Finding some nickels

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
geofflove

Finding some nickels

Post by geofflove »

A seemingly surprisingly difficult task.

I’ve just taken delivery of a nice Pace bantam bandit working on 5 cent coins. I now need a good bucket of coins to use with it!

Unlike the UK changing their coins these haven’t changed since the 1800s so I just need a load of currently 5 cent coins. How do you get them in the uk though? Searching online just points me to buying historic coins at a lot more than 5 cents per coin!

I’m thinking the only solution might be to find someone in the USA to go to the bank, change a load of dollars in 5 cent coins, parcel them up and send them over!

Anyone know an easier way?!

Thanks
treefrog

Re: Finding some nickels

Post by treefrog »

Colcon has selling coins and a few lots of nickels has sold. Also worth checking eBay, they do come up.

I have 3 or 4 rolls of nickels I must get rid of as I don’t do US coinage machine, not my bag ;-)
highfield

Post by highfield »

I have some you are welcome to due to bringing loose change home from trips to USA.
Will look for you tomorrow
highfield

Post by highfield »

Found 46, pm me your address and will post to you. Not many but it’s a start
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

If machine needs decals, parts or parts upgrade or maybe buying a manual?
then US parts or manual supplier may well help and post coins in same box
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Just for reference, the US Postal Service will not legally allow US coins to be mailed out of the US. I know because I tried to send $10 worth of nickels to a friend in the UK. When I declared the contents of the package as required to the Postal Service employee, she said "Sorry. You cannot send coins out of the US." Bummer. The option would be to lie when asked about the contents of the package. Not a reasonable option in my opinion. Just think about the exchange in prison: "What you in for?" "Mailing nickels to Great Britain."

J Peterson
Nickelback, USA
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

I have $50 worth of Nickels Spare.
Happy to sell @10p each + postage anywhere in the UK!
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks for the info and offers of help. I’m PMed a couple of people. Cheers
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

there are several ways of getting coins sent from the USA, but you do need a friend on that side of the pond. Sending single rolls has always worked for me, sending several rolls may well not and the weight pushes the price up quickly (US international postage is very high).
Another collector friend used a novel way. he got his US contact to buy a cheap piggy bank, the type to need to break to open, then had 150 dimes (the coins he needed) put into it and posted to him, with "child's piggy bank" on the postal dec, it arrived no problem, interestingly it was opened by UK customs who found no problem with it :lol:
What you really need to do is find someone who is on a cruise that stops in the USA (or St Thomas or Porto Rico) but ends at a non-US port, then you can simply walk into a bank and get the coins and carry them on board to be placed in your luggage (I've done this several times)