Putting Coinslot archive online

General vintage slot machine related topics.
dickywink

Re: Putting Coinslot archive online

Post by dickywink »

cait001 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:52 pm

Hello, did Coin Slot exist before the early 1950s? Or was it born as part of World's Fair in the early 1950s?
I don't want to get confused.

Does anyone here have copies of Coin Slot from before 1966? Any at all?
If so please do get in touch. Thank you!
(66-99 are apparently accounted for currently and will hopefully be digitized eventually.)

As was mentioned in another post here, and confirmed externally, Sheffield doesn't seem to have any of the coin slot inserts in their archive.
As far as I understand... machine articles were featured in World's Fair pre '50s but with the rise of sales of jukeboxes, pinballs, and slot machines to cafes, pubs clubs and arcades in the 50s it was decided to give them its own publication as part of the newspaper.

Looking forward to seeing the digitized versions as this will help greatly with the research for the Ditchburn Project and the Ditchburn Jukebox Museum.

all the best ... Dicky
drglitch

Post by drglitch »

Hello everyone,

Alan Meades here, director of the Nic Costa Archive. Just to add, I have a digital archive of Coin Slots from 1966 - 1999 (plus some others). They weren't part of Nic Costa's collection, though that did contain many paper cuttings from Coin Slot, the best of which can still be seen in his More Automatic Pleasures.

I purchased the files from a well known collector quite a few years ago on the proviso I would not share or sell them on. While I would like to share them, I gave my word. I also haven't spoken with BACTA (who I understand owned Coin Slot during that period), or GB Media to know their stance on it.

The digital archive does exist, and several people have one. It is low resolution and in B/W meaning that images are illegible, but while blocky, the text and many advertisement illustrations are fine.

I'm happy to do searches in the files for specific information though, if that helps?
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

drglitch wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:21 am The digital archive does exist, and several people have one. It is low resolution and in B/W meaning that images are illegible, but while blocky, the text and many advertisement illustrations are fine.
I'm happy to do searches in the files for specific information though, if that helps?

Hi Alan
It would be great if you could do a Ditchburn Search for me
I have sent you a request via PM

all the best ... Dicky
drglitch

Post by drglitch »

Hi Dicky,

Apologies for missing this and not getting back to you sooner - it has been one of those months - let me just leave it like that!

Ok, unfortunately, the Coin Slot search has proven a bit tricky, on account of the sheer profusion of content. In the 4 years between 66-70 I'm getting 126 different documents and issues... a lot of it about the 1969 £1,600,000 takeover bid by Walker & Martin. I think it'll take a while to whittle this down (and likely after I've got over a hump of marking and uni admin). Is there anything about Ditchburn you're after specifically?

All the best,
Alan
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

Hi Alan
Firstly thanks for your reply ... it looks like you have a vast amount of info there ....
and it also looks like it's going to be very difficult for you to process requests for information.

Ditchburn were the largest operator of Jukeboxes in the UK (and the world) during 1955 and 1973 and I was expecting that there would be a lot of information in the archive you have, so the 126 hits does not surprise me.

Sadly I have only been given a handful of cuttings from Coin slot over the years (which I'm extremely grateful for) and I have always known there must be a lot more, so everything and anything Ditchburn would help the museum and history of Ditchburn in a big way...

For example, you mentioned about the bid from Walker and Martin. Even with the many years of research I have done, I was not aware of this bid by them. It just shows what great information you have and how important it is. I am looking for any news items, show reports, adverts, product launches etc., basically everything Ditchburn, so I can preserve this slice of history.

I don't expect you to do all this work for free, and I'm sure like me you don't have time to spend searching and pulling out scans of 126 specific pages for someone else's use. I would personally give a kidney for all these articles, but sadly my kidneys are old and abused, so no point in that. :D
If there is a way that this could be done, I would gladly cover your costs in doing so. Please let me know if this is possible and how we can achieve this.

All the best
Dicky www.ditchburn.co.uk
cait001

Post by cait001 »

I'm "putting my money where my mouth is" in terms of this kind of research on my home turf. I've been stockpiling issues of Canadian Coinbox magazine and will be arranging to have them all scanned and put online over the next few years. I have compiled over 200 magazines and once I have exhausted my initial search I'll be sending the massive piles off by freight to get scanned by other arcade historian types.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Alan Meades also contacted me recently about hosting some of the Nic Costa archive here, which would be cool.
drglitch

Post by drglitch »

I think that some of the content from Nic's archive would be immediately more useful to Penny Machines members - specifically the index cards that capture a great deal of Nic's efforts cataloguing machines, places, and people. I think that they are invaluable as a research archive. I'm not talking about the flyers and other bits, but the thousands of index cards. I'm not sure how much of the information on them is known in the collecting community, but I'm sure it would connect points and tie-up lines of research!
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

pennymachines wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:59 pm Alan Meades also contacted me recently about hosting some of the Nic Costa archive here, which would be cool.
Terrific. 👏
cait001

Post by cait001 »

Bumping this thread again:
I am looking for runs of Coin Slot magazine to purchase and/or borrow.
I will do high resolution scans of all of them, share them freely, and take all legal risks.

If you want to sell them to me, great. If you want them back, I will cover all shipping costs and could even provide an insurance deposit.
Looking for as many as possible, any and all years. (Personally I'm desperate for 1950 to 1974).