine, front and back. I have half a dozen questions. For starters, are there resources available for this game? Thank you
Attachments
6F687199-2877-4A7F-B196-F4F0D41910D4a.jpg
D8C5F80E-02C8-43DC-912D-5EFD10226FFAa.jpg
brigham

Re: Allwin Double Your Money

Post by brigham »

A Shefras machine, I would say, but I'm not sure which one.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Answer is in the title…….

Re: Philip Shefras? allwins
Attachments
B514EE69-A099-4583-AE5A-1B6CB9E4E1C0.jpeg
B514EE69-A099-4583-AE5A-1B6CB9E4E1C0.jpeg (70.17 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
brigham

Post by brigham »

Now THAT doesn't have the Shefras control panel...
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Brigham, they did two types: full and not full.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

The Shefras machines have really well engineered mechanisms, although it's the only allwin mech (that I have seen) that utilises a nylon/plastic component (end of the coin release wire).
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

double wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:58 pm I have half a dozen questions. For starters, are there resources available for this game?
Fire away! The only resources you're likely to find are the knowledgeable folk here. The top glasses on these are screen printed on glass. With patience and a steady hand, these can be very effectively replicated by back-painting on glass using cut out stencils and car paint spray cans.

There are several designs to choose from...

double

Proper Coin for Allwin Double Your Money

Post by double »

What is the proper coin for this machine? I mistakenly tried the new penny.
Attachments
7407E6A5-E9C5-477E-9645-FAE5FADF062Ca.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Proper Coin for Allwin Double Your Money

Post by pennymachines »

The original coin is the big old British 31mm diameter bronze pre-decimal penny.
Attachments
penny.jpg
double

Post by double »

My machine is like the middle picture. And in the short time I’ve been with y’all, I’ve learned my machine is 98 percent complete. My bride found this game hanging on a wall in an antique shop in Murphy, North Carolina and asked me if I was interested. Purchase price $125 USD.

Here goes! Looking for….
a picture of the key for the case
a picture of the hinges for the money box
a picture of the lock and key for the money box
a picture of the inside of the money box
years this machine was issued
what type of wood is the case, I’m guessing white oak

Thank you
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Double, there are no hinges for the money box. As with most allwins, the cash door merely slotted into a grove on one side of the cabinet and was locked on the other. The locks were often simple 'cam locks' that can still be purchased today (although maybe not from the original lock manufacturer). The inside of the money box was often just an empty space, some machines had metal money trays to pull out but I do not know if this particular Shefras machine had one.

What a lovely bride - $125 USD for a machine like this is a great price, it would fetch at least 4 to 5 times that in UK
double

Post by double »

Roger that on the coin box hinge, lock, and inside view, I can be creative and rebuild an appropriate door.

What type of wood was used for the case?

Is there a picture of the key for the case door lock? An image will help locating a replacement.

Thanks